diy solar

diy solar

Used Is No Bargain

HRTKD

Boondocker
Staff member
Think the price of new equipment is bad? Used is just as bad. I'm looking for a remote control panel for an older Xantrex inverter. Xantrex discontinued the inverter some time ago and inventory of the remote control panel dried up over the past few months. It was suggested that I try the used parts sites. I didn't find the part so I started poking around to see what a used inverter would cost. A used, 11 year old Xantrex Freedom 3000 inverter is going for well over $1100!!

I'm going to hold out for a new Victron Multiplus II. I can live without a remote control panel until then.

I agree, and its across the board for almost everything. We bought our trailer new about 8 months ago, now a friend of ours is looking at one very similar, used, 1 year old, for $25k more than what we paid for ours new! Ridiculous

The lockdowns worked as intended to destroy suply chains, prices of everything are skyrocketing. Some of the items we were trying to buy have more than tripled in price, 12v lights went from 30 to 45 bucks over night, new mattress jumped 200 bucks and 2 months delivery time over night. Forget trying to buy plywood, prices are triple what we were quoted a week ago. Dont get me started on the Victron inverter we purchased on April 5th and still dont have one that works. But hey the rich are SO much richer now, its all good.

12v lights went from 30 to 45 bucks over night
Have you tried Osram GU5.3 12v. Found in the same section of Bunnings(HomeDepot?) as all the 230v(110v) globes so similar priced.
They start coming on @ 8v and one even stays on below the 2v limit of the gauge.

Back on topic; Maybe high prices are more to do with demand rather than supply. People have just changed their spending habits during the pandemic.

I work in the sheet metal business, where mild steel and stainless steel sheet have absolutely skyrocketed. Similar to wood, mild steel has gone from $0.40/lbs to $1.25/lbs, and stainless has gone from $1.25/lbs to $3.50/lbs.

No body started buying more, but its getting harder and harder to find any!

Ahhhh ..... impossible. Y‘all must be misunderstanding, because the Fed says they have been struggling mightily to get the inflation rate UP to just their 2% target. And Boston‘s Fed Chairman says higher inflation will be as temporary as last year’s toilet-paper shortage.

Those aren’t REALLY higher prices, and they’re just temporary. The Harvard guys say so.

You're looking for a rare discontinued part. Of course it's going to be expensive and has nothing to do with it being used.

Buying used is great. I saved almost $300 on my multiplus by buying it "used" on amazon. Turns out it was new with a damaged box. I also bought used solar panels that look and perform great.

You're looking for a rare discontinued part. Of course it's going to be expensive and has nothing to do with it being used.

Buying used is great. I saved almost $300 on my multiplus by buying it "used" on amazon. Turns out it was new with a damaged box. I also bought used solar panels that look and perform great.

The part I'm looking for is not to be found, at any price. It's just a remote control panel. The high price I quoted was for a used inverter unit in inventory.

The part I'm looking for is not to be found, at any price. It's just a remote control panel. The high price I quoted was for a used inverter unit in inventory.
Cant you use a remote control panel?

I have a remote control panel. The built-in switch on it doesn't work. When I ground the two leads coming off of the switch it turns the inverter on/off. It's a momentary switch. I thought about rigging a new switch in place of the one on the panel and connect it to the existing leads, but it's not that big of a deal.

There is a small circuit board on the remote control panel. So I don't think I can replace the remote control panel with just a simple switch.

Back