diy solar

diy solar

Victron Multiplus ii GX not charging batteries

MilbankAustralia

Hi all,

I've just set up my Victron Multiplus II GX 48/3000/35-32.
It is hooked up to 4x190AH AGMs in series.
AC input from a generator.
The MP2 turns on and I can access the settings. In the console it registers the AC input as 219-220V and ~54Hz. Active AC Input reads as Disconnected. The charger is Enabled in VE Configure.
It detects the battery voltage as 49.6V and reads the temp sensor.
AC input type is set to generator.

I thought it might be fluctuation from the generator so I just enabled WeakAC and Dynamic Current Limiter. AC in current is limited to 10A.
The switch is on charger only.
No other settings changed from default - battery type still set to "No corresponding default" and Battery Monitor is disabled
The problem is that the status is "Off" and I can't figure out how to make it turn on.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Thanks Sunshine.

I turned UPS off and limited the AC current further and also limited the DC charge current. And I selected the AGM/Gel battery type in VE. Configure.
It is now working but not reaching the set charge current limits so I guess the generator is way too small. But I am happy it is charging.

Cheers

"Weak AC Input" limits you to about 80% of the peak charge current as dictated by input current and/or charging current.

When AC input is active, the inverter is in passthru mode, i.e., it is passing through the AC input to power the loads and charge the battery if there is any surplus current. Note that AC input limit does not restrict you from drawing more than that for loads. This is why they recommend the generator be about 1.67X the inverter rating. Otherwise, you can easily overload the generator with loads.

Thanks. It is a 1.9kW generator but was only charging at around 600W, when the AC input limit was 6.5A (~1400W) and the charge current limit to be around 1100W. No other loads on the generator or inverter so not sure why it didn't get up to higher charge current in absorption stage.

~54Hz seems off. Should you be 50 or 60Hz?

I have a cheap 3.6kW split phase, but I can only pull off one leg for the time being, so I'm limited to 1800W. It's pretty messy with ±2Hz, 58-62Hz. It mostly tolerates it, but it's pretty regular that I don't get the configured amp draw or charge current, particularly if I have to run "Weak AC"

Just a late update. For whatever reason and without changing any other settings, the generator does now charge at around what the current limit setting limits it to (to keep it at ~0.1C)

Back