diy solar

diy solar

Victon Energy Batteries

e185640

Does anyone have experience with Victron Energy LiFePO4 batteries? I am interested in their 12V/200Ah sub group 31 batteries. The battery has solid energy density in a small form factor on paper. Is it too good?

Does anyone have experience with Victron Energy LiFePO4 batteries? I am interested in their 12V/200Ah sub group 31 batteries. The battery has solid energy density in a small form factor on paper. Is it too good?
I do not have experience with the Victron Batteries, but I use their chargers and inverters a lot.

However, Victron is a *very* reputable company that produces rock solid products. If you are miles from shore on a boat, equipment failure can be life threatening so boaters gladly pay the premium Victron charges for the reliability of their gear. I am confident the Victron Batteries will do everything they are advertised to do....but they will probably be quite expensive.

Many thanks for your reply.

I am actually doing a LiFePO4+solar and electrical upgrade on our Amel Super Maramu. As you stated reliability is our primary driver, as the boat will be our home circumnavigating the globe.

Our current system uses 8 Group 31 or 29 wet cell lead acid batteries (100Ah), of two 4-count strings running in parallel for a 24V system. I am thinking of using 6 Victron 12V/200Ah (two 3-count strings) to replace the 8 wet cells. I would then be getting a much higher Wh capacity, with the reduced weight (~300 lbs).

The Victron batteries "talk" to all the other Victron products we have on-board. However, the cost is absurd at $2100/battery. My HOPE is the build quality and workmanship are top notch. My current Victron products have been solid. I recognize LiFePO4 cells are LiFePO4 cells....and build quality are key from Will's teardowns....but damn that is a 3X premium on cost for theoretical quality.

If I am going to drop that much coin, I am hoping to hear other's experience with the batteries:)

One person’s experience is detailed here :

When I was looking at batteries last year, the Victron LiFePO4 battery was too expensive and too large. It simply wouldn't have fit where I needed it to. A DIY 4s battery fit just fine.

The Victron battery probably plays well within the Victron landscape.

Many thanks JoeHam and HRTKD! Appreciate the kind thoughts and sharing.

I have been torn on building my own battery due to its intended use in very remote locations. My thought process is:

1. If I have a failed cell/battery, I can pull that unit+2nd leaving be 400Ah of capacity. Not ideal, but still manageable until I can get to a port where a replacement can be ordered. Victron is world wide and shipment could be achieved in a few weeks bringing me back to full 600Ah capacity. Simple easy fix, exchange that myself , or my wife can perform to keep us afloat.

2. If I build a custom battery I am concerned a failure will result in longer repair time (troubleshooting+sourcing) and be outside of the skillset of my wife. She is brilliant woman, but this is not her bailiwick. Learning is a 40 knot blow with the boat rocking would not be ideal.

Maybe I am overthinking things...just trying to put ease of maintenance and safety at the top of the list. I can't just pull over in the middle of the ocean.

If you can afford it and have the space, the Victron LiFePO4 battery would be an excellent fit if you're getting Victron for the rest of the components. If you're looking for safe and reliable, it's hard to exclude Victron.

If space and weight allow, you could DIY or use 3rd party batteries known to communicate well with Victron's CANbus in an N+2 configuration. In other words, buy two more batteries than you need. If you lose one for some reason, you still have a working spare so you maintain redundancy. You'll still save money and have redundancy. Of course, space and weight are large considerations in this line of thinking.

P.S. I do mean redundant batteries, not cells.

Back