diy solar

diy solar

Using one 12V charger to parallel charge batteries in 4S2P bank

Sal23

I have a Victron 12V 30A charger. I need to charge the 48V 4S2P bank to 100% SOC before syncing to Victron Smartshunt so SOC can be tracked going forward. Also, I might repeat it on other setups I am helping others with.

I wired up a 4 way parallel connection with a 100amp dual busbar and MBRF fuses (50A Blue Sea Systems) for each of the positive terminals. The charger is connected to busbars diagonally to keep the round-trip resistance for each of the four connections about the same. I did measure it with a micro ohm meter for each of the four connections - about 6 milliohms round trip (1.5mohm for negative, 4.5 ohm for positive with additional resistance from fuses).

However, as soon as the second battery is connected to the busbar, it seems arcing happens in the last terminal connection to be made since now the two battery groups are in parallel, and will try to rebalance (but should be small as calculated above). It seems arcing was strong enough to blow two fuses (no short-circuit here - all connections were tested with 4 wire method for small variations in resistance, and against short-circuit).

Before starting, I confirmed that each of the battery group had equal voltage - max 10mv difference with multimeter. 3 were less than 5mv difference (i.e., identical on DMM). So, max balancing current should be 10mv/6 mohm ~1.7a.

So, it seems to me I have missed something here. 50A fuses shouldn't blow when batteries in the bank (which is not connected to anything else, not even the charger - so, open circuit) are resting and are at very small potential difference, no more than 10mv (checked with both Klein and hioki DMMs).

I have couple of questions:
- Is there some kind of higher inrush current (especially, since I used Andersen connectors to connect the pair of clamps for each group to corresponding paired connection on busbar, correct polarity, no short-circuit in connections)? That would blow out some of the fuses? If this is the case, how would one go about calculating the inrush current?
- Are there any kind of inductive switches that I can use for each of the four connections, to turn them on one by one, and avoid arcing when the connection is switched on, through smoother current introduction?

BTW, to repeat, polarities are correct, no short-circuit, no loose connections (checked via 4 wire resistance meter).

I am aware of battery equalizer and have one of them. However, it is very convenient to be able to parallel charge the batteries using a slow 12V 30A charger like Victron, and have them balance nicely through paralelization. Useful once in a while. I am aware of alternative approaches like charging one group at a time, and using the equalizer to smooth out the differences. I am very curious about what I got wrong above, and will very much appreciate knowledge sharing from those who have already solved this.

Please feel free to ask if anything not clear. BTW, batteries are 12v 410Ah PowerQueen (in case any questions about BMS behavior). There is no balancing current flow at rest (verified with hioki clamp meter after 0 adjustment).

You just learned that you can't do this because the wiring creates a short. Period. No exceptions and no way around it. Before you connect the second battery to the bus bar, you will be able to visually trace a short circuit.

If you can't visualize it, post a picture, and I'll show you.

You must charge each 12V individually or break the bank down and put them in parallel @ 12V.

Charge each of them individually at 12V. Then parallel them at 12V and float it. Let them achieve optimum balance. Then series them back up for 48V. Consider a balancer to keep them aligned

I don't understand what you are doing with the buses. Do you have a negative bus as well?

I just can't visualize it what he is describing - must be so off the wall I just wouldn't consider it.

@robbob2112 , separate busbars indeed. And @sunshine_eggo is right! I have made a quite expensive and time-consuming short-circuit :) Headslap moment, and thank you folks for helping me figure this out. Much appreciated. Visuals below.

Here are the diagrams of two scenarios. When batteries are in series, negative and positive ends will short-circuit through series connection. Hence, one must break series connection.
short_circuit_diagram.png

Last edited:
@robbob2112 , separate busbars indeed. And @sunshine_eggo is right! I have made a quite expensive and time-consuming short-circuit :) Headslap moment, and thank you folks for helping me figure this out. Much appreciated. Visuals below.

Here are the diagrams of two scenarios. When batteries are in series, negative and positive will ends will short-circuit through series connection. Hence, one must break series connection.
View attachment 218304
Ah ha and ha ha

I get it now

Here are the diagrams of two scenarios. When batteries are in series, negative and positive will ends will short-circuit through series connection. Hence, one must break series connection.
View attachment 218304

If it makes it any better, you are far from the first to try this. I'll congratulate you on adding fuses.

Nah, I feel good about learning from you folks about how to parallel charge correctly and dangers to avoid. So, I am happy to spend that time and money. Cost of education imo. Failsafe design to allow for worst mistakes. Hence, appropriate fuses (to handle short-circuit current of ~9ka per battery and quickly),closed electrical box to hold busbar and fuses (bolted down all of them to prevent accidental short-circuit) and safety gear. Fuses just blew quietly, there was some arcing, and two of the Anderson connector pins were burnt a bit (soft silver coated copper).

I will use the parallel setup after breaking the bank down.

One question about paralleling two batteries - just want to make sure I got it right. If I have two cells at say 0.05v difference, and the round-trip resistance of the connecting wires is ~12mohm, then the initial balancing current should be 0.05/0.012 ~4.2a. So, should be safe to connect two batteries in parallel without too much arcing, right? Is there some kind of inductive or capacitive switch I could use for future experiments - don't like resistor approach because it will continuously burn off energy instead of smoothly going down to zero. Something that helps smoothly ramp up balancing current instead of big step change. Battery balancer is another approach. A smoothing switch will be nice to have as alternative.

Arcing typically requires a noteworthy voltage difference. The batteries also have internal resistance, so you're probably closer to 20mΩ with that wiring (which is high resistance wiring).

Generally speaking, 0.2V delta between two batteries shouldn't produce excessive current or arcing. I put two cells in parallel @ 0.25V delta, and I got 82A initial flow with no arcing:

diy solar

diy solar
Back