diy solar

diy solar

Used high voltage panels with low SCC

Skaffle

Hi all,

I have an EG4 3kw all in one system with up to 500voc input. I’m looking at some used panels on Facebook marketplace. They are First Solar Series 6 panels which seem to be used in more commercial applications than residential. My concern is when I called Signature Solar, the technical support representative said these would charge my battery extremely slow because the SCC is around 2amps. I don’t fully understand how that makes sense because the voltage is higher, therefore the amperage is lower. Maybe I am misunderstanding something. I’ll attach the info sheet to the panels below. Any guidance or suggestions is appreciated.

Thanks a lot!

Attachments

• Series_6_Datasheet.pdf
    396.7 KB · Views: 16
That sounds super confused from SS.

If you get 20% of insolation of STC on a regular spec string of the same voltage you'll also have 2A, so the SCC should be able to handle it.

You'd probably have to go 4p or 6p to make the 3kW rating. Suppose you do 2s on these panels, which will already get you to 440 VOC (hopefully the temperature coefficient and winter temps work out for you). That will get you 800W, but you are already maxed out or worse on voltage.

There could be other subtle electrical or operational issues with thin film style panels. They've come up before on the forum. Have you tried searching? I will follow on this thread to see what others will say, as I don't really have direct interest but I'd like to know what the subtleties are.

You could do a 2s on that EG4 and it would be fine, but you'll regret using thin film panels pretty quickly. They suck for efficiency and production. I'd say that cheap chinesium wind turbines are more accurate in their marketing than thin film panels. :cautious:

You could do a 2s on that EG4 and it would be fine, but you'll regret using thin film panels pretty quickly. They suck for efficiency and production. I'd say that cheap chinesium wind turbines are more accurate in their marketing than thin film panels. :cautious:
How far off are the specs from reality?

Back