diy solar

diy solar

Victron charge issue

gray webber

I have a Victron Multiplus 24-3000. I started my generator and plugged it in today as solar is skinny now. The Victron said it recognized the AC input but said “ignored”. How can I get this unit to use the AC in?
Thanks

Inverters are very fussy about the quality of the power they are willing to accept. The inverter will look at the voltage and Hz stability, and decide if the inverter is "qualified" to supply power to it.

There are a couple of things you can do to improve this. First, run the generator for a few minutes before connection to make sure it is fully warmed up.

Apply a small load first to the generator to keep it from roaming. Try a 100W light bulb.

Finally, go into the inverter's main menu, and cut the charging amps down to maybe only 1/10 of what you think it should be. If the inverter accepts the low power setting, then incrementally ratchet up the charging amps to see how far it will go. As you ratchet up further and further, you'll reach a point when the generator is having a hard time meeting the load, and the inverter might drop it again. You can tell that immediately be the change in the sound of the generator.

Play with the charge settings till you find a sweet-spot for your particular generator.

I have a Victron Multiplus 24-3000. I started my generator and plugged it in today as solar is skinny now. The Victron said it recognized the AC input but said “ignored”. How can I get this unit to use the AC in?
Thanks

Victrons are generally very tolerant unless the generator is very dirty. My shitty Predator with 58-62Hz output gives my Quattro no issues.

Recommend you review:

"Dynamic current limiter" results in a gradually increasing rate of charge to allow the generator to adjust. It typically delays charging for about a minutes.

If this is a used unit, and it was in use somewhere else, it may be configured with assistants or virtual switch that may override the default behavior.

More info on this. The generator is a Honda 2000 inverter. I have the Victron set at 25 amps or about half its ability. Ran it for 10 min and no change. I will load the generator in case it will clean up the wave form some and the Victron will accept it? This is at a remote camp so I have limits on accessing the program at this time. I’ll try to download onto a laptop and link in to see if there is a fix?

Enable dynamic current limiting and try if it makes sense to lower to 250W just to start with.

Second test: run the generator with a 250-500W load for 1-2min before plugging in the Victron (while keeping the base load running) - a halogen floodlight or small heater will do

More info on this. The generator is a Honda 2000 inverter. I have the Victron set at 25 amps or about half its ability. Ran it for 10 min and no change. I will load the generator in case it will clean up the wave form some and the Victron will accept it? This is at a remote camp so I have limits on accessing the program at this time. I’ll try to download onto a laptop and link in to see if there is a fix?

MP should have no issue with an inverter generator unless it's at the completely wrong frequency, i.e., 50Hz vs. 60Hz, and you can overcome that by setting the "wide input" on the grid tab per the FAQ I linked. It will of course pass this through and send the wrong frequency to your AC items.
  1. Do you have a MK3-USB adapter and can use VEConfig3 or VictronConnect?
  2. Did you acquire the unit used or new?
  3. If new, have you enabled virtual switch, assistants, or specified a grid compliance method?

MP should have no issue with an inverter generator unless it's at the completely wrong frequency, i.e., 50Hz vs. 60Hz, and you can overcome that by setting the "wide input" on the grid tab per the FAQ I linked. It will of course pass this through and send the wrong frequency to your AC items.
  1. Do you have a MK3-USB adapter and can use VEConfig3 or VictronConnect?
  2. Did you acquire the unit used or new?
  3. If new, have you enabled virtual switch, assistants, or specified a grid compliance method?
1-yes I have the adapter
2-new unit
3-I have not-I do not know what it is or where to find it

The gen is 60 hz
I will try the pre loading if the gen?

1-yes I have the adapter
2-new unit
3-I have not-I do not know what it is or where to find it

The gen is 60 hz
I will try the pre loading if the gen?

1) VEConfig or VictronConnect? I'm more fluent in VEConfig.
2) Good
3) Good.

Worth trying loading pre-load, but I'm dubious.

Victron and generators normally get along famously unless the generators are real turds (I consider mine a turd, and I've had no issues).

Drop the input on the Victron Multiplus to 7.5 amps. - that’s the lowest the 3000 can go.

20amps of input * 120v = 2400w - your generator is only a 2000 w generator - my guess is the generator is getting overloaded and it’s dropping the input to unrecognizable signal.

15amps of that generator will be its max.

Good Luck

Unless I misinterpreted it, he indicated the set the charge current to 25A max. Should only be about 600-700W

AC input current limit only inhibits charge (if not sufficiently limited in the charger settings) and the powerassist threshold. If you pull loads > AC input current limit with powerassist disabled, it will just keep pulling until generator overloads.

Back