diy solar

diy solar

Victron SmartSolar 100/50 no amperage but voltage from modules

mscn

Hi there, i'm new here and really pleased there are forums like this - otherwise i'd be lost!

I've started a Mini-offgrid System about two or three months ago, starting with a Victron SmartSolar 100/50. It was working pretty good so far (about 173kWh), but when i added more panels + another Victron SmartSolar 100/20 to them, die 100/50 stopped working from one day to another (both "harvesting" about 2 days alongside each other).

Cables are good, so are the fuse to the battery. Module Voltage is good and shown correctly in the Victron App, same for the battery voltage.
BUT the CC doesn't get any amperage out of the modules. The 100/20 on the opposite does its job, charging the same battery bank (2x12V lead acid 280Ah as 24V system).

I've checked everything, swapped out the module string from the 100/20 to the 100/50 but to no avail. When checking voltage on PV-input on the 100/50 (without having anything connected to it) there is about 21V on it - where do they come from? Is this "isc-voltage" to short circuit modules (i.e. when battery is full)?

TL;DR: Charger state is BULK all the time but not charging battery, while showing correct voltage for connected modules and battery. Can connect to it via app perfectly fine, add and remove it from VE.Smart Network and it charged the exact same battery bank for about 2 months but stopped doing so two or three days ago (without changing/touching anything).

Every hint very appreciated!

Thank you for your time!

Attachments

• IMG_0422.PNG
    IMG_0422.PNG
    310.3 KB · Views: 12
Hi, thanks for your reply!

I'm curious why there is no information about temperature on the screenshot above but on some other screenshots its about 26° C degrees (reported via Victron SmartBatterySense).

You said you added more modules, were those modules added to the string that is connected to the 100/50? What are the specs for the modules and how many are connected? When you say you measure 21V can you check what the open circuit voltage is of that string with it not even connected to the controller? Just would help if how everything is wired up is described a little better.

You said you added more modules, were those modules added to the string that is connected to the 100/50? What are the specs for the modules and how many are connected? When you say you measure 21V can you check what the open circuit voltage is of that string with it not even connected to the controller? Just would help if how everything is wired up is described a little better.

Hi rhino!

my explanation was somewhat incomplete regarding "added more modules". I indeed added modules but to another charge controller.
In fact there were two strings:

STRING 1 => 3x 130Wp, each: VOC 22.69V, Vmp 18.49V, Imp 7.03A, Isc 7.48A
plus
STRING 2 => 1x 330WP: VOC 45.17V - Vmp 37.69V - Imp 8.76A - Isc 9.27A
1x 130Wp specs from string 1 module

String 1: having 3 Modules, String 2 having two modules.

Both strings were connected to the 100/50 controller for about two months w/o any issues.
The CC is on battery positive and on the SmartShunt with negative (battery is 24v, 2x12 lead acid 280Ah each).

My 100/20 (controlling another set of modules) is connected the same way and is still working.

When a change is made to a string, there is concern that the new voltage from the string exceeds the Max PV Input Voltage for the solar charge controller. Given the reading on your app, and the numbers posted above, I don't think that's an issue.

Still, given the PV voltage reading in the app and the battery voltage, it's odd that you're getting no charge. My first step for troubleshooting would be to verify all the connections. A bad connection can have voltage but little to no current.

When a change is made to a string, there is concern that the new voltage from the string exceeds the Max PV Input Voltage for the solar charge controller. Given the reading on your app, and the numbers posted above, I don't think that's an issue.

Still, given the PV voltage reading in the app and the battery voltage, it's odd that you're getting no charge. My first step for troubleshooting would be to verify all the connections. A bad connection can have voltage but little to no current.

My bad .. again haha (thanks for pointing this out).
THE VOLTAGES ON THE SCREENSHOT are not the same like when the "string-configuration" (shown above) was connected to it.
The charge controller doesn't do anything since days and i connect it once a day to some spare modules to check if it came back to life.

Is it possible that the solar charge controller thinks you have a 12v battery and that's why it isn't charging?

When you say "dead", does that mean the solar charge controller isn't responding at all and there are no lights on it?

Is it possible that the solar charge controller thinks you have a 12v battery and that's why it isn't charging?

When you say "dead", does that mean the solar charge controller isn't responding at all and there are no lights on it?

1) i don't think so, because the battery voltage is way to high for this AND (more importantly) i set the battery to be 24v (App Settings).
2) Dead in terms of "not working" as intended. It still behaves like on day one - lights working (no error/blinking), no errors in history (see history-dead screenshot on the bottom "Fehler")), i can connect to the controller via blueooth, it connects and is recognized by other Victron devices .. thats why i'm out of ideas.

I don't expect this device to be bricked, at least to me it is somewhat functional. I'd expect the device to die completely when the integrated fuse got blown (so no lighting/bluetooth at all).

Since you switched the verified working string from the other controller to the 100/50, that would indicate that the 100/50 is the problem, not the PV string.

Have you disconnected battery power (after first disconnecting PV power) and let the solar charge controller sit for a few minutes?

Since you switched the verified working string from the other controller to the 100/50, that would indicate that the 100/50 is the problem, not the PV string.

Have you disconnected battery power (after first disconnecting PV power) and let the solar charge controller sit for a few minutes?
Yes, it is disconnected most of the time (waiting for RMA i guess). Connecting it every now and then but to no avail.
Replaced cables/checked voltages - nope. :(

Have you changed everything back to how it was when it was working to see if the 100/50 started working again?

It will be interesting to see what happens. There are very few failed Victron components seen here on the forum.

The usual procedure for working on the PV side is to disconnect the PV from the solar charge controller, then disconnect the battery from the solar charge controller. Reconnect is to follow the same steps in reverse. On a cheap solar charge controller if you disconnected the battery first, it's possible the solar charge controller would be fried.

Have you changed everything back to how it was when it was working to see if the 100/50 started working again?
Yes, multiple times - no luck. I put the strings on the 100/20 controller (was ready to lose it) but it was working like a charm (limited to 20A charging).

The 100/50 didn‘t came back no matter what I did.

The usual procedure for working on the PV side is to disconnect the PV from the solar charge controller, then disconnect the battery from the solar charge controller. Reconnect is to follow the same steps in reverse. On a cheap solar charge controller if you disconnected the battery first, it's possible the solar charge controller would be fried.
yes I’m aware of that. In fact I wasn‘t at home when my wife noticed the lack of power on the 100/50 (using the Victron App, she doesn‘t dare to touch anything there even with gloves haha). So: no disconnects on either side. And if the battery would‘ve been disconnected, the other charge controller might have „died“ too (both having 40A fuse on positive wire to battery and both are good since building the system).

Last edited:
Could you try simplifying even further and just have two of the 130W panels in series and having only that connected to the 100/50?

Could you try simplifying even further and just have two of the 130W panels in series and having only that connected to the 100/50?
Will try this again tomorrow for lack of sunlight now (upper Bavaria, Germany). My replacement orders will arrive tomorrow too, I expect them to work properly. :/

Can you post screenshots of your battery charge settings?

What battery(s) do you have? A pic of how those are wired?

Charge settings are 28.8V for absorption, 27.6V float, 30V for „balancing“ (got these values from battery vendor).

As for wires:
I made this on my iPad Right now (it is not the most beautiful drawing I’ve made) to date but the best I can come up with now.
Hopefully it serves its purpose :)

(i‘ve omitted sensors/inverter for simplicity)

Attachments

• 851CE790-82F9-4995-B7CB-7B816CABD468.jpeg
    851CE790-82F9-4995-B7CB-7B816CABD468.jpeg
    210.5 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:
Back