diy solar

diy solar

Victron Inverters

The point is, Victron has a free tool that will show him what he can do with their equipment. No need to blow up stuff to figure it out.
Some times the best lessons are the ones that sting the most.

Thanks for the discussion. Only thinking at this point, and not very good at it.

The spec sheet for the 150/30 says Protection PV reverse polarity / output short circuit / over-temperature
I don't see anything about overvoltage there.

I was on the roof yesterday making some measurements of how much wire these configurations would need.

For now I have decided to set up a test system in my office with 4x12V batteries and a few new panels. I don't have the heart to break up the 10S panels and add a bunch of wires, until the Victron knocks my socks off.

From what I have heard, it takes some work to understand how to set up and use the many functions.

I maintain my first post was correct, that it is easy to get power from the Victron MPPTs (OK, 48V*30A= 1440 Watts), they are quite affordable, but the inverters are pricey as heck.

I didn't really need to buy a car this year, the old one will do.

Thanks for the discussion. Only thinking at this point, and not very good at it.

The spec sheet for the 150/30 says Protection PV reverse polarity / output short circuit / over-temperature

I was on the roof yesterday making some measurements of how much wire these configurations would need.

For now I have decided to set up a test system in my office with 4x12V batteries and a few new panels. I don't have the heart to break up the 10S panels and add a bunch of wires, until the Victron knocks my socks off.

From what I have heard, it takes some work to understand how to set up and use the many functions.

I maintain my first post was correct, that it is easy to get power from the Victron MPPTs (OK, 48V*30A= 1440 Watts), they are quite affordable, but the inverters are pricey as heck.

Which SCC specifically are you looking at? There's no such thing as a 150/30 afaik. Smallest 150V unit is the 150/35.

Cause there is no protection for over voltage, it just goes poof.

I mean if victron did state there was protection for over voltage people would apply 200-250v and claim it’s a piece of junk, lol.

Last edited:
Cause there is no protection for over voltage, it just goes poof.

I mean if victron did state there was protection for over voltage people would apply 200-250v and claim it’s a piece of junk, lol.

I think you need to look at the 250v line of victron mppts. 5S2P setup if you want a single device.

I'm not quitting until I hear you say you won't put more than 3 of those panels in series.

I just have to get something straight with Sunshine_eggo. I put together a string of S3 panels and measured them. On a rainy day I measured 120 volts DC on the string. So 4 would have been 160 volts easily. So he was right. I don't know why my Trina S Vertex 395 watt panels have never reached anything near the max rated VOC in my data logs.

I just have to get something straight with Sunshine_eggo. I put together a string of S3 panels and measured them. On a rainy day I measured 120 volts DC on the string. So 4 would have been 160 volts easily. So he was right. I don't know why my Trina S Vertex 395 watt panels have never reached anything near the max rated VOC in my data logs.

Just wanted to point out again as @HighTechLab has, that measuring voltage is not a good or safe way to calculate what size MPPT you’ll need.

At the bare minimum, read the label printed on the back of the solar panel. There’s no other reliable way. Provide that number (Voc) along with the coldest recorded temperature in your area for the last 30 years (Google it) and there are online calculators that can help you understand the REAL voltage of your panels in cool or cold conditions because cold makes the voltage of the panels increase.

As was mentioned, nearly all MPPT units on the market, including Victron, have zero protection against high voltage. Cross that rating and it’s an expensive lesson.

If you’re in a warm climate, don’t count on it to stay that way. Didn’t it freeze in the Deep South in the last year or two? Unless you’re near the equator, do include the coldest recorded temp of the last 30 years of your area.

If you’re in a warm climate, don’t count on it to stay that way. Didn’t it freeze in the Deep South in the last year or two? Unless you’re near the equator, do include the coldest recorded temp of the last 30 years of your area.
As I said I grow orange trees and they die at -5F or around there. Tropical plants die when they are away from the house by more that 15 feet. I know from experience that the house does warm adjacent / nearby plants in winter because of the tropical plants that I have. Pepper plants I planted last year are still alive. When it does get cold, it is dark out and if there is current in the panels at that time it is less than a watt.

Not that I am saying I won an argument here, I guess I enjoy arguing.

So now we’re comparing oranges to Victron gear ? Thought it was supposed to be apples 😎.

Seriously, other items like trees have thermal mass etc. that may help but as everyone has told you, there is no over voltage protection on a Victron MPPT. End of story.

And when it gets cold voltage increases from a solar panel, simple fact. Non negotiable.

It’s not the current that matters, it’s the voltage.

I accidentally over volted a Victron 100/20 and it immediately and unceremoniously died.

Feel free to do the same if you don’t believe it.

Last edited:
Clear nights with open view to the sky, panels can actually drop colder than ambient temps, is that early morning sun that spikes voltage before the SCC can draw current.

All the best luck!

Back