diy solar

diy solar

Victron 48V MultiPlus-II 5kVA 120V Inverter – 70A Charger setup?

oceanrider

I want to put a Victron 48V MultiPlus-II 5kVA 120V Inverter – 70A Charger with 2 SOK 48V 100Ah PRO Server Rack Batteries.

I would be putting this my work van where I will run various power tools, where I am running 4 tools at the same time, where a total wattage of all 4 tools running at the same time would be about 1800 watts for those 4 tools, but I also want to run lighting and some fans for cooling probably in addition to those 4 tools.

What components would I need to build a Victron 48V MultiPlus-II 5kVA 120V Inverter – 70A Charger with 2 SOK 48V 100Ah PRO Server Rack Batteries as a work van power supply?

Initially I will not have solar on my vans roof. My initial plan will be to charge the batteries at the end of each days work at my house. Eventually I would like to add some solar panels on the roof of my Sprinter, but considering the initial cost of just the Victron 48V MultiPlus-II 5kVA 120V Inverter – 70A Charger with 2 SOK 48V 100Ah PRO Server Rack Batteries, I will just start with that and charge the batteries every day for the next days work via a 120vac shore power at my house.

But I'm not sure of the other components I will need to build such a system and would appreciate any insight. Thanks!

How should I wire a Victron 48V MultiPlus-II 5kVA 120V Inverter – 70A Charger with 2 SOK 48V 100Ah PRO Server Rack Batteries. What other basic components do I need

Wire to connect everything together… Read the manual to find the correct size - it’s on Victron’s website.

You will probably want a way to control the inverter:
GX device (Cerbo, etc) will probably be too expensive.

Digital Multi Control - would work

VE.Bus Smart Dongle is the cheapest - would control over your phone’s Bluetooth. I have used this and would be what I would get (again).

Although once programmed - you may just be able to use the on/off switch. I only use that switch for maintenance.

Programming- some Victron vendors will program the Multiplus for you - especially if you tell them what you want done. (It will need programmed).

If you need to program you will need either the Cerbo (GX device) connected to internet.

Or the MK3-USB connected to a PC computer.

it may be beneficial to add a Smartshunt- depends on how easy it is to look up the battery state of charge from the battery app.

I would put a 120v circuit breaker box, and other fuses (Class T) on main positive or a MBRF fuse on each battery. Plus a 48v on/off switch.

Good Luck

Did I answer your question or did I make something unclear?

Wiring a Van with inverters and batteries is quite a bit of work. I think you should watch some of the explorist videos on YouTube to get a feel of the wiring and components involved.

If after watching a few of these you feel like it’s a bit over complicated for your needs, maybe look at a EcoFlow device or consider a simple portable generator.

Last edited:
Really?

Last edited:
Wiring a Van with inverters and batteries is quite a bit of work. I think you should watch some of the explorist videos on YouTube to get a feel of the wiring and components involved.

If after watching a few of these you feel like it’s a bit over complicated for your needs, maybe look at a EcoFlow device or consider a simple portable generator.
Thanks I will!

Wire to connect everything together… Read the manual to find the correct size - it’s on Victron’s website.

You will probably want a way to control the inverter:
GX device (Cerbo, etc) will probably be too expensive.

Digital Multi Control - would work

VE.Bus Smart Dongle is the cheapest - would control over your phone’s Bluetooth. I have used this and would be what I would get (again).

Although once programmed - you may just be able to use the on/off switch. I only use that switch for maintenance.

Programming- some Victron vendors will program the Multiplus for you - especially if you tell them what you want done. (It will need programmed).

If you need to program you will need either the Cerbo (GX device) connected to internet.

Or the MK3-USB connected to a PC computer.

it may be beneficial to add a Smartshunt- depends on how easy it is to look up the battery state of charge from the battery app.

I would put a 120v circuit breaker box, and other fuses (Class T) on main positive or a MBRF fuse on each battery. Plus a 48v on/off switch.

Good Luck

Did I answer your question or did I make something unclear?
Really appreciate your input on this!

Sounds like all I really need parts wise for a very basic inverter system is...

1x- Victron 48V MultiPlus-II 5kVA 120V Inverter – 70A Charger
2x - SOK 48V 100Ah PRO Server Rack Batteries, or EG4 LifePower4 Lithium Battery – 48V 100AH, or Ruixu RX-LFP48100 19″ Rack Mounted 3U Battery
2x - Blue Sea Systems 5191 MRBF Terminal Fuse Block 30-300A (connected directly to battery terminals)
2x - Blue Sea Systems MRBF Terminal Fuse 30A – 250A
1x - Victron VE.Bus Smart Dongle

Maybe an on/off switch for each battery?

Then of course a 120vac panel with circuit breakers and outlets needed. And shore power in.

Have Current Connected do the programing for my very basic system.

And this as a guide... https://www.victronenergy.com/uploa...imited_book/43562-Wiring_Unlimited-pdf-en.pdf

Of those three batteries would it really benefit me to spend more on the SOK PRO?

Down the road I may put solar on my vans roof. I might like to put in a Cerbo and better monitoring system. But the above would probably be all I really need.

Last edited:
@oceanrider what is your estimated price for this build?
Just what is listed is $5k+, if I decide I should get the SOK PRO batteries.
So, I would assume $5.5k or so.
I have tools for the small stuff. Just need a lug crimper.

Attachments

• 20240617_163430.jpg
    20240617_163430.jpg
    151.4 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
One install tip - when ordering the cables - order the correct length and have the ends already crimped (unless you already have access to a crimper). The couple of bucks to have it already done is very nice.

As to the SOK Pro batteries - I can’t advise on that - I just don’t know the differences…

You will want - when on the job site- a way to know the state of charge of the batteries- this would probably be Bluetooth on your phone. If the batteries don’t have this - just add the Victron Smartshunt.

You will want - when at home - a way to see the cell voltages - I believe SOK Batteries have a way to connect to a computer to see this - but I don’t know which may or may not have that feature available.

Good Luck!

Also, if buying from Current Connected - explain your project and ask if they see anything that was missed.

One install tip - when ordering the cables - order the correct length and have the ends already crimped (unless you already have access to a crimper). The couple of bucks to have it already done is very nice.

As to the SOK Pro batteries - I can’t advise on that - I just don’t know the differences…

You will want - when on the job site- a way to know the state of charge of the batteries- this would probably be Bluetooth on your phone. If the batteries don’t have this - just add the Victron Smartshunt.

You will want - when at home - a way to see the cell voltages - I believe SOK Batteries have a way to connect to a computer to see this - but I don’t know which may or may not have that feature available.

Good Luck!
Good idea. It is possible I may be able borrow a good lug crimper.

I'm not sure just yet where it all will fit in my van, it's roughly 300lbs. So I may want the 2 batteries and inverter separate to distribute weight. So, only once I get things mounted would I be able to guess on battery cable lenght.

I'm not sure just yet where it all will fit in my van, it's roughly 300lbs. So I may want the 2 batteries and inverter separate to distribute weight. So, only once I get things mounted would I be able to guess on battery cable lenght.

The closer the components, the shorter the cable. If you put them too far apart you'll have to upsize the cable.

diy solar

diy solar
Back