diy solar

diy solar

Victron charge controller

Simonbr

I currently use a MidNite classic 150 for my new 24v 300aH battery but rather keep it for my old fla batteries so I am looking at the victron 150/70 to replace it. There are a few options available (smart solar, blue solar, Bluetooth, tr, ve.can, etc).

I want to go the Bluetooth route so I’m looking at the smartsolar version with tr, but there seems to be two versions, one with ve.can can and one without. Is it important to get ve.can if the Bluetooth is already included?

With ve you can connect to a Venus device and monitor or change settings remotely via victron vrm

Last edited:
VE can allows you to daisy chain multiple Charge controllers with a standard Ethernet cable rather than running a VE direct cable back from each CC to a GX device like a Cerbo. If you don’t plan on having more than 2 Victron charge controllers it’s probably not needed.

I currently use a MidNite classic 150 for my new 24v 300aH battery but rather keep it for my old fla batteries so I am looking at the victron 150/70 to replace it. There are a few options available (smart solar, blue solar, Bluetooth, tr, ve.can, etc).

I want to go the Bluetooth route so I’m looking at the smartsolar version with tr, but there seems to be two versions, one with ve.can can and one without. Is it important to get ve.can if the Bluetooth is already included?
Are you sure you want to remove a 94A controller and replace it with a 70A?

Victron has a really nice 150/100 if you want to keep the higher charge rate.

Are you sure you want to remove a 94A controller and replace it with a 70A?

Victron has a really nice 150/100 if you want to keep the higher charge rate.
Currently my string is 6 panels at 340w, so after the conversion and 80% efficiency that’s only 60A that I can pull. I rather add a second mppt with a new string and chain them. The location will have different sun times as my first spot doesn’t have room for more panels, so i figured instead of the extra panels at different watts and sun times negatively effecting the first scc just add a second.

Am I thinking this the wrong way?

VE can allows you to daisy chain multiple Charge controllers with a standard Ethernet cable rather than running a VE direct cable back from each CC to a GX device like a Cerbo. If you don’t plan on having more than 2 Victron charge controllers it’s probably not needed.
I wouldn’t use more then two that I can think of, this is only my camp and I don’t need very large battery capacity. Is there still a way to connect the device to the Internet so I can see the logs online?

With ve you can connect to a Venus device and monitor or change settings remotely via victron vrm
What device would be required to allow it to be access by the Internet? I see there are a few items you can add once creating an account on vrm. Also is this a free service?

What device would be required to allow it to be access by the Internet? I see there are a few items you can add once creating an account on vrm. Also is this a free service?
Vrm is free, and awesome.

You'll need a Venus device. Cheapest way is used raspberry pi

Vrm is free, and awesome.

You'll need a Venus device. Cheapest way is used raspberry pi
I like this since I have 2 raspberry not being used. Would this also allow me to use the victron lte device when my Starlink is shut down?

I like this since I have 2 raspberry not being used. Would this also allow me to use the victron lte device when my Starlink is shut down?

Yes.

If you use a global link 520 that will allow you to connect two ve.direct devices to VRM via cellular (and potentially connect more devices for instant readout via BT)

To state it explicitly, the Global Link 520 is a limited GX device that provides VRM access with its own internet connection and eliminates the need for Venus OS on a Pi.

Currently my string is 6 panels at 340w, so after the conversion and 80% efficiency that’s only 60A that I can pull. I rather add a second mppt with a new string and chain them. The location will have different sun times as my first spot doesn’t have room for more panels, so i figured instead of the extra panels at different watts and sun times negatively effecting the first scc just add a second.

Am I thinking this the wrong way?
If you haven't seen any charge rates over 70A you probably aren't leaving anything on the table by downsizing CC.

Im not sure Id calculate based on 80% though. I have seen my Midnite Classic 150 with a 6 panel array of 2190W as high as 87A amps to a 24V lead acid bank, perfect storm conditions of course...

I do think you'll see slightly better low light productivity with the Victron, they seem to "Wake Up" faster, you'll be happy.

I have Victron smart MPPT's connected to a RPi Cerbo GX, which I can monitor remorely via VRM. However, I cannot change any settings through VRM.

I do not have a Victron inverter/charger.

My understanding is that you need a Victron inverter/charger to change settings via VRM.

I would love to be wrong, but so far, I have seen no way to change settings via VRM absent a Victron inverter/charger.

I have Victron smart MPPT's connected to a RPi Cerbo GX, which I can monitor remorely via VRM. However, I cannot change any settings through VRM.

I do not have a Victron inverter/charger.

My understanding is that you need a Victron inverter/charger to change settings via VRM.

I would love to be wrong, but so far, I have seen no way to change settings via VRM absent a Victron inverter/charger.
Good news is you are wrong. I don't have a victron inverter, only a charge controller and shunt but I can change settings remotely.

So you don't actually use vrm website for changing settings- you go to vrm via the victron connect app.

At the device list you have local and vrm:

Choose vrm and you'll actually see your vrm connected devices in victron connect then you can change settings to your heart's content.

^Like this...

This is VC from my PC 3.5 hours away from bluetooth range:

1716255118906.png

Via VRM on VC, I can select either device and make settings changes. The one deficiency is that log data from MPPT is not available with this interface as it's stored in the BT module; however, it will maintain a live log if I'm on the Trends tab.

EDIT: Also worth noting... that's a BMV-702, which doesn't even have BT, so VRM allows my only VC access to the BMV.

Last edited:
Redundant off site monitoring needs?

What sort of camp is this . . .
Just my small camp, RV with small shed and DC fridge. Its overkill but I like this stuff and like to be able to monitor. Nice knowing if I have to run up to camp to start the generator or shut things down remotely to conserve energy.

If you use a global link 520 that will allow you to connect two ve.direct devices to VRM via cellular (and potentially connect more devices for instant readout via BT)

Thank you for this info, this is very interesting and after lookin at the device this is really cool. Do you know if you can connect more then 2 items, I want to eventually have 2 MPPT and 1 victron inverter/charger. I already have a rasperry with a LTE hat that I will try first, but in the event it doesnt work well I will go this route.

I think it it’s connected to the Pi or Cerbo, the LTE dongle will share all info to VRM to be viewed anywhere.

Thank you for this info, this is very interesting and after lookin at the device this is really cool. Do you know if you can connect more then 2 items, I want to eventually have 2 MPPT and 1 victron inverter/charger. I already have a rasperry with a LTE hat that I will try first, but in the event it doesnt work well I will go this route.
You could connect the 2 mppts via the vedirect ports and then get a ve.bus smart dongle for the inverter//charger. But you'd only get instant read out type info and wouldn't be fully represented in VRM. Consider it a last choice.

ok well I guess this is going a little further down the Victron rabbit hole then I thought but that’s good, I was planning on changing my SCC first then adding later, keeping my old setup for maybe other items, and since I want to make sure not to purchase the wrong or extra items for nothing.... what should I piece together?

My thoughts so far;

1. Victron 150/85 to 150/100 Smartsolar tr ve.can
2. Raspberry PI (with LTE HAT and IoT Sim card) with Venus OS. I already have it from last year, never configured yet.
2b. If the Raspberry PI doesn’t work the way I like, I can look at other options like the GlobalLink 520 or other combination setup.
3. Might hold off until I have the MPPT configured and working with the VRM. MULTIPLUS-II 24/3000/70-50 2X120V | PMP242305130

Would there be anything else needed to be added? Shunt maybe?

Good news is you are wrong. I don't have a victron inverter, only a charge controller and shunt but I can change settings remotely.
Via VRM on VC, I can select either device and make settings changes.

I have spent hours in VRM, accessed through the VE Connect App, clicking on every possible menu and screen I could find, and never found a way to change settings. All I can do is view data reported by my Victron devices to VRM, including graphs generated by all the widgets.

I am mobile right now, boon docking in my trailer, and soon will be without internet access for a while.
When I am back to the internet, I will seek more help from you guys.

Not sure if I should report back to this thread or start another one. I do not want to hijack this thread.

I would love to be able to change settings via VRM.

Thanks for the replies!

I have spent hours in VRM, accessed through the VE Connect App, clicking on every possible menu and screen I could find, and never found a way to change settings. All I can do is view data reported by my Victron devices to VRM, including graphs generated by all the widgets.

I am mobile right now, boon docking in my trailer, and soon will be without internet access for a while.
When I am back to the internet, I will seek more help from you guys.

Not sure if I should report back to this thread or start another one. I do not want to hijack this thread.

I would love to be able to change settings via VRM.

Thanks for the replies!
Do you have a Venus device connected? Like cerbo gx, or raspberry pi running Venus os?

diy solar

diy solar
Back