diy solar

diy solar

Using 2 2/0 instead of 4/0

jdpenn

If I use two 2/0 battery interconnect cables together instead of one 4/0, would it be comparable in current capacity?

It is all about the wire cross sectional area. 2 x 1/0 is the same as 1 x 4/0. 4 x #3 is the same as 4/0. 2 x 2/0 has more cross section (lower resistance per length) than 1 x 4/0 would have. Smaller diameter wire has some handling advantages.

Here is a chart. Look at the mm2 column and you can see that every 3 sizes the cross sectional area is twice, or half (up or down) the size you are looking at. Inside electric motors it is common to juggle wire sizes in combination to get the cross section just where you want it.

Dan

It is all about the wire cross sectional area. 2 x 1/0 is the same as 1 x 4/0. 4 x #3 is the same as 4/0. 2 x 2/0 has more cross section (lower resistance per length) than 1 x 4/0 would have. Smaller diameter wire has some handling advantages.

Here is a chart. Look at the mm2 column and you can see that every 3 sizes the cross sectional area is twice, or half (up or down) the size you are looking at. Inside electric motors it is common to juggle wire sizes in combination to get the cross section just where you want it.

Dan
This is really good to know! I can save some money by using existing wire and pairing it up instead of buying more. Thanks!

This is really good to know! I can save some money by using existing wire and pairing it up instead of buying more. Thanks!
Just think thru the dual cabling carefully. If you have a fuse or circuit breaker, you need to be sure it interrupts both cables (so either the pair on the + or the - side)

Just think thru the dual cabling carefully. If you have a fuse or circuit breaker, you need to be sure it interrupts both cables (so either the pair on the + or the - side)
Right, treat the pair as one cable. Thanks!

I hope this is saving you a lot of money. I would opt for the correct cable.

I will ALSO ECHO that you want to ensure your cables match up in length exactly, no extra inch here ! also keep the battery cable runs close together (even zip tied) to prevent magnetic fields and more... this is DC not AC.

Given some of the mentioned concerns, I decided to spend another 100 and get 4/0 welding cable. I appreciate everyone's insight. Thanks!

I will ALSO ECHO that you want to ensure your cables match up in length exactly, no extra inch here ! also keep the battery cable runs close together (even zip tied) to prevent magnetic fields and more... this is DC not AC.
I wasn’t aware of the close together issue.
In AC runs, often we string paralleled runs in their own conduit... paralleling 3000MCM I cant imagine tying that stuff together and pulling it in the same chase.

If you keep you DC wire separate you will have EFI / RFI noise thanks to the fields generated. Twisting is not necessary but keeping them together reduces much potential. DC Inductance must be managed.

Back