diy solar

diy solar

Victron charge controller for 6 435w panels?

Jack Rabbit Off Grid

Solar Enthusiast
I’m trying to help my neighbor. He bought 6 Canadian solar 435w panels for a good price. We would like to know what victron charge controller would work for a lead acid 24v 740ah battery bank. We’re not sure to run them 2s3p or 3s2p. 100v in or 250v in?
specs in picture below.

thanks all.

Attachments

• 181ACDB3-3616-4F84-80A8-D03A7F4EBADB.jpeg
    181ACDB3-3616-4F84-80A8-D03A7F4EBADB.jpeg
    436.9 KB · Views: 5
I would like to make sure I got this, 2s would be the right way, as if you did 3s and colder temps, you would be too close for comfort for 150V SCC?

Yes. I have panels similar to your and had 3S3P on a 150/100 @ 48V before I had a clue. Due to other issues and laziness, I left them 3S and spent even more money on a 250/100.

Yes. I have panels similar to your and had 3S3P on a 150/100 @ 48V before I had a clue. Due to other issues and laziness, I left them 3S and spent even more money on a 250/100.
I now see I made a typo. Meant 150v in.

thank you.

I tried to use the Victron calculator but failed miserably. I didn’t know what the temperatures meant.

he has an Outback 80 from the early 2000’s but none of us can figure out how to use the damn thing. I recommend him the Victron because I have two of them now and know how to make them work.
thanks again.

Just us the Outback mine 3 been working perfectly since 2007. Tell me the date on the side of the controller and i will post the manual.
The very early Outback MXs were only rated at 120v but all of the FMs were 150v.

Just us the Outback mine 3 been working perfectly since 2007. Tell me the date on the side of the controller and i will post the manual.
The very early Outback MXs were only rated at 120v but all of the FMs were 150v.
It’s a MX60 that was installed in 2007. It currently has 738w of panels hooked to it. I have the manual for it. The manual states it can handle up to 150v but will suspend operations to protect its self at 141v.

I have been told by the locals (I’m new to this area) that it has got down to -20 but not in probably 15 yeas. Last year my lowest was 9f and the year before was -5f

So basically we could just remove the old panels. Replace them with new 2s3p and it should work?

I tried to use the Victron calculator but failed miserably. I didn’t know what the temperatures meant.
Are you referring to the temperature coefficient Voc? You can find that on the spec sheet for the panels. It won't be on the label on the back of the panel. It should be a value somewhere near -0.3%/ºC. The other temperature coefficient should be on the spec sheet too but it's not really needed for work out which controller you need.

The whole point of the temperature coefficient Voc is that the Voc of a panel goes up as the temperature goes down. So when you enter the minimum temperature you will ever encounter where the panels will be, the increased Voc needs to be accounted for in determining which controller will work.

Last edited:
Are you referring to the temperature coefficient Voc? You can find that on the spec sheet for the panels. It won't be on the label on the back of the panel. It should be a value somewhere near -0.3%/ºC. The other temperature coefficient should be on the spec sheet too but it's not really needed for work out which controller you need.

The whole point of the the temperature coefficient Voc is that the Voc of a panel goes up as the temperature goes down. So when you enter the minimum temperature you will ever encounter where the panels will be, the increased Voc needs to be accounted for in determining which controller will work.
ok that explains everything. I was looking for those values on the panel sticker.

diy solar

diy solar
Back