diy solar

diy solar

Victron Multiplus II and generators

saggys

Can the Multiplus II accept non inverter type generator input? My AIO cannot and I want to make sure the Multi can.

Can the Multiplus II accept non inverter type generator input? My AIO cannot and I want to make sure the Multi can.
Yes. Actually, Victron warns against using inverter generators. I've used both. The inverter generator works much better, more stable frequency (60hz). My crappy old generator still worked using all the proper settings in the multiplus for dirty power generators. The frequency would bounce between 47 and 67, wasn't pretty, but still charges batteries.

If you haven't tried it yet, put a load on your current generator before powering your AIO.

Having a way to check and adjust frequency is also benificial.

You need a synchronous generator governor rpm to be stable enough, so its frequency wobble is not too great for inverter to track the freq/phase wobble. Generator should sound smooth and even with no 'wha-wha' sound pitch variations. A DVM frequency readout is not fast enough to show generator frequency wobble.

I have never seen generator sinewave distortion bad enough to cause a LF inverter to disconnect. What generator distortion does is create inverter loading current variations. Theoretically if distortion is really bad, the current peaks during AC cycle can get high enough to cause inverter to release from generator.

Other mistake is having AC input charging level set too high for generator power output capability. Inverter will lock on generator, close pass-through relay, then jump heavy on generator for battery charging causing generator to bog down, causing inverter to immediately release from generator. On Victron, easiest way to avoid this is to set AC input maximum current limit suitable to generator VA rating. It will override any AC charging settings and back down charging rate to stay within AC input current limit.

Last edited:

I'm giving it a HELL YES.

My Quattros gobble my filthy Harbor Freight Predator 3850 generator power like it's CANDY!

My generator produces a fairly wobbly 60±2Hz power, and I can charge right up to the AC input current limit.

Additionally the Victron have PowerAssist, which enables you to run a lower power generator. If your loads/charging exceed the AC input current limit, the inverter will quit charging and supplement the generator power with inverted power.

If you have crazy dirty power, the Victron have additional settings that make them even more tolerant, but it limits charging to about 80% of the existing limit.

I have a stable of propane powered Onan LK 2500 1800 RPM gensets with a nice weather enclosure. My old Trace PS2512 had no problem with it, I know my AIO would not like it as it does not like my Yamaha EF1000 which is pretty stable for a non inverter type.

I have a stable of propane powered Onan LK 2500 1800 RPM gensets with a nice weather enclosure. My old Trace PS2512 had no problem with it, I know my AIO would not like it as it does not like my Yamaha EF1000 which is pretty stable for a non inverter type.

If it works with my predator, it has to work with an Onan!

Back