diy solar

diy solar

VariCore 3.2V 90Ah LiFePO4 cells from AliExpress

carlos1w

Lego Man
Did anybody buy some of these cells or sets (VariCore 3.2V 90Ah LiFePO4 cells from AliExpress)? They are really inexpensive for their "paper specs" (i.e., $50 a piece). Any experience with these?

AliExpress is the "worse" location to search for cheap cells.

Alibaba have way better pricing.
Example:
Haomi (Standard bus-bars + screws)
3.2V 120AH Lifepo4 Battery for $37.50
152Ah LiFePo4 $ 42.00

This was the price a month ago.
It can be different now.

Many people on this forum also like Xuba (standard bus-bars + screws)
3.2v 152Ah LiFePo4 Battery $ 43.00
3.2v 280Ah LiFePo4 Battery $ 76.67

Xuba have higher price then Haomi, but makes nice video of your product before transport.

Price difference Xuba-Haomi for 16*280 to USA is about $ 200,-

If you are new to Ablibaba, please read this:How to order Chinese Batteries
(thanks to ghostwriter66)

50 USD for 90Ah isn't cheap.
(Unless it includes free transport)

50 USD for 90Ah isn't cheap.
(Unless it includes free transport)

Thanks. Yes, free (slow) shipping. When I add the shipping costs (I am only interested in 4 cells at the moment) the 4 120 Ah cells (~33% more Ah) becomes $644 vs. $200 for Aliexpress. As pointed also by @Gazoo. Maybe there are cheaper ways to ship to be negotiated with seller?

I ordered 16 of those Varicore 90ah cells from AliExpress for like $775 from that same seller, Globalpower LT No 2.
Shipping is pretty slow so far, hasn't even been dispatched. Placed the order about 10 days ago. Comes out to 168 USD per kWh. Will keep you all updated.
Saw a (long) youtube video of some guy making bus bars and capacity testing these same cells. They're probably more like 80ah or 85ah.

I saw tests of the Litokala 90Ah cells
www.aliexpress.com/item/4000585652909.html,
they look and cost about the same as the Varicore.
Here is one: He is pulling 73-74 A (i.e., 0.8C) for about 1 hour with a total of 1 kWh for 4 cells (nominal 4*3.2 = 12.8 V). Another youtube video I found of the same cells also appears to do about 1 kWh. In other words, both seem to indicate about 78-80 Ah on these cells at 0.8C.

That's bad.
You pay 90Ah and get 80Ah...

@Jeremiah received his 120A cells and got 127Ah during capacity test.
The 105Ah did exactly 105Ah

Maybe lower price, you do get scammed!!

That's a hard one to get money back from AliExpress.
Your credit card company can be better help.

If you buy a kilo sugar, and get 850 grams.... That's a scam
If you buy 90Ah and get 80Ah..
The same.

It also makes me wonder...
Are these cells new?
Or used cells (105-120Ah) at lower rest capacity?

Either way, scam.

I've had no trouble getting refunds from AliExpress in the past.

Even if they are only 80ah they're still cheaper per kWh than all of the other links you listed above. or anything else on AliExpress.

The seller said that they are new cells. If they aren't, I can return them. Shipping is free both ways.

"Scam" would be something devious, where they're trying to trick you. Slightly over-rating cell capacity for a cheap cell is basically expected, so that doesn't really constitute a scam. I've been actually scammed before and this is not that.

If there's a problem with these cells, I'll let you know.

Glad you're so passionate about buying Kilos of sugar and not getting scammed:cool:

Last edited:
Lol

You really are a newbie...

Slightly overrated is OK to lie about the real capacity??
As long as you sell cheap?
I hope you open a store soon...
You'll find that your customers and government think differently.

That's illigal business. Scam, foul play, dubious, not correct.

If something doesn't work, refunds are easy at AliExpress.
If someting works for 80% you won't get a 20% or even full refund.
Many times it's useless for the purpose you need it for.

Send back for free??
Joker. Really a newbie.
How often did you send back postage paid to China and got your refund??

With over 2500 different orders on AliExpress for the last 5 years, I've seen most of the tricks.

For USA: "Never trust a car salesman"

The rest of the world: never thrust online offer.
If it's too good to be true, it probably is.

Your acceptance that you are getting scammed does not make it OK (or normal!.)

Please look at your USA postage regulations of private persons sending lithium battery.

You can't. Special line for professional sellers only who need to follow tons of regulations.

Chinese sellers talk sweet to make the sale.

If you really are able to send one back for free, (pics and videos for proof) I'll buy 4 new for you (=$200).
I put my reputation in this.
@Will Prowse , you can block me if I don't live up to this.

FYI, my cells (total 37.5 kWh) are on Average $108 per KWH.

That you didn't lean yet on how to make a good deal on the more complex Alibaba.....
Don't blame other for this.

Keep us posted about the cells.

You didn't receive yours yet.
Maybe they are 90Ah.

Do you have test equipment?
(Something like this:)1475421661607625713.jpg
And suitable charger?

(Fat and underscore for reason..
My lab power supply was perfectly able to give 3.5v @ 3.4A, but gave this amperage continuous, what resulted in one bloated 152Ah cell)
IMG_20200703_190613_copy_1500x2000.jpg

IMG_20200703_190600_copy_1500x2000.jpg

Charging to 3.49v goes slow, really slow.. so I went to sleep...
bad move.
Better monitor during charge, if you aren't 100% sure you have correct charger
The step after v3.49 to (and over) v3.65 is just a few minutes

Even if you set maximal voltage to 3.5 volt and keep feeding Ampere, it can / will damage the cell.

Hey guys, calm down :)
I agree that they should not sell something claiming that it is 90 Ah if it is only 80... but as a buyer and if they are cheap enough I may consider it. I am not in a position to buy a full pallet of 100 cells, I just need 4... so AliBaba may or may not work for me and I may be stuck with AliExpress instead. Sigh...

You see, the nice cells listed above are "nominally" less expensive but when I add the S&H the price skyrockets...

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-07-13 at 9.11.48 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-07-13 at 9.11.48 PM.png
    158 KB · Views: 33
  • Screen Shot 2020-07-13 at 9.13.28 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-07-13 at 9.13.28 PM.png
    134.1 KB · Views: 31

Alibaba works differently from AliExpress as most of the pricing shown are "indication"

For Thailand I pay DDP (that is all costs, transport and include taxes, payed) about $ 2.70 per KG for LiFePO4.

USA have more transport KM, and the Tax rules for China are different.

Most sellers have 4 cells as minimum order quantity.

Lower quantity is less interesting for them, that's correct.
I can ask Haomi for you for current pricing of 90, 105 and 120Ah + transport to USA

I've asked a few sellers for 90Ah (real 90Ah) for the prices.
Responses are slower at smaller quality.

First one received is:
25.2*4+86.3 = $187.10
That is included any possible tax.
DDP sea transport, 6-8 weeks.

$25.20 per cell, (90Ah = 1.950gr)
$86.30 for transport.
(Price is based on the weight of the cells roughly $10.80 per kg cell weight.

The 280's are 5.5kg and should be close to $50-$60 transport costs per cell)

(With AliExpress sales the import tax e.g. are excluded, atleast for Europe and Asia, sometimes you need to pay, sometimes you get lucky.
Values below $50,- are tax free.
How the tax game works in the states, I have no idea)

Last edited:
They are quoting me for the 90Ah cells on AliBaba:

4*USD 26.3000 = USD 105.20 + Shipping USD 91.30 = TOTAL USD 196.50, so about the same price as AliExpress.
The question is... is the provider better?
Dongguan Billion Electronic Technology Co., Ltd.Contact Name: Yau Tim

I am trying to also get a quote on the 200 Ah from the same company.

They don't respond to the ALL the questions (either here or on AliExpress) so it is difficult to see how all goes (i.e., are these new cells?)

Thanks for posting those, that price for the 150ah cells seems pretty good. It looks like another forum member has ordered from them and all cells tested full capacity (for 280ah cells).

I've been looking at these, CALB 4x200ah for $394 shipped via sea and aluminum cased 4x200ah for $424 shipped via sea. The pages say 2 packs minimum but if you contact them they'll make up an order for one. The company is Dongguan Lightning New Energy Technology Co., Ltd.

It looks like at least a couple forum members have ordered from them and the capacities for the aluminum cells are true (or may be a little over, indicating new cells). The page for the CALB cells states outright that the 200ah cells have a capacity of 190-195ah, but are matched. They both say they have a 1 year warranty. The CALB cells state that they can discharge at 2C and the aluminum ones at 3C.

The aluminum cells say they are rated to 3500 cycles and the CALB to 2000 cycles... I would think this, along with the actual capacities measured would indicate the aluminum cells are higher grade and the CALB are at least lower grade or maybe used? I haven't asked the seller if they're new or not.

Keep us posted about the cells.

You didn't receive yours yet.
Maybe they are 90Ah.

Do you have test equipment?
(Something like this:)View attachment 17452
And suitable charger?

(Fat and underscore for reason..
My lab power supply was perfectly able to give 3.5v @ 3.4A, but gave this amperage continuous, what resulted in one bloated 152Ah cell)
View attachment 17453

View attachment 17454

Charging to 3.49v goes slow, really slow.. so I went to sleep...
bad move.
Better monitor during charge, if you aren't 100% sure you have correct charger
The step after v3.49 to (and over) v3.65 is just a few minutes

Even if you set maximal voltage to 3.5 volt and keep feeding Ampere, it can / will damage the cell.

Wow, thanks for posting this. I've used CCCV buck converters for charging before and they seemed to reduce the amperage as the cells filled up, I wasn't aware that a CCCV psu set to a lower voltage would continue to overcharge the cells. Is this a property of certain power supplies vs others? I don't know that much about their design.

That I do not believe. Sorry, I am not an expert on LiFePO4 batteries, but I am an expert in electronics and physics, and if a GOOD regulated PSU is set to 3.5 V then it cannot put any current once the cells are at 3.5 V. What can happen is that sometimes the PSU isn't so great and maybe it says 3.5 but is actually 3.6+ (you should always also test with a multimeter).

Back