diy solar

diy solar

Using Chargverter as generator input for Sol-Ark 15K set up for Smart Load

JimP

I am putting in a Sol-Ark 15K and I'd like to use the generator connection in the Smart Load mode so I can shed those loads when the grid is down (unless I turn them on manually).

So, both for redunancy on battery charging and to regain a generator input, I am thinking an EG4 Chargeverter could be just the thing. I would never have the Chargeverter charging from generator when there was sun, but if I did, would the chargers confuse each other? I wouldn't think so, and of course the inverter would consume any power from the generator on the 48v busbars that it wanted, but that's just fine.

Just to be clear:
* generator -> Chargeverter -> battery busbars <-> Solark 15K
* a rack of 6 EG4-LL 48v 100AH batteries also connected to busbars, and closed loop comms with the 15K

Anything I should be aware of here?

Thanks!

That is the intended way to connect the Chargeverter. I think this is also good in case you get into some kind of dark start situation where the hybrid isn’t able to get the solar started due to low SoC

Curious what people have to say about SoC monitoring with an external charger — does it require battery comms on to read the internal shunt state

Curious what people have to say about SoC monitoring with an external charger — does it require battery comms on to read the internal shunt state
As long as the chargeverter doesn't bypass whatever means you use to monitor SOC. SOC monitoring should remain accurate.

Just installed the EG4 Chargeverter. Should the V be set at the batteries Absorption voltage? I have Fullriver DC1150-2 Batteries wired together in a 48V System. The data sheet says the absorption voltage is 58.8V, Bulk 58.8V. and Float at 54.6V.

I currently have the EG4 Chargverter set at 52V and 80 Amps for a total of 4,160W going to the busbar (not sure if that amount is actually going to the batteries since my understanding is that some of that power could be going to house as well). The batteries are charging, just wanted to see what others thought about the Voltage setting on the Chargverter.

Bulk, to charge quickly.
Float, if you are going to leave it running continuously after charging.

Possibly the wrong thread, so my apologies if so. There has been discussion about the 6500's not liking the AC in from the grid. Some have tossed around and tried the EG4 Chargeverter as a fix for this issue.

Has anyone tried using something like the EG4 3000HEV-48 and the following configuration?

3000HEV-48 grid tied at the ac in. 3000HEV-48 tied to the battery bank(in user mode if possible) without the battery communication cable(breaker in between). Have 8 panels(290-330 watts) wired in series to the 3000HEV-48 and within the voltage limits to account for cold weather.
I guess my rationale is that the 6500's never use the ac in, just the out and battery charger. The 3000HEV-48 as an independent system would use the solar panels and ac in when it needed to to help keep the batteries charged. I have a detached garage and part of the roof faces east so the morning hours I'm not collecting any energy. I could fit 8 panels in this location to catch energy from sun up till about noon. While the price for the 3000HEV-48 almost dbl the Chargeverter the extra price allows you to use solar.

Fairly new to the solar diy. About a year in. My first system was the Growatt 12k which I loved but outgrew. Currently on 6500's (the second pair).
I have tried to eliminate as much of my power usage a s possible. Switched to a heat pump dyer and hot water heater and learned to do most of my heavy stuff at peak sun hours.

Also it doesn't have to be the 3000HEV-48. That was just the one I was looking at for the price.

Any thoughts, suggestions, concerns or add-ons?

Last edited:
Back