diy solar

diy solar

Victron VRM-data use and hotspot device

Bluedog225

Texas
I’m at the point where I want to hook up the Victron remote monitoring functionality. Looks like I’ll need a hotspot at my remote off grid place.

What devices do y’all use, and what is your dad use per month? Just checking in on the place? Do you have remote cameras or other devices?

I’ll use this info to pick a data plan.

Thanks

Starlink.

Data use isn't much, but it depends on how frequently you're logging data. The most frequent is 1 min, and I think the default is 15 min. I recommend 1 min.

With my system including BMS data fed to VRM, it's about 10MB/day. I'm basing this off about 3-4 days of internal CCGX memory storage when connection goes down. I would be good for about 3-4 days before I started losing VRM data.

I added a MicroSD card, and I probably have a couple of years of offline storage available now.

If it suits you, you could have an intermittent connection where it would store locally and then "catch up" the next time it's connected.

Starlink.

Data use isn't much, but it depends on how frequently you're logging data. The most frequent is 1 min, and I think the default is 15 min. I recommend 1 min.

With my system including BMS data fed to VRM, it's about 10MB/day. I'm basing this off about 3-4 days of internal CCGX memory storage when connection goes down. I would be good for about 3-4 days before I started losing VRM data.

I added a MicroSD card, and I probably have a couple of years of offline storage available now.

If it suits you, you could have an intermittent connection where it would store locally and then "catch up" the next time it's connected.

Curious if you went with the starlink due to lack of available carriers in your area? Or other reasons related to reliability or bandwidth.

Thanks

I’m at the point where I want to hook up the Victron remote monitoring functionality. Looks like I’ll need a hotspot at my remote off grid place.

What devices do y’all use, and what is your dad use per month? Just checking in on the place? Do you have remote cameras or other devices?

I’ll use this info to pick a data plan.

Thanks
Not related but fyi. It's happened twice with me that the raspberry pi stopped communicating with vrm. In my case I just walked to the shed and rebooted the device and all was well.

Since this is remote for you there is a setting on the vrm page on the console to automatically reboot the device if communication with vrm is lost for x hours.

I would recommend you enable that setting

Have you seen this? I've looked at one several times but never used one yet. The spec I found read like it came with 5 years of cellular service but don't quote me on that.

Have you seen this? I've looked at one several times but never used one yet. The spec I found read like it came with 5 years of cellular service but don't quote me on that.

I was wondering about that.

I need to get the signal from the outside world (hotspot, Starlink, etc). Then into the conex (metal box).

And I need something that will run when the Quattro goes into low voltage shutdown. So it needs to be powered by the 48 volt bank (or a standalone 12 volt system).

I live on an island in a lake in Maine. We can drive to it (crossing a narrow bit of shallow water) but it's almost 2 miles from the highway. We use Starlink (fantastic) because other options (cell carriers and a WISP) are far less reliable and have lower speeds at that location. My VRM data use seems to mirror that of @sunshine_eggo. It updates as fast as possible (says Realtime) and on local network it seems to update every few seconds. I use VRM on a RaspberryPi3B and it's been great for two years now. Whatever you do, plug it into a UPS device, but I recommend that for all computing devices, modems, and routers. If I were building a larger Victron system or if we weren't here full time I'd go with a CerboGX for the easier configuration I think it enables (vs the RPi) but the RPi has been fine for my needs. I can see how the system is doing from anywhere with an internet connection while traveling.

We're building an off-grid barn with living quarters this summer, and an off-grid house next year (contractor availability) about seven miles away (closer to highway, easier access as we get older). There, we'll try Verizon Mobile's LTE home internet service because the signal is much better at that location and it costs about half Starlink's cost, with comparable speed. When fiber comes through in about a year, we'll switch to that. Hope that helps.

I'm also using Starlink at my remote off-grid cottage. There's really no other option for me, as cell signal is really bad at the location. I have a summary of my set up here: https://diysolarforum.com/threads/grounding-and-starlink.83387/post-1101508.

For data usage, according to my Unifi console the Cerbo GX has used 6.71MB over the past 24 hours which tracks with what sunshine_eggo reported. I also added a micro SD card to back data up just in case.

I have not added cameras yet, but am planning to add a couple of Ubiquity G5 bullet cameras. I'm using this POE switch: https://amzn.com/dp/B076HZFY3F, which I'm powering directly from my battery, to power all POE things. The switch power supply outputs 53V so I just hacked off the DC barrel plug to power it directly from my battery.

The great thing is that all of my networking is powered directly from DC, so it's more power efficient and it doesn't require the inverter to be running.

I’m in the process of setting up a home system and will be using the Cerbo GX for monitoring and plan on using the WIFI as the connection and hopefully they have worked out the bug where it kept dropping off WIFI on the previous Cerbo GX which was annoying. I saw a fix on the Victron Forum and took it apart and moved the receiver and that didn’t work either. This was always an issue in our Sprinter van and I finally just connected a hardwired connection to our Peplink router. I just ordered and received the newer Cerbo GX MK2 and I hope that I don’t have to do the same and that the WIFI stays connected without dropping off.

I like to have the van with constant internet as I have a Ring camera attached to it for security, a WIFI thermostat, GPS antenna connected to the Cerbo, remote start for our generator and a few other things so I want the internet on all the time. After multiple attempts, I finally decided to bite the bullet and order a pricier Peplink router. I have Starlink hardwired to it which I converted to 12v. The Peplink router also comes with four additional slots for SIM cards and we have added a Verizon and a T-Mobile one. So far when we have traveled around the states, we have not been to an area without internet. The Peplink router basically jumps around between the SIM cards and Starlink to see which has the better signal seamlessly without dropping your connection. I run a small business so I need to be connected and the reason for spending the additional money but really worth it for us. I also added a cutoff switch for the Starlink as it does draw some power and “supposedly” you can get turned off if you’re using in motion without buying their expensive in motion dish. I have their Gen 2 Dish which I modified. I also disabled the snow melting feature as that also draws a lot of power.

Attachments

• IMG_1018.jpeg
    IMG_1018.jpeg
    443.5 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_1020.jpeg
    IMG_1020.jpeg
    454.7 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_0979.jpeg
    IMG_0979.jpeg
    172.8 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
I was wondering about that.

I need to get the signal from the outside world (hotspot, Starlink, etc). Then into the conex (metal box).

And I need something that will run when the Quattro goes into low voltage shutdown. So it needs to be powered by the 48 volt bank (or a standalone 12 volt system).

I have something of a hodge-podge of bits. I have to supply internet to 2 5ers and also inside the 40' conex.

With DSL, I had the modem in one of the 5ers close to the DSL hookup with a direct bury ethernet cable to the conex to a wireless access point inside. This gives both wifi and hardline options in the conex. Modem and AP were powered by 48-12VDC converter, so I did not lose internet when 120VAC goes down.

With Starlink, the dish connects to a PoE box that connects to the same Wireless AP. From there I run the direct bury cable OUT to a mesh router to supply wifi outside the conex. PoE and conex AP are still powered by DC, but the mesh router in the 5er is still powered by 120VAC, so I will go partially down when I lose 120VAC, but my CCGX is still online.

Ah, cameras. Forgot that. I've tried just about every cheap option out there, and think I might spend my solar equipment savings on better ones at the new place. Currently have a few Reolink and find they're so-so. Lusting after the Ubiquiti stuff but I think it's a proprietary system and I fear being locked in. Might just use Blue Iris and try a few different mfrs.

Back