diy solar

diy solar

Victron System: Very reliable but then random drop in production?

ADDvanced

Hey everyone, been a while.

Last winter I installed a 700 watt off grid shed, with victron components (F renogy!!!!), thread with details here:

Now, ever since I got it working, this system has been rock solid! Usually have 90% battery or higher the next morning, which is quickly refilled to 100% before noon. Overbuilt the heck out of this system because it's at high altitude in the rockies, and we get a LOT of snow.

That said, about a week ago I noticed an odd discrepancy on my victron VRM; it showed that for 4-5 days in a row, it produced.... zero power. ?!?!

I've attached a screen shot.

Can anyone start to point me towards what I should be looking at??? I will be visiting my property in a few weeks so kind of want to know what to look for when I get there, but again, this system has been solid for 6+ months now!

1689015656589.png

Smoke? Rain?

Did you’re chins with heaters hit low temp cut off again?

No smoke, no rain, it was sunny/partly cloudy. I don't have any heaters.

Did you not have issues with your batteries not charging due to low temp cut off?

In NH June was the snowiest month on Mt Washington in about 100 years maybe, a cold snap chilled the batteries to prevent charging.

Did you get a Victron temp sensor to connect to your VRM? So you can remote track temps?

Did you check the alarm logs on the VRM site?
Uhhhh no? lol brb. Thanks!

1689027046611.png
Okay, wow, lots of alarms... but ..... nothing that lasted long enough to explain the absence of power generation. Also, really weird it's low voltage alarms, given that the smart shunt says I have over 90% power most mornings.

Last edited:
Also... it's showing my inverter is "unknown" and "not connected". All other components are live, but my inverter was last 'seen' 5 hours ago. Huh. I wonder if my inverter is flaky....

Did you not have issues with your batteries not charging due to low temp cut off?

In NH June was the snowiest month on Mt Washington in about 100 years maybe, a cold snap chilled the batteries to prevent charging.

Did you get a Victron temp sensor to connect to your VRM? So you can remote track temps?

Yes, but it wasn't cold those days. I checked weather history, 70s/80s/90s the entire time. I don't have a temp sensor tho.

If the inverter is working but has lost communication with the VRM. That would probably look like zero production.

If the inverter is working but has lost communication with the VRM. That would probably look like zero production.
He's using a Victron system.. the charge controller is independent and reports independently through the Cerbo GX ;)

Ampeare time strikes again! looks like it sorted it self out though.
Yeah I am regretting getting batteries with BMS. Or BMS I can't control, interact with, or diagnose. It's probably their stupid BMS.

Back