diy solar

diy solar

Victron 100/20 solar W goes up when load battery?

saxon11

Confused with my off grid 400w setup, as shows around 9w coming in and when I turn on my load from AGM battery solar jumps to around 90w (cloudy out right now) Shouldn’t that solar w be based on sun solar coming in not the draw from battery?

CA100801-07C0-47CD-9B37-F5DF866924EC.png

Solar panels only make what they can produce, available. You have to use it (charge batteries or power loads) to draw power from them.

But when I disconnect a load from the battery, the panels should still produce energy and charge the battery, correct? My battery is not near charged and when I take away the battery load the watts generated from solar significantly drops. Is that correct? Perhaps I have a victron setting incorrect?

If the battery isn't full, it should be charging. As long as solar power is available.
Definitely check the charging settings.

I would expect it should be pulling in close to 400w right now. Wired in parallel, full sun, 2x200w panels. Something isn’t right. Settings?

53D91721-1BE9-41E8-AB4C-2C0771C0110E.png

Attachments

• 1194AD31-F647-414C-838F-AE9552729281.png
    1194AD31-F647-414C-838F-AE9552729281.png
    311.3 KB · Views: 4
Solar panels don't push power to the SCC. The SCC only draws the power it needs, up to the the max that the panels are capable of producing at the moment. The VictronConnect app is showing you how much the controller is using from the panels. When the battery is full and there are no loads then the SCC doesn't need anything from the panels so you see 0W (or some small wattage). It doesn't matter that the panels could be capable of providing much more at the moment. Your system doesn't need the power so it's not pulled from the panels and the panels just sit there. When you turn on a load the SCC pulls the needed power from the panels, if it can, and you see that increase in wattage. If you added a bigger load then the SCC would pull even more power from the panels. At some point your power needs might be more than the panels can provide at the moment. At that point your battery has to make up the difference.

What you are seeing is perfectly normal and expected.

Last edited:
My Victron controller pulls full wattage from panels until my batteries are fully charged. On the battery preset tab, see if there is a preset for AGM batteries and try that instead of using user defined.
Edit: Try draining battery down and check to see how it works. Charger is showing it is in Float mode in first pic, just keeping battery topped off, When battery is low the state will show bulk like this picture and pull full watts from panels. I see you went with the 2 x200 and the victron, good choice.

Attachments

• IMG_2897.PNG
    IMG_2897.PNG
    340.1 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
I looked at the presets and looked on line and saw this on Victron forum:
https://community.victronenergy.com...et-profile-should-i-use-for-a-12v-22ah-a.html
I have Lithium and use that preset, I don't have any experience with AGM batteries
Someone here may can tell you which preset is best, I would of guessed the AGM spiral but according to the "EXPERT" on the Victron forum it's the one I have circled below.

Attachments

• IMG_2967.jpg
    IMG_2967.jpg
    124.9 KB · Views: 3
Back