diy solar

diy solar

Using excess solar to heat house

I did the same thing with resistance heaters and window AC units until I got a mini-split - now I run that in heating/cooling to assist the central system. Everything in my house runs off-grid except the electric clothes drier and the outdoor central AC compressor. During the summer I'll always have a "cold room" if the main power goes out.
Nice I'm defiantly going to install some mini splits at some point. I've thought about changing my electric dryer for a gas unit at some point. Just because I would not have anything using split phase. Then again a 220 volt hot tub sure sounds nice. ? Even though its a total waste of power.

Last edited:
i use thermosyphon solar. its passive solar but works great on my metal building. my system doesnt have excess in winter, but does in summer as well. I dont care, ihave huge propane tank and generators if solar is not cutting it. Cut the cord to the grid years ago.

i use thermosyphon solar. its passive solar but works great on my metal building. my system doesnt have excess in winter, but does in summer as well. I dont care, ihave huge propane tank and generators if solar is not cutting it. Cut the cord to the grid years ago.
I’m not allowed to cut the cord in my suburban environment (albeit in the middle of the desert in the same climate as Las Vegas), so my goal is to get the best ROI for as little as possible, while still having a reasonable amount of independence if everything goes sideways. I’ve found it’s pretty easy to deal with 90% of my load 90% of the time. To deal with the other 10% would require like four times the size of system than what I have.

If you look at it as trying to cover 100% of your needs it will be difficult. If you look at it as always having the grid but opportunistically displacing your usage than you can get the most for the least. It is an extension of a builditsolar.com type philosophy.

If you buy propane from some place, you still haven't reached energy independence. And in many places it would be more expensive as well.

@HighCountry2020 Yes. I am in Europe. Very much gas reliant unfortunately.
However, putting a gas tank in the garden is not better than using it indirectly.

For me I am only short of roughly 1000kWh during the winter. Which I take from the grid.
I will not going to take some small generator to make up that last part, unless energy systems start failing. I could decide that for next winter.
But for now, I don't want to put a small generator next to my house if the big generator in a power plant is more efficient and still reliable.

But my house isn't the problem. The whole society is leaning to much on gas, and has been switching to gas in recent years.

That is true. However it is wise to not put all your eggs in one basket so maybe a diverse energy strategy is worth the added cost and hassle.
I can think of several examples where solar will fail 100% but diesel, propane, and firewood will not. Could mean the difference of pumping water or not or staying warm or cool. I think Europe/Germany may be figuring this out as well.
Ding ding ding! winner of the smart post award.

@HighCountry2020 Yes. I am in Europe. Very much gas reliant unfortunately.
However, putting a gas tank in the garden is not better than using it indirectly.

For me I am only short of roughly 1000kWh during the winter. Which I take from the grid.
I will not going to take some small generator to make up that last part, unless energy systems start failing. I could decide that for next winter.
But for now, I don't want to put a small generator next to my house if the big generator in a power plant is more efficient and still reliable.

But my house isn't the problem. The whole society is leaning to much on gas, and has been switching to gas in recent years.
add a wood fired stove and set a saw off to the side. even if its currently looked down upon, when the SHTF and you have a chainsaw a wood stove and firewood, you can heat, cook sterilize and bathe. FTMFW. BTW the chainsaw can be run on a mixture of animal fat and alcohol.

I'm not worried about what people think that's why I have a diverse energy supply and that includes solar as well as fossil fuels and firewood.
If I could have my own oil well and refinery I would and I would be energy independent but the closest I can come to that is solar and maybe some wind and firewood.

To believe Al Gore and the end of everything due to global warming is nonsense. These are the same people in charge who lied to everyone about covid and the mrna vaccine as well. Bottom line is you can't trust them and far better to use your own brain than rely on someone else's.
good answer sir, good answer!

add a wood fired stove and set a saw off to the side. even if its currently looked down upon, when the SHTF and you have a chainsaw a wood stove and firewood, you can heat, cook sterilize and bathe. FTMFW. BTW the chainsaw can be run on a mixture of animal fat and alcohol.
I have a battery operated chainsaw which is brilliant power wise & I can charge off my solar panels!!

The house is pretty new and it is not even finished. In purely renewables, I was thinking of making the battery bigger (up to 100kWh) and placing a windmill (there is lots of wind in the winter) as well as a recycle shower.

That way it will become even less, below 500kWh.

I could add a woodstove and use its heat. I would not need so much. I have some laying around, and I would just order a pallet.
We typically have some way to cook anyway.

Lets say that we will see how it goes up to next winter. And it isn't that hard for me to change it.

I have a battery operated chainsaw which is brilliant power wise & I can charge off my solar panels!!
I am a chainsaw enthusiast. I have been waiting for the batteries to come up a little more in capacity before i commit, but I have been watching the batter ones real close lately. currently i use about 7 meters³ per year to heat on the weekends and the occasional long stay at the cabin. I split using a hydraulic splitter I built from scrap with a 8hp petrol engine, but I have a spare electric motor and a smaller pump that I could change and still use the splitter. it would a lot slower in comparison to the gasoline engine, but I have the parts already stocked.

I am a chainsaw enthusiast. I have been waiting for the batteries to come up a little more in capacity before i commit, but I have been watching the batter ones real close lately. currently i use about 7 meters³ per year to heat on the weekends and the occasional long stay at the cabin. I split using a hydraulic splitter I built from scrap with a 8hp petrol engine, but I have a spare electric motor and a smaller pump that I could change and still use the splitter. it would a lot slower in comparison to the gasoline engine, but I have the parts already stocked.
I know it's off topic, but as an enthusiast what's your opinion on the Einhell Power X-Change 10 inch 18V Cordless Chainsaw model GE-LC 18/25 Li With 3.0 Ah Battery (it's the one I have)

I bought it as I have a number of Ozito and Einhell tools and the batteries are interchangeable. Been using it to take down a few trees and think it's a great electric chainsaw

The house is pretty new and it is not even finished. In purely renewables, I was thinking of making the battery bigger (up to 100kWh) and placing a windmill (there is lots of wind in the winter) as well as a recycle shower.

I could add a woodstove and use its heat. I would not need so much. I have some laying around, and I would just order a pallet.

Lets say that we will see how it goes up to next winter. And it isn't that hard for me to change it.
just add a small stove as an emergency backup. even fed with dead fall scraps it can put out a lot of heat during the coldest hours, as well as cook. one of my favorites is deer stew on top of the wood stove. takes about 5 or 8 hours on low heat, but its free, heat and food at the same time. and you can do that bare minimum just off of scraps that fall through the year. That coupled with a geo thermal heat pump and you can heat and cool the house even with a small battery bank. mine is only 30kw (48 volt) and I manage pretty well. never below about 23°c in the coldest months. I only use the heat pump in the spring to dry out the house from humidity, but I could heat the house to about 15°c in the winter even without fire wood. Its all about balance. I just wish I had a good spring or stream next to the house... thats 24/7 power for free, even if its low output.

I know it's off topic, but as an enthusiast what's your opinion on the Einhell Power X-Change 10 inch 18V Cordless Chainsaw model GE-LC 18/25 Li With 3.0 Ah Battery (it's the one I have)

I bought it as I have a number of Ozito and Einhell tools and the batteries are interchangeable. Been using it to take down a few trees and think it's a great electric chainsaw
Shoot I would love to ask you whats best! unfortunately here in japan there is no chance to pretest something prior to buying, so I have been watching the reviews on various forums to try and figure out which one I should start out with... Currently i run Husky gas powered pro level units. (i rebuild blown units from companies that use them daily for work.) so they are cheap for me. but when i make the jump to electric I will be buying new.

100 Kwh is a really large bank, and will run your house for a long time even if you are a power hog. but you will need a large array to keep them charged if you are running them hard. say you get 4 hours of good solar per day, you would need at least 20-25 kw of solar just to charge them and run most of your house at the same time. (these are off the cuff numbers). but if you can afford that big of a battery bank then the peripherals are not that bad as the costs are coming down daily. I bought used panels that were 5 y/o or newer and have 7.2kw here in japan the panels alone would be about 40K usd new, but I spent less than 4k on used panels that were all top tier used <5 years old and removed from houses due to upgrades/new construction etc. etc. Not knowing the costs of panels in your area I cant speak on the cost, but I think if you are diligent you can do it reasonably priced.

My 3 year old used 250w panels , were $58 each.
I've bought 6kw so far, and will probably triple my array for that low price.

Back