diy solar

diy solar

Bi Facial panels - back reflectors

I painted my solar trailer white, specifically to make best use of the bifacial panels.

Not sure how much this will help, but my usual paint scheme is flat black, so gloss white has to be better than that.

Oops. I didn’t see the vertical panels already posted.

You don’t have to worry. The backside simply isn’t producing its potential.

Last edited:
So I don't really have to worry about my ground level panels unless I decide to raise them up higher.

Your panels work fine the way they are. If you want to improve production, then you have to "worry".

Even if the sun is directly overhead, and you have the panels flat, there is a benefit to raising up the panels. Some light will reflect (it is not perfectly dark under the panels). Whether it is worth the cost of lifting, is a different issue.

Hi All,
I have my 6 x 400 watt Bi-Facial panels up and running
They are attached to my Sol-Ark 15k and 6 x LifePower 4 batteries (5120wh x 6)

All is working great

The solar panels are ground mounted on tilting brackets
They are currently set at about 15 degrees for my Lat-Lon and June settings
The expanding legs are not installed yet.

My question is about reflecting light back up onto the rears of the solar panels
Since they are bi Facial, would something white and reflective behind them be beneficial?

If so, does anyone have a product they would recommend?

White plastic like you see used in crawl spaces is what I was thinking?
Just some strips approx 36 inches x 6 feet under each panel?
Or something else very reflective?

I attached an image of my setup
Thanks
yes on keeping bifacials higher off ground as you go farther north and more snow i would go vertical and step them back like a set of stairs. a solid wall back ten feet. with a reflective trailer roof paint should work fine. no snow build up on panels. and the longer days farther north will shine on backs earlier and later in day in summer .in south i would keep them straight at sun in march a little more vertical.. would be better out put on cloudy days[you will get a 10% more reflection from front of panels when the sun is higher] hope this helps

My 1600w of bifacial panels were pulling 50w from light reflected off of snow onto the backs of the panels this past week. The fronts were completely snowed and iced over. Very happy I went with bifacials.

My 1600w of bifacial panels were pulling 50w from light reflected off of snow onto the backs of the panels this past week. The fronts were completely snowed and iced over. Very happy I went with bifacials.
I hit the maximum 5500W on my Victron 250/100 yesterday, DC was pegged at 100A to batteries and inverters for like 15 minutes.

Have not seen that since summertime.
Snow covering the ground, ground mount bifacials 5 ft above ground, 45 degree tilt for wintertime

I hit the maximum 5500W on my Victron 250/100 yesterday, DC was pegged at 100A to batteries and inverters for like 15 minutes.

Have not seen that since summertime.
Snow covering the ground, ground mount bifacials 5 ft above ground, 45 degree tilt for wintertime

My setup is far less optimized than that. I was happy to see any usable output at all.

We have white travertine tiles all around the pool and I did a brief test last summer using a bi-facial panel. The 200 watt panel was able to generate 220 watts in a less than optimal position (as you can see by photo).

IMG_1889.jpeg

Limestone driveway gravel if your in a part of the world that uses that. Just check any country gravel road. Stuff cost about $25/ton, delivered, out here (10 ton minimum to avoid a fuel charge). For what its worth, for most gravel, a ton will cover a 100 sq ft about 4 inches thick.

Back