diy solar

diy solar

Victron Quattro 15K 277 (for 277Y/480v systems) Announced!

HighTechLab

AKA Dexter - CTO of Current Connected, LLC
Victron just announced they are releasing a variation of the Quattro 15k that is 277v from L1-N. This is AMAZING because it means we now can do off grid 277Y/480v 3 phase systems (starting at 45kVA with 3 inverters). 277Y/480 is what I refer to as the golden voltage, because it's very easy to step it down to anything if you have equipment that has odd voltage requirements.

Got a 500ft deep well pump? NO PROBLEM, now you can use a 3 phase pump and have a far simpler control system. Massive air conditioner fed with 14awg instead of 8awg? How about that 20hp HAAS CNC you wanted for your back shop?

....so I am ordering some, they will be a while before they arrive, but BOY is this revolutionary and exciting. I can't think of a single other inverter that supports 277Y/480v systems that will operate from a 48v battery bank. Sol-Ark has their new 60k, but they use high voltage batteries so it's certainly not DIY friendly whatsoever.

NOTE, my sales rep did indicate that the first batch won't be UL listed, but if we get enough demand on this, they would be willing to work to UL1741 certification.

ok I'm going to calm down now...I can feel the ADHD kicking in :ROFLMAO:

Much easier and cheaper to get step-down transformer than step-up. Plenty surplus/used.
I'm using step-up for AC coupled TriPower.

As you say, many others are high voltage (I'm thinking of the SMA 60kW or so ones in Europe.)

High voltage could be OK if series stacking kit available for (some models of) 48V server-rack batteries.
But when higher capacity is needed for 3 inverters, it is 3 sets of cables anyway. Just need busbars to parallel in a rack.

3-phase rocks because it delivers high starting torque.

I don't know. But I believe if a bypass diode was placed across each battery, it would protect the BMS from over (negative) voltage in case it disconnects as part of a series string.

You also need to be concerned with any limits for voltages relative to chassis (e.g. EMI filters), and for communications.
I think Ethernet could be OK (so long as they didn't make a common error of grounding PCB reference plane to chassis).
Is there USB? That would end up at hazardous voltage.

I would be inclined to go with one of the BMS that is meant for high voltage.

Back