diy solar

diy solar

Valence U27-12XP

Cliffman

Looking for some help on my newly purchased used 12v 135 ah Lithium Valence batteries. I have 4 wired in parallel in my RV. I'm using a Go Power IC-3000 Inverter/charger. I have EQ turned off and my bulk is set to 14.6 and my float is set to 13.8. I have connected to the batteries using the Valence software and I can read the on board BMS data. When NOT being charged the "cell spread" is nice and low under 10 but when I'm charging the cell spread goes way up and when setting on a float charge they wont balance. If I turn off the charger the BMS cell balance starts working and the "cell spread" comes down to under 10. I'm hoping there's someone on this site who has these batteries and knows how to setup the charging scheme. Thanks in Advance!

Attachments

• Valence Battery Read after Full Charge_001.jpg
    Valence Battery Read after Full Charge_001.jpg
    104.5 KB · Views: 92
  • Valence Charging.pdf
    220.9 KB · Views: 105
Last edited:
I've noticed similar, not sure it's a problem. When I added two batteries to my bank they were way off from the others. After a few cycles all settled to reading about the same. I don't remember for sure but, my settings are about the same. Under load balance stays pretty close. I don't know that this is unusual.
do other cell balancers read in mV? At this point I'm not worrying too much about it.

Cliffman - can you post a link to the Valence software?

How are you able to use it - what are you using to connect to the batteries to use the software? thanks I have 4 of those batteries also, so any help would be greatly appreciated.

What pc system are you using to run the software?
Ive tried 3 different serial adapters in windows 10, 7 32 bit, 7 64 bit and windows XP and I keep getting a “battery not found” message. I can see the rx/tx lights flash but the software doesn’t see the battery. Any ideas on what I’m doing wrong ?

Not all Valence batteries have an internal BMS for disconnect protection.

Last edited:
On Will's video I purchased some used Valence U27-12XP batteries. I learned only later the BMS for the XP battery is external. Valence would not sell it to me they are an OE ssolution provider. I ruined the batteries with an alternator that charged to high thinking the internal BM system would protect.

I delivered them to a marine electrical shop, they tested for energy capacity and gave me bad news. Capacity is not what the seller said it was. I wish Will had been clear these batteries are not BM system protected inside the box and the protections for this battery are external. Expensive lesson..
The Valence U27-12XP do have an internal BMS that takes care of cell balancing. If you were charging with an automotive alternator I doubt that you got them fully charged. I would be interested in what kind of testing was done. If the testing was done simply with some sort of lead acid load test it probably isn't accurate. I suggest you hook them up to a computer using the software and adapter discussed and see what the SOC is.

From the Valence website

"Our battery modules are energy storage devices that can be configured in a variety of ways to meet the particular requirements of an application. To do so requires a properly configured Valence Battery Management System (BMS) for the system parameters and contactors. Generic or non-Valence BMS units are not suitable for use with Valence batteries. For safety reasoning, configuring of a Valence BMS needs to be performed by Valence or its authorized reseller. We do not support Valence products that have not been purchased directly from Valence or through an approved reseller."

Has anyone tried the muller industries bms? it may alleviate alot of problems associated with battery management but it is not designed by valence its a third party.

also here is a link to the complete battery manual for valence xp batteries.

Attachments

• Valence XP-Power-System-User-Manual-Rev-4-8.pdf
    3.6 MB · Views: 88
Has anyone tried the muller industries bms? it may alleviate alot of problems associated with battery management but it is not designed by valence its a third party.

also here is a link to the complete battery manual for valence xp batteries.

I'd be interested to know this as well. I have a couple of them and I'd like to add more to the bank - but no way am I going to spend huge chunks of money without knowing exactly what's going on under the hood.

I am new to the group, but in a situation similar to others here. Purchased two U27-12XP's off of Ebay without fully understanding the difference between the XP and the RT series. I will be using them for boondocking in a travel trailer and charging with solar. I also went through the route of talking to someone at Valence. He also told me that they do not sell BMS's without selling a system of batteries. He did tell me that the BMS software needs to be configured for the setup (e.g., number of batteries in series, parallel, and their numbers, etc). They just don't find that very cost effective from an application engineering perspective. They are considering selling a larger unit with a BMS in it, but it will be out of my price range either way. I asked if I really needed a BMS if I am running the batteries in parallel and if I were willing to give up some capacity given the mild characteristics of LifePo4 - I briefly worked as a controls engineer for a battery manufacturer in a past life and I am slightly familiar with the topic. He said that I could probably get away with setting an external disconnect voltage of 12V and limit charging to 14 or maybe 14.2 volts. I decided that I will give this a shot.

I have been doing some tests with the batteries individually. I have been charging using a BN series Epever MPPT to 14.2 V and discharging at about 125 W's. I can get about 1300 W.hr out of one battery and about 1400 W.hr out of the other when I disconnect at 12 V. A little less than I expected, but still meets my needs reasonably well. I can also tell that by the time I hit 12 V's I am on the tail of the discharge curve and the voltage will yield fairly fast. If I had measurements from individual cells and if I did let them drop to 2.5 V per cell, I might get another 100 W.hr's is my guess. I do want to get the monitoring function working so that I can get a feel for how many cycles are on these things and what the cell voltages are. I am guessing over a thousand cycles, but less than a couple thousand.

My inverter does not have an adjustable low voltage cut-off, so I bought a Victron BP-220 for low voltage protection. I haven't used it yet. The Epever has a low voltage protection on the load side, but I can't tell what is the maximum load allowed on that auxiliary output, so I am assuming that it is probably limited to 40 A, which is the charge limitation. I don't think I can connect the inverter to the load output of the solar charger. If someone has a better idea for low voltage protection or an opinion on whether this will work well, please let me know. Maybe a similarly priced inverter with an adjustable low voltage cutoff? I just got the inverter and I can return it.

I also talked to the people at Muller Industries and I am a little disappointed. The MIUSA-BMSLV was originally listed at $300, which is a reasonable price for it in my opinion. It is currently listed at $500 and out of stock. They said that they will have it back in stock by the end of the month, but the price will be $600. That is quite a lot. I can see it being worth it if you need to put the batteries in series and have batteries in pretty decent shape, but this is not the case for me. Best case scenario, I would get another 100 W.hr's out of these batteries and that is basically $3 for w.hr of extra capacity. That is quite a lot: about ten times what I paid for these things. I think I will take my chances running without a BMS. I might also see if I can make the OpenXPBMS work for my application.

I've performed several test on my 4) U27-12XP Wired in Parallel. I started at a float voltage of 13.6 pulled 50 amps continuously. Low Voltage Cut Off set to 10.75. Started at 8:30 am and finished at 6:15 PM when my iPower IC-3000 kick in with a Low Voltage Cut Off setting of 11.75 which accuracy is questionable. Pulled 401 AH per Victron Shunt. I'm very pleased with this test given that I started at a float voltage of 13.6 and shut down at 10.75 which is conservative highs and low settings. I could push'em to get all the AH's but way take a chance of damaging or shorting the life from 5000 cycles to 3000 cycles. I'll take that all day long... For many days! This pic is about 1 minute after I plugged into 50 amp shore power. 1584533331694.png

As far as protection goes my inverter has a Low Voltage and High voltage shutdown feature and a Low and High temp shutdown. It's not full proof but given the worse case scenario of my inverter shutting down all that's left to drain my batteries is DC current which is pretty low draws in my coach.

Thanks, Cliffman. Good info. That sounds pretty consistent with what I am seeing out of my batteries. I wouldn't want to move that low voltage cut-off without monitoring cell group voltages especially during a hot discharge. I could see a current-based cut-off threshold, but I also might be OK with the system tripping if SOC is low and I am drawing a lot of power...

IC-3000 is definitely beyond my budget or my needs. Nice machine, though.

Back