diy solar

diy solar

Using push on welding connectors from battery to inverter

Glots222

Sorry if this appears twice. Tried posting but couldn’t find it so don’t know if it worked.IMG_0697.pngI may end up with two separate battery banks.
One AGM one LiFePO4 both with separate controllers but I would like to use the same inverter. (Separately not at same time).
I was considering using welding quick connectors like on arc welders so I could just plug in & unplug. Easy to change.
Haven’t really seen any used for this purpose.
I can’t really see a problem with this but asking if case I’m missing something.

Attachments

• IMG_0697.png
    IMG_0697.png
    532.9 KB · Views: 4
This that wiggle and power connections for solar are two things I don't think I would want anything to do with personally.

The greater the number of connections, the greater the potential voltage drop. When you are talking high current loads it is best to use the most solid and stable connections imho. All it takes is even a momentary poor connection with high current draw and things get hot very quickly. It also depends on your application. Anderson connectors may be a better choice. If you plan to use these only when you are around and the cable are stationary, then you will probably be ok. But bouncing down the road in a camper may not be a good as they do not appear to "lock" together.

Think I’m convinced.
Going with solid direct connections.
I guess I can spend five or ten minutes changing some bolts.
Won’t be doing it often.
Would be nice just to be able to plug it in.
I’ll make sure everything is easily reachable.

Think I’m convinced.
Going with solid direct connections.
I guess I can spend five or ten minutes changing some bolts.
Won’t be doing it often.
Would be nice just to be able to plug it in.
I’ll make sure everything is easily reachable.
That's the most reliable and probably safest, but higher current Anderson connectors would work and be easy to apply and allow you to switch. You could also use a boat battery selector switch. They can handle high current. Connect the grounds together, but the only danger is if you accidently switch the switch to "both."

Here is an example of some higher current handling connectors:

Back