diy solar

diy solar

Video that puts American vs Chinese solar manufacturing into perspective

I think most americans are in for future shock

Most former brands of American made are foreign global owned and ruined. Think chinese own gm now. Go look it up.
Link Please I cannot find anything that says that. It shows Americans Mary Barra, Mark Reuss and Dan Ammann owning it along with a bunch of other people including Warren Buffet.

/
Link Please I cannot find anything that says that. It shows Americans Mary Barra, Mark Reuss and Dan Ammann owning it along with a bunch of other people including Warren Buffet.
buffet is heavy into the chinese byd ev market However someone stated he was bailing and cashing out then heard that wasn’t true. Who knows.
IMG_6694.jpeg

For GM and Volkswagon it was via a joint venture. SAIC. But who knows.

IMG_6693.jpeg

Dodge jeep chrysler is either italian or french or both it gets passed around.

Ford is a global company last read.

I don’t try to keep up with it anymore like in the past.

I find it strange how many inverter companies lie. It is like the Mig Welder Companies that advertised USA on out side but were really chinese. Miller Lincoln and so on. Especially when they swapped over to Inverter technology from transformers.

Fronius is a big name.

Victron and Fronius got in bed and went to china. I think Fronius was already there in China and Victron had been exploiting India.
Deye is a big name for inverters. Probably Sol-Ark. rut ro. Strange they advertise on Alibaba for Deye but sellers say USA distributor have it all sewn up.
Example:
IMG_6690.png

No links - find it like I did. The World is at your finger tips. Imagine real explorers like Columbus. Be brave and use your search feature.

Fronius does make a very interesting wire fed tig welders …..welding skills come in handy. Great welders help. ESAB use to make good stuff too..

I’ve played with some Fronius welders in past they are interesting. This tig like mig wire feeding is interesting. Kind of curious why Fronius has not made bigger name in pv-inverter-off grid.

All of these are most likely Chinese inverter welders. Tig welding makes nice welds can build all sorts of things. 😁 Young ppl are going to have to learn trades…..they should be doing it anyway.
IMG_6696.png

Heck even Harbor freight has decent welders now. ESAB and FRONIUS are on upper ends now. Fronius use to be cheap.

Example only:
IMG_6697.png

/

buffet is heavy into the chinese byd ev market However someone stated he was bailing and cashing out then heard that wasn’t true. Who knows.
View attachment 220025

For GM and Volkswagon it was via a joint venture. SAIC. But who knows.

View attachment 220023

Dodge jeep chrysler is either italian or french or both it gets passed around.

Ford is a global company last read.

I don’t try to keep up with it anymore like in the past.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SAIC-GM

What Chinese EVs do they sell in Australia?
BYD sell several models, as do Polestar and MG (SAIC) while other Chinese made EVs sold here include GWM, LDV as well as all the Teslas sold here.

In country of origin numbers, China is now the 3rd largest supplier of vehicles to Australia (after Japan and Thailand).

I fail to see what opportunity was missed? Consider when the first internal combustion engines were conceived and “built” and when automobiles came into widespread use. Centuries. Even in these modern days technology takes much time to develop. The lithium battery chemistry most of us are using today (LFP) was not “discovered” until 1996. I’m not a fan of Carter but I see no problem with him putting up the panels, but to allege that it somehow shows a missed opportunity is ridiculous and little more than a jab at his political opponents. I propose that the only reason solar power generation has taken off in this country is due to the vast wealth created in our country by the fossil fuel production boom that has taken place since 2008 or so. I’m not sure how many people realize/understand how much better off middle class people in this country are as a result of it, and a good portion of that excess wealth is what has fueled solar product consumption in this country. Cheap oil and natural gas is the only reason the USA economy is not a utter disaster.

I totally agree that the fast wealth in the US is at least partially due to fossil fuels. I will also agree that US economy is doing well if you look at the record stock market and rising employment numbers, not so well when you look at wealth distribution, so it all depends on how you look at it. If people like Biden they will say it is wonderful, if they like Trump they will say it is terrible.

However, none of that has anything to do with the point I was trying to make that the US could have been the world leader in those industries if it had used a tiny fraction of that wealth to continue on the path that was started under the Carter administration, so I am puzzled to see why you choose to go there.

the point I was trying to make that the US could have been the world leader in those industries if it had used a tiny fraction of that wealth to continue on the path that was started under the Carter administration, so I am puzzled to see why you choose to go there.
Not sure why you are puzzled- the path started by Carter and continued by Reagan, Clinton and 2nd Bush - the path of subsidizing research and development of methods of increasing fossil fuel production - read about “The Nonconventional Fuels (Section 29) Tax Credit went into effect in 1980“ and subsequent US funding of those efforts by both major political parties. This is what led to the fracking boom beginning in 2008.

Carter’s path absolutely was followed and put us where we are today. The solar panels on the White House was solely for publicity.

Not sure why you are puzzled- the path started by Carter and continued by Reagan, Clinton and 2nd Bush - the path of subsidizing research and development of methods of increasing fossil fuel production - read about “The Nonconventional Fuels (Section 29) Tax Credit went into effect in 1980“ and subsequent US funding of those efforts by both major political parties. This is what led to the fracking boom beginning in 2008.

Carter’s path absolutely was followed and put us where we are today. The solar panels on the White House was solely for publicity.
Not the way I read it, but thanks for that anyway, it makes the Chinese efforts even more remarkable.

Last edited:
I've read several places Victron is made in China so given that is it really worth the price of 3x over this relabelled SRNE?

1000000608.jpg

VS

1000000607.jpg

Or maybe buy knock off of EG4 branded Chinese inverter? Save money go it alone for what appears be same exact product. BTW this is becoming common. The Ecoworthy is a SRNE relabel at discount. So.... at some point ppl that paid more for same thing will feel flim flammed screwed.

IMG_6765.png

IMG_6766.jpeg

Hmmmmm …… pay more get the same? Pay less get the same? The Victron has the LF transformer…… but 3x the cost as label Ecoworthy SRNE. Hmmmm…. Can understand why new ppl get confused… or not sure.

I've read several places Victron is made in China so given that is it really worth the price of 3x over this relabelled SRNE?

View attachment 220689

VS

View attachment 220690

Or maybe buy knock off of EG4 branded Chinese inverter? Save money go it alone for what appears be same exact product. BTW this is becoming common. The Ecoworthy is a SRNE relabel at discount. So.... at some point ppl that paid more for same thing will feel flim flammed screwed.

View attachment 220691

View attachment 220692

Hmmmmm …… pay more get the same? Pay less get the same? The Victron has the LF transformer…… but 3x the cost as label Ecoworthy SRNE. Hmmmm…. Can understand why new ppl get confused… or not sure.
I don't believe Victron is made in China, some maybe. I think it's Mexico and Taiwan; I'll have to find the box for my 100/20.

In my experience the Victron starts making power earlier and longer (morning and evening) than the MPPTs in my SRNE, I doubt it adds up to much but I never really did any 'scientific' testing on it.
They are pretty much the same during good light hours.
I made a thread a while back .

Attachments

• Screenshot_2024-06-08-19-37-34-41_30b6efbd53acd6f273baafa7ca03da38.jpg
    Screenshot_2024-06-08-19-37-34-41_30b6efbd53acd6f273baafa7ca03da38.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 2
  • Screenshot_2024-06-08-19-37-56-47_cbf47468f7ecfbd8ebcc46bf9cc626da.jpg
    Screenshot_2024-06-08-19-37-56-47_cbf47468f7ecfbd8ebcc46bf9cc626da.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 2
Support though..you gotta pay the support.
True…to be fair EG4 Offers a battery circuit breaker, battery cables and wifi dongle….. and can speak to someone there-here. So factors really favor EG4 over the lesser compared on Ebay. Hahaha Crazy World. ….EG4 are translators and catch a lot of hell….when something fails. Not much praise. Ppl satisfied rarely speak up. Of course way business is run why should they? The other companies like one offering the eg4 clone 3000 will roll up - disappear at first signs trouble and reappear again with new name same relabelled yet again product. Me name “Tom no longer Jerry” 😁 Several decades ago customer service went to India as a hub….they had adopted American names and tried act like lived here. 😁😳 usually things like computer support. Their solutions were based like AutoZone needing all info about vehicle before selling a common part. I look at EG4 LIKE BROKERS. 😁

My biggest problem like most Americans is talking to Chinese. The language is a major barrier. My Chinese cousin said if you think that is bad grow up there and move here at around 40-50 years old sometime mid-1980 time frame. Cousin hated communist. He dead now….Chinese flu killed the half Chinese….half American My uncle was Navy UDT pre-SEAL frogman sent to China to fight Japanese in WW2. Uncle had some spare time to mess around…..did not know he left a package in China for over 40-50 years. Chinese cousin showed up knocked on door introduced himself. 😁👍 unckie was like what what…his current wife was pissed. He didn’t even know her when Chinese cousin was banged out. Pots Pans. Cousin’s Chinese mom died so he came to America. Again Hated communist…no matter what voted republican. Good guy….electrical field…like most in my family.

Below …This is why dis-like Chinese Marketing….and advertising as an example of “me play joke me put pee pee in your coke.” Typical.

What I ordered from MPP Solar and what seen advertised…at the time.

IMG_6767.jpeg
What I got delivered from MPP Solar minus parallel board. This picture was added later.

IMG_6768.jpeg

When complained what was offered…..was different had planned to buy 1 then another to parallel. Sure glad didn’t buy 2 and discover the parallel boards were not in as advertised at the time. Hahaha CHINESE….marketing. Almost as bad as Egyptian marketing and labor over in that Country. They would get mighty upset if told them didn’t like a product. You could offer low price just don’t say didn’t like product. Snicker. I watched an Egyptian hammer out brass pots - spend all day making one or two then sell one of them for a dollar. They were happy to get that dollar. Their family had waded through old mine fields to collect the brass up from prior Wars to make them. Some of those land mines were like bouncing betty …. pop up blow your nutz off. All for a dollar. Smile The funny thing about Egypt if they told you those hammered pots were $2 and you just paid them $2 without haggling = they thought you were an idiot. Haggling is part of the process…no haggle they equate you to an idiot for paying initial asking price. Damn. If you say don’t like something insult the whole process. Whew.

Now MPP $130 just for 2 parallel boards plus shipping…with split phase 120/240 vac. Basically can toss the current linking cables…out that are in parallel kits. Not used. So….

IMG_6770.jpeg

But guess what ….with new updated 3024 get the parallel boards included. MPP is - jumping on parallel band wagon boasting split phase. Some companies lie about small inverter split phase capabilities and hide out right fact need to buy 2 inverters….which they reveal like in the 3000inverter copy of eg4 - 3000 watt unit. Dig for it. Chinese english…marketing.. Snicker. Parallel Board is Exactly what should have been in it all along - parallel boards. EG4 had para boards in their 3000w inverters. Hahahaha…. The MPP ppl did update the mppt in 3024 model too……..however….bet the consumption at idle went up. Also know the software changed so person won’t be able parallel them to older 3024 units. Gotcha … snicker. But it is progress. Right? 😁😎 we love progress…I dislike stagnant tech….especially if it is problematic.

Chinese marketing and business at work. Snicker. Any bets on whether they upgrade the MPP 3048? I’d better hurry and buy another old model MPP 3048 plus 2 parallel boards $750+ to get split phase or just eat it and get something else. Snicker. 😁 I looked at EG4 6000xp…out of stock sold out like crazy.

My current MPP 3048 has performed great….so no complaints about it. MPP Solar also sent me a copy of out dated manual for it….wasted my time before purchasing….I was kinda po’ed ….. over that because had read through it ….. software - firmware in mine was bit different then old manual. I like to read the manuals before purchasing some-most things..
I have no complaints against MPP other then customer service and initial advertising. The MPP 3048 has performed as expected.

IMG_6769.jpeg

I don't believe Victron is made in China, some maybe. I think it's Mexico and Taiwan; I'll have to find the box for my 100/20.

In my experience the Victron starts making power earlier and longer (morning and evening) than the MPPTs in my SRNE, I doubt it adds up to much but I never really did any 'scientific' testing on it.
They are pretty much the same during good light hours.
I made a thread a while back .

Easy on red necks…..sun did it….they built railroads too. 👀😁😎 muh meh system is tiny….now know how ppl with a small one feel. Embarrassed. My tiny array … 😁👌🏻

I bought a Victron to be backwards compatible to a new inverter(?) or a victron system. I considered setting up Victron 1200/48 inverter with it’s own batteries and small solar panel array - 150-35 mppt just to solo run a 12,000 btu mini split heat pump. I changed my mind for now. Figured even the Victron would not last if ran it maxxed out… think the key to longevity with anything is conservative overhead for build and thus power. Like having fast car or motorcycle and just using 10-50% of throttle. Only Blip it from time to time. Inverters are cheap now. I also considered another inverter because those small Victron Phoenix don’t do ac pass through - UPS like mode.

It would be something to see a new Victron in ~2000w-5000w / 48vdc with mppt and ac ups type mode….AIO victron. There is a European version Victron AIO. Victron is like the old metal Tonka toy Dump Trucks…they got a cookie cutter and will never change from it as long as ppl buy their older stuff. The complexity of AIO does make them harder to fix. Love hate thing. Potting the Victron mppt internally makes them stable but also means can’t be repaired. That EG4 mppt can be opened and repaired. The EG4 terminals are on what appears be a din rail. …. Which is a plus.
IMG_6764.jpeg
Why made some ppl mad over on Up In Smoke forum. Victron is going to be outpaced This EG4 solar charger is cheap priced at $399. Victron’s 450v mppt is expensive.

This is currently the darling of new inverters….EG4 6000xp. Simple and clean AIO.
IMG_6783.jpeg

Without the breakers is $200 or so cheaper. Packaging…

IMG_6784.png

One of the USA dealers for these Deye 8kW inverters claim to be in Las Vegas. ……😎

IMG_6781.jpeg

I would be looking at Fronius if they keep prices low …..I doubt they will be affordable

Sadly they all come up short in 1 aspect or another.

IMG_6788.jpeg
IMG_6789.jpeg

I’d better the planned dealer and installer network will make them not diy friendly here. Thus they will be high priced.

Edit added forgot
IMG_6790.jpeg

IMG_6787.jpeg

Last edited:
View attachment 219189This is good example of Americans at work and being competitive……NOT.

Inverter is Widow thumb and 4 daughters ROSIE.
Want ac attachment sure add $800 plus dollars. Want a wall mount add $100-$200. They give us reasons for want a Rosie.

No thanks

Ac attachment from chinese
Something like this should been envisioned long ago. Cheap priced too.
View attachment 219231

View attachment 219232
Edward Deming tried to help America ….. we crapped on him. To big to fail. The Japanese learned from him. The Chinese are getting there.

Stuff from japan before your time was called cheap jap junk. They changed all that. Became good quality by process …. Then Taiwan came later. Both now make good stuff same with chinese it will improve. Look at Harbor Freight. Of course prices will go up and wealth will be transferred. Oh well. Pass that crack pipe give me some more of the chinese fentanyl …. Keep the border open and let it flow. Drown our sorrows … there are old patterns and history being repeated. Most ppl fail.

I read chinese are training 100 engineers to our 1. They were also training about 100 special forces to our 1. Our tanks in WW2 were not the best but we made a lot of them real quick. The chinese are around 4x our population with friends around the world now. The chinese don’t do debt loan forgiveness. They take stuff. Sri Lanke and soon to be African ports and cities. Others like south America.

Votex are good. Imagine them in hands of their special forces 100 to our 1. When their aircraft carriers are built up …. you will see “change you can believe in.”

Import tariffs are paid by consumers - SCREWED. PPL ON BOTTOM ALWAYS GET SCREWED
I sure could of used that distribution box about a month ago. I ended up using MS MNDC box at almost twice the cost, and that is without all the breakers!

Reactions: D71
I sure could of used that distribution box about a month ago. I ended up using MS MNDC box at almost twice the cost, and that is without all the breakers!
Their stuff is expensive. I don’t think they lie about it though.

This is current trend for liars. Notice how they advertise. Wholly avocado dip don’t step in it.

IMG_6844.jpeg

diy solar

diy solar
Back