diy solar

diy solar

Using 2 inverters for reliability

I always thought it was a bad idea to mix batteries of differing capacities. Battery 9 has capacities ranging from 2200mAh to 2950mAh.

What inspired me to even start this project was that an cheap $300 HP laptop bought in 2014 refused to charge the batteries back in 2021. I break the battery pack apart, and they were four Samsung 18650's (ICR-18650-28A) in 2800mAh capacity, measuring between 2300 and 2400mAh with my battery charger (Its a cheap Chinese charger, so I think the mAh counting is a bit inaccurate, because it measures my 5000mAh BAK batteries as being around 4500mAh). I guess the battery BMS refused to allow a charge when the battery sat at a 0% state of charge for an extended period of time.

The replacement battery pack lasted only a year before the BMS in the battery pack refused to charge it (the laptop sat for months at a time not getting used). These batteries are some unknown brand, labelled as SZNS HO6N042FQ, 3.7V - 8.14Wh, 3 of them (they're supposed to be 2200mAh, basically these). Not sure what happened to the 4th.

Then there was the battery pack from my Milwaukee drill, that I took apart (I no longer had the drill, it stopped working). These are 9 Sony 1600mAh 10A 18650's. The battery I no longer have, I dented the top side trying to break the plastic holder together before I realized the internal battery pack holder had bolts holding it together, and since I didn't have any torx screwdrivers at the time, I used an appropriately sized drill bit to get the bolt head off.

I can probably make a simple 12.6V battery pack using these. I do have a simple 3S BMS (make a 3S5P battery for 100Wh), and a combined 16 of the 18650's (plus 4 in the newer HP laptop battery pack)

Also, a rather expensive mistake, I overheated a DeWalt 20V, 10Ah battery pack (these things are $200), using it with the drill. Two cells went open and would no longer hold a charge (no smoke came from the pack - but you could smell something). These are Samsung 50S, 25A continuous, 45A max discharge, 5000mAh batteries. I looked high and low for these batteries, and couldn't find them anywhere for sale. If I did find them, they were $20 a piece. That's why I went with the BAK batteries. They can be found on 18650 Battery Store for $4.50 now (on sale, normally $6.99).

So, in all, for the 18650's...
6 - 2400mAh
9 - 1600mAh

For the 21700's
7 - 5000mAh (Just tested one, and its completely dead, below 2.2V, the rest are good)

Last edited:
I always thought it was a bad idea to mix batteries of differing capacities. Battery 9 has capacities ranging from 2200mAh to 2950mAh
The short answer is 'it's OK' but we're way off base for this thread. Building batteries with individual, 2nd hand cells is a genre of it's own and not really mainstream for this forum. Suggest looking at youtube channels such as early @jehugarcia, early @HBPowerwall, and DIY Tech & Repairs (old but relevant for 18650) as some starting places with good/correct info - they (and few others) are what I based my work on.

Last edited:
Yes. Each inverter powers it's own distribution panel (with regular breakers) out to circuits. So each inverter powers a different set of circuits. However, the panels are cross connected so that by flipping breakers either panel can power the other. So a single inverter can power both distribution panels - and all the circuits - if need be. Of course if all loads are on at the same time it will overload a single inverter (that's why I have 2 inverters) but that can be managed by serializing use or disabling some of the circuits (turning breakers off) during the emergency period.
View attachment 204309
This is brilliant!

This is my battery. That's an 8AWG wire there on the main negative side of the battery. I'm using 0.1 x 10mm nickel strips that are double stacked. The interconnection between + and +/- and - are two strips of .1x5mm. I'm using 0.1 strip because my spot welder was having difficulty making consistent spot welds with 0.2 strips. I am completely redoing the strips, pulling off the 0.2 strips (if I can) to put the 0.1 strips on.

Solid strips tying those cells together.
Concern would be a shorted cell getting force-fed current from all the others.
A known or anticipated problem, and strips with individual fusing per cell is available.

diy solar

diy solar
Back