diy solar

diy solar

Vertical mounted bi-facial panel question

Either you bury it in a conduit or your run the wire back alongside the fence panels middles. Yep cutting a 600V DC wire under load would create a nice arc and is very dangerous and potential fatal.

So in general, I like the 600V concept (although I'll have to dig for a Victron MPPT controller that can handle that...). Hmmm, spot checked a Midnight controller and they are 250V max as well - at least the ~$700 one I looked at was.

With 240V wire you could go with direct burial and save conduit cost. Guessing code would require that to be several feet deep with the plastic warning strips buried as well... so trenching cost.

Anyhow, lots to think about and variables to play with. And of course, everyone's needs are going to vary.
But that is the same if you got a regular ground or roof mount system.

I admit I know little about roof mount systems other than a gut check that says "Don't do it unless there is no other choice". I hate working on roofs, and maintenance has got to be a pain. That said I designed our farm house with south facing 45 degree pitch roof area (optimized for winter collection up here at ~40 degrees latitude). But I'd be just fine not using it for that.

So in general, I like the 600V concept (although I'll have to dig for a Victron MPPT controller that can handle that...). Hmmm, spot checked a Midnight controller and they are 250V max as well - at least the ~$700 one I looked at was.

With 240V wire you could go with direct burial and save conduit cost. Guessing code would require that to be several feet deep with the plastic warning strips buried as well... so trenching cost.

Anyhow, lots to think about and variables to play with. And of course, everyone's needs are going to vary.

I admit I know little about roof mount systems other than a gut check that says "Don't do it unless there is no other choice". I hate working on roofs, and maintenance has got to be a pain. That said I designed our farm house with south facing 45 degree pitch roof area (optimized for winter collection up here at ~40 degrees latitude). But I'd be just fine not using it for that.
450V in Victron land requires an rs450/100 or 200 (two strings, 100A, or four strings, 200A). About double the pricing of a 250/100 for the 450/100. They do have isolation between pv and battery though.

Back