diy solar

diy solar

UTILIZING GRID TIE INVERTER OFF GRID - $100 REWARD FOR SOLUTION

I've had a hard time locating the actual range of the Prius battery while running/charging. It might go slightly over 250v. The Midnight would still work though as it has that buffer zone protection thing. You would want to cap the amps on the Midnite though. I don't recall what model year he said his Prius is, but the 1st, 2nd and 3rd gen Prius shouldn't be run over 3000watts continuous from the traction battery system according to the Plugout Power guy.

Idle charge is around 5kW. It cycles between about 40% SoC and 47-52% SoC.

It could bust 250V, but it's pretty rare under idle charging, though cold can influence that. With forced charging, you can really get up there... 280V and as much as 20kW (that the power limit on MG1 - almost impossible to get above 16kW).

The plugout power units have 450V MPPT that are attached to the battery.

Last edited:
So how about this @joesmith123

the Prius can do 700ws an hour from it's 12v ,if it can do it constantly, thats 16.8kw a day

I'd go:

A boosted mppt from the Prius, 12v >24v ,

24v battery bank of your choosing, and a normal bog standard inverter to run your loads

Simple easy viable solution.

Depending on inverter/ battery choice ect.. (I'd go AGM), . I reckon you could do it for less than $1,000

.... that's not including my $100 of course ?
With that setup, it would be going from 220VDC -> 12 VDC -> 24VDC -> 110VAC
The better route: 220VDC-240VAC

Its better on the car for the long run, because for the car to go from 220VDC down to 12VDC will be the throttle

After 400 posts, I'm not even sure what the goal is anymore. If it's just to get more than 700w from the traction battery. It's fairly simple to do.
You could also add a battery and/solar if desired. (Now or in the future)
Tapping into the high voltage side of the prius can do 3.6KW reliably, and I can run machines, grinders, saws, etc which i need to do

The 12 volt side is dumb to use if I need real power

European model, default 230V 50 Hz.
People do abuse them into US 240V 60 Hz split-phase with an auto-transformer.
Look into US 120V or 120/240V models, closer to your application.

If you connect a larger 12V battery, you'll be able to start larger loads and run them for a while.

That could work, to either 48V or 12V battery.
What is maximum voltage the 220V battery could reach? Midnight Classic 250 might accept that, and deliver 60A at 12V or 48V

Which is what someone described in another thread. The AIO was fed EV battery voltage into its PV input.

I remember you said that awhile ago, and I connected a huge 12 V battery in addition to the prius 12 volt battery, didnt make 1 difference

I thought it would, since the prius battery is small

"Deliver 60 amps at 12v or 48v" - where does this apply? My understanding: 220VDC (prius) -> mightnight classic PV input -> House panel split phase 240VAC

I dont get how the 12v/48v applies

The MPP solar AIO has 500v max solar input so no issues handling the 220vdc Prius battery

I think this is the cheapest solution for OP that's been offered so far. Not sure about duty and costs for the USA , but works out at £650~ delivered to the UK inc. tax

Looking forward to my $100 ! ?
Yes that item so far is the cheapest and most promising, but I doubt it will run a saw/air compressor/anything high amps (which i need)

But i will look into it

Yes this item is perfect, although it looks very low quality, but price is great

MPP solar have a good reputation for what they are , but if that's not suitable .

How about this option I posted last page:

"plenty of solar charge controllers can take 220v input from the Prius battery

220v Prius > MPPT 100a @ 48v > 4s 12v batteries > inverter > loads

100amp @ 48v gives you 4.8kw to use continuously, the 4s 12v batteries act as a float so they wouldnt degrade cause you'd never actually be cycling them ..."

If you went for separate components rather than an 'all in one' you get to pick and choose what you need

If you want to run big motors / machines you'll want a low frequency inverter like this or others:

I've had a hard time locating the actual range of the Prius battery while running/charging. It might go slightly over 250v. The Midnight would still work though as it has that buffer zone protection thing. You would want to cap the amps on the Midnite though. I don't recall what model year he said his Prius is, but the 1st, 2nd and 3rd gen Prius shouldn't be run over 3000watts continuous from the traction battery system according to the Plugout Power guy.
Yes while connecting a volt meter to the prius, it doesnt go over 220VDC

I'm not revving the engine, just letting it fill up its traction battery at the factory rate and that what it shows, I have a video of that i think

I have read that they can do 3.6KW reliably

The problem is the 12V side cant run an AC and a fridge at the same time

MPP solar have a good reputation for what they are , but if that's not suitable .

How about this option I posted last page:

"plenty of solar charge controllers can take 220v input from the Prius battery

220v Prius > MPPT 100a @ 48v > 4s 12v batteries > inverter > loads

100amp @ 48v gives you 4.8kw to use continuously, the 4s 12v batteries act as a float so they wouldnt degrade cause you'd never actually be cycling them ..."
You seem to be on to something

Please reference these "charge controllers" so I can calculate cost etc

In your example, there are 2 inverters, the "mppt 100a @ 48 volts" and the other inverter going from 48VDC to 240VAC?

I am asking, and not stating

If you went for separate components rather than an 'all in one' you get to pick and choose what you need

If you want to run big motors / machines you'll want a low frequency inverter like this or others:
Not suitable because:

I have 220VDC to work with, why would i want to go down to 24VDC and the come back to 240VAC

Its inefficient

"Deliver 60 amps at 12v or 48v" - where does this apply? My understanding: 220VDC (prius) -> mightnight classic PV input -> House panel split phase 240VAC

The Classic could draw from 220V traction battery and deliver ~ 60A at 12V (720W) or at 48V (2880W) to charge a different battery system. A bit more watts at whatever slight higher voltage.

From there you can run a 12V to 120V or 48V to 120V inverter. With modest 48V battery (e.g. four car batteries in series) you could start and run some larger tools, given a decent inverter.

I would go with an AIO that is capable of battery less operation. You don't need an extra battery because you don't need a buffer. Since the traction battery is a stable power source.

Do that with extra battery. What it draws from PV input (your traction battery) is limited in current and likely ramps up slowly.
With a 48V starting battery bank, you can draw 700 "cranking" amps to kick over a large motor [edit - HV inverter, so only as much starting current as it was designed for; some are]. It will then recharge and float, drawing from lithium traction battery.

This is what I would like to do to add lithium to my Sunny Island AGM system.

Why would the traction battery have a problem ramping up? It's just a battery. Unless there's something else between the battery and the AIO.

I would go with an AIO that is capable of battery less operation. You don't need an extra battery because you don't need a buffer. Since the traction battery is a stable power source.
Yes totally, although there are plans to put solar panels, but i do see many inverters have 2 solar inputs, I would use 1 from the prius, and the other from the panels

Why would the traction battery have a problem ramping up? It's just a battery. Unless there's something else between the battery and the AIO.

The AIO thinks it is fed by PV and it ramps current draw up or down to implement MPPT.
Some AIO have HV DC rail shared by inverter, MPPT, bidirectional battery charger (SolArk)
If the MPP is just PV to battery, would definitely be slow (since batteryless, likely to HV caps). Otherwise, your surge is whatever comes from HV capacitor.

An inverter designed for good surge will be better for starting motors. Some old brands, and Midnight Rosie does 2x rated output for 60 seconds (but that isn't hybrid, no PV input.)

diy solar

diy solar
Back