diy solar

diy solar

Victron: Mixing AC Chargers?

nicoloks

Hey All,

Feel like this might be a daft question, but can't seem to find the answer to it anywhere (further evidence of it being daft), so here goes.

Currently have 2 x 100Ah LiFePO4 batteries in parallel and will likely be getting a 3rd in the short to medium term for my van. I've set myself up for solar regeneration, however for those times we're in caravan parks I'd like to be in a position where I can take in as much energy as I can overnight while hooked to mains. I don't want to be spending huge $ on this component as I don't think it will be a super regular requirement.

My current AC charger (not a Victron) is only 15A and was thinking I'd get a Victron Blue Smart IP67 12/25 as well so both chargers are operating simultaneously. This should be cable of taking in the full battery bank capacity overnight.

My question is, will using a non-victron charger along with a Victron charger throw off the charging metrics/smarts of their software?

I have a Victron BMV-712 as well, so not sure if it is able to smartly communicate with the Victron charger to accurately track totals.

Appreciate the help!

**EDIT**

Think I'll put the second AC changer idea on hold. Coming into summer here so solar generation will soon be a non issue until about April next year.

Last edited:
Hey All,

Feel like this might be a daft question, but can't seem to find the answer to it anywhere (further evidence of it being daft), so here goes.

Currently have 2 x 100Ah LiFePO4 batteries in parallel and will likely be getting a 3rd in the short to medium term for my van. I've set myself up for solar regeneration, however for those times we're in caravan parks I'd like to be in a position where I can take in as much energy as I can overnight while hooked to mains. I don't want to be spending huge $ on this component as I don't think it will be a super regular requirement.

My current AC charger (not a Victron) is only 15A and was thinking I'd get a Victron Blue Smart IP67 12/25 as well so both chargers are operating simultaneously. This should be cable of taking in the full battery bank capacity overnight.

My question is, will using a non-victron charger along with a Victron charger throw off the charging metrics/smarts of their software?

I have a Victron BMV-712 as well, so not sure if it is able to smartly communicate with the Victron charger to accurately track totals.

Appreciate the help!
From what I understand, in the bulk phase of the charge, they will all contribute evenly with mix and match without any issues as long as you don't exceed your battery banks charge limits. During the absorb and float phases, whichever charger has the higher voltage settings will be the winner. I suppose you could set the settings lower on purpose on the non preferred charger for non bulk mode settings. If you did that, they would only contribute again if the battery voltage dips down, say under a load.

Somebody please correct me if I'm mistaken, I'm still trying to solidify all this in my noggin!

Has the 15 amp presented an issue? 200 Ah would be 14 hours max. OK maybe a bit more if the loads are significant. Although if in transit I would assume the battery would have some charge and 8 to 12 hours would be plenty to top it off. Especially if back on the road the next day would be back to charging again.

Otherwise multiple chargers would not be an issue.

Consider a regular RV converter to really get some charge in. 60 should be plenty. Some go to 120.
https://www.bestconverter.com/9200-Series-Deck-Mount

Thanks for the replies.

No problems with 15A as yet, was really thinking in context if I get this extra battery. 15A would only be a problem if the 300Ah capacity was close to fully exhausted *and* we only planned to stay a single night *and* we had no prospect of solar generation the following day.

Other scenario I was looking to provide some coverage for was extended periods without good solar generation. Some RV friendly towns where I am in Australia will offer power at dump points or toilet blocks. I could also get myself a small generator for use when we are away from camping areas (I truly dislike the use of ICE powered generators in camping areas). If I could hook up the van during a lunch break for a few hours, going from 15A to 40A charging would be well worth it for a couple of hundred dollars.

Pretty fringe cases, but we did hit it this winter where we had to cut an off-grid camping trip short due to days on end with really low solar generation. I keep flipping between thinking it is worth it for coverage and just planning winter trips around spending a night or two in parks to recharge.

Back