diy solar

diy solar

Victron VenusOS driver for serial connected BMS - JBD / Daly / ANT / JKBMS / Heltec / Renogy / Tian / ECS

Hi any news for ant24? I have order with USB just few days ago, I can try it as well as soon as will arrived.

Will updates be required for this driver for those using Venus 2.80 and later, since that release will only support Python 3?

any news for ant
I have not started to look at the ANT BMS. I don't have an example of the BMS to do testing with and all other users that has one does not seem to be able to connect the BMS to their controllers or PC. If we can solve that it should be fairly simple as the ANT protocol is about 90% to what we use for the LLT/JBD BMS already.
You can subscribe to the issue here

No it should all work fine on Python 3. The driver was written on Python 3. I had to add backfills in to make it work on Python 2.8 when I first moved it to the VenusOS.

Louisvdw, is your driver supports Heltec (JK) BMS ?

Hi, So if i have a JBD BMS will it connect to mp2-gx? (built in GX)i know it says all GX just checking. Many thanks for all the good work on this!

Hi. Yes it will work fine with the Multi II GX.
There is only 1 USB though, so it might be a more flexable setup if you add a USB hub and then plug the battery into that, but that is optional.

No not at this moment.
It does have RS232 and RS485 serial connection options, so it should be possible.
I you can find the communications protocol for the BMS, then create a ticket in GitHub for this BMS and upload that doc. If there is intrest for other users we can add it.

Attachments

• BMS CAN instruction(1).pdf
    150.2 KB · Views: 47
  • BMS-CAN2-english.pdf
    157.7 KB · Views: 32
  • BMS 485 instruction(1).pdf
    700.4 KB · Views: 47
Louisvdw, thanks for your excellent efforts.

The new v0.5 release works well with my Cerbo GX firmware v2.72 and Daly 8S 24V on UART but doesn't on RS485 port.

I'm checking to find it is because the USB-RS485 cable or Daly BMS.

Hi @henrysimon
The Daly UART and RS485 are located at different address. So you will see in the log files that it is Testing the Daly twice, once for each address. So if you only see one Testing Daly it is connecting to the first one (the RS485). If you see it Testing Daly for a second time and then it is connecting it is using the other connection (UART/Bluetooth port)

Im still having issues daly smart BMS, victron cable into 4 port usb hub in mp2gx . I have the et112 meter plugged into usb hub as well, usb software stick also into the hub, I have cut off the Daly 485 usb plug and connected the 3 wires black to black, and the other 2 colours have been switched around to see which way etc, rebooted etc but just not picking up.

I am only testing the theory as I have yet to received the lifepo4 so have rigged up to 4x12gels all connected to mp2gx. the Daly smart bms is connected by the black cell wire and the last red and fires up by pressing the little battery monitor I ordered at the same time as the bus, bluetooth app working all ok.

any ideas?

I know this is not a detailed report but Im not really into the Ssh etc. what am I missing?

Im still having issues daly smart BMS
I assume your issue is that your Daly is not picked up?
Do you have a 3/4 cell Daly? They use other commands and I still have to implement them. The 8sell and more will work.
You will have to look at the log files. If you do not want to use SSH, then download FileZilla and use SFTP with the SSH details and copy the log files to your PC. See troubleshoot for which log files to look at.

I assume your issue is that your Daly is not picked up?
Do you have a 3/4 cell Daly? They use other commands and I still have to implement them. The 8sell and more will work.
You will have to look at the log files. If you do not want to use SSH, then download FileZilla and use SFTP with the SSH details and copy the log files to your PC. See troubleshoot for which log files to look at.
Ok found the files now need to download!!

Last edited:
Personally,
click the troubleshoot link in my previous post. It give the details for the log files you are looking for and what to look at in them.
hehe.. how to look at them, that's my problem (sorry) i have them on screen just need to view or download

I think its the ports connection on the BMS. I have a new Victron 485 cable and have found some pictures etc on the net but i believe this is where i am going wrong.

I have not started to look at the ANT BMS. I don't have an example of the BMS to do testing with and all other users that has one does not seem to be able to connect the BMS to their controllers or PC. If we can solve that it should be fairly simple as the ANT protocol is about 90% to what we use for the LLT/JBD BMS already.
I was able to connected to the BMS via isb interface with their sw without issues. I can do some test for you as well.

Fantastic driver. Installation was straightforward and plugged JBD-UART box- RPI with 5m extension and worked. Connected second battery to another USB port on RPI and can see both batteries. Brilliant. A couple of questions.

1. I can see that each battery is on a different USB port. Is there a way to Label each battery separately? i.e Battery 1, Battery 2
2. I updated the Utils.py file to match my charge and discharge currents as per instructions. I also modified "Manage charge current" section of the Battery.py file to increase the charge current to account for having two batteries in parallel. Will this work okay?
# Change depending on the SOC values
if 98 < self.soc <= 100:
self.control_charge_current = 2
elif 95 < self.soc <= 97:
self.control_charge_current = 8

Appreciate your efforts.

Cheers,
Peter

Back