diy solar

diy solar

Wire in standalone charger with transfer switch (camper)

Chaucer

Hi,

I have a small camper with OEM WFCO 8735P (non lithium) and inverter, transfer switch (GoPower T-30).

I currently have the AC wires of the WFCO converter/charger wired into the transfer switch so it only charges the battery when on shore power.

I want to upgrade to a stand alone Victron charger (IP 22) and connect the DC side of the Victron to a busbar to charge the batteries.

If I disconnect the AC wires of the WFCO charger/converter at the transfer switch and wire in the victron charger, am I correct to believe this will also disconnect the 12V side of the WFCO so the 12V devices will no longer work? i.e the converter charger not only charges the battery , but powers the 12V devices.

Any other ideas how to do this.

Thank you

If I understand you correctly, yo want to simply take the old WFCO charger out and put the Victron Charger in.

I’m assuming you have no solar. Also, assuming the converter are plugged into a 15 or 20 amp outlet that goes to the transfer switch.

This should work. Although I don’t have a transfer switcg, that’s what I did to my AIMS AC to DC converter. I also had to upgrade the DC wire to handle the additional amperage.

Since I actually have solar that charges the batteries, I only flip the circuit breaker to te converter one time a year to test it.

If this is a bigger converter, also realize the fan could be noisier and it could put out more heat. Venting could be an issue.
=========
DO yo know the charge profile of your WFCO inverter? Some are constant voltage 13.6 up to 10 amps so that may work for your lithium setup.

Back