diy solar

diy solar

Victron Solar Voltage Stuck - Same voltage connected or disconnected

MartinBe

Hi,

When the pv is active, it displays a voltage of 12.58V, and even after disconnecting it, the reading remains the same. I attempted to troubleshoot by removing all wires and allowing the battery and MPPT to rest, but upon reconnecting, the issue persists.

I have thoroughly inspected all wires and fuses, confirming that they are in proper working order. Additionally, I disconnected the PV from the Victron MPPT and allowed for a reset, yet the problem persists.

I have switched to a lithium charger for charging to see if there would be any change. As a result, the PV has increased by +0.02V, bringing it to 12.60V even when not connected and dark outside.

Any suggestions or insights on how to resolve this issue would be greatly appreciated?

Attachments

• Image 001.jpg
    Image 001.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 8
My first reaction would be to look for an update, uninstall and reinstall the app.

Have you checked these readings with a multimeter?

The PV MC4 wire indicated a voltage of 8V, while the MPPT remained fixed at 12.60V.
There is no update.
I did uninstall, clear cache and reinstall and same issue.

MC4 wire indicated a voltage of 8V
Previous posts sugest issues with the panel array. With 3 panels of 100 watt in series you should see , open circuit, around 60 volts, in daytime, with the panels disconnected fron the controller. The controller will not start to work unless the input voltage is 5 volts higher than battery volts.

MC4 wire indicated a voltage of 8V
Previous posts sugest issues with the panel array. With 3 panels of 100 watt in series you should see , open circuit, aroutnd 60 volts, in daytime, with the panels disconnected fron the controller. The controller will not start to work unless the input voltage is 5 volts higher than battery volts.
Test the panels disconnected from the controller with a meter , open circuit in the region of 60 volts. Using the meter on 10 A current range, test the short circuit current. Depending on sun intensity you will see up to 5 amps, typically around 3 amps.

All connections have been removed, leaving only the battery and MPPT connected. Currently, it displays a voltage of 12.58V at PV and remains constant. Even after disconnecting all components, resetting the battery and MPPT, upon reconnection, it continues to show a PV voltage of 12.58V instead of 0 or the actual voltage from the panels. Could the MPPT be damaged?

Could the MPPT be damaged?
If it were any other brand but Victron I'd say get it replaced because if it's showing PV voltage when the wires are disconnected then it's truly bjorked.

However, everyone tells me the Victron is perfect in every way and NOTHING could EVER go wrong with them, so the problem must be that YOU broke physics and are installing this in an alternate dimension where electricity in the air is 12+v. Because Victron... and Victron!!

Running now! 😁

All connections have been removed, leaving only the battery and MPPT connected. Currently, it displays a voltage of 12.58V at PV and remains constant. Even after disconnecting all components, resetting the battery and MPPT, upon reconnection, it continues to show a PV voltage of 12.58V instead of 0 or the actual voltage from the panels. Could the MPPT be damaged?

What's the voltage at the solar leads when tested with a Volt Meter?

Oh right. 8 volts.

Your voltage is too low to wake the controller up or you connected the battery to the PV input.

How about some pictures of the controller all hooked up?

Last edited:
What's the voltage at the solar leads when tested with a Volt Meter?

Oh right. 8 volts.

Your voltage is too low to wake the controller up or you connected the battery to the PV input.

How about some pictures of the controller all hooked up?
Apologies for my absence over the past few days; I was remote. I've observed an anomaly where the voltage remains around 12.60v, even in the absence of sunlight or when disconnected. It seems peculiar. I plan to conduct further testing tomorrow with increased sunlight exposure, hoping it might reset the voltage issue. I'm a beginner in this field, so please refrain from being rude. I welcome any help and advice to aid in my learning process.

Attachments

• 20240301resized.jpg
    20240301resized.jpg
    532.4 KB · Views: 9
Apologies for my absence over the past few days; I was remote. I've observed an anomaly where the voltage remains around 12.60v, even in the absence of sunlight or when disconnected. It seems peculiar. I plan to conduct further testing tomorrow with increased sunlight exposure, hoping it might reset the voltage issue. I'm a beginner in this field, so please refrain from being rude. I welcome any help and advice to aid in my learning process.

A picture of the connections at the SCC.

I think some wires are just mixed up or you have a bad crimp.

Unlikely the controller is bad out of the box.

Back