diy solar

diy solar

Virgin solar install on my class a

Kg0gp

Hello all, a will prowse acolyte here,
I have decided to upgrade a new to us 32' winnebago dp, to solar, heres my plan with a final question, 400 watts of 12v panels on the roof, 2 100 ah lithium batteries, make and model TBD, renogy 50 dcc50s, controller, question I have is, how best to utilize my generator, 8500 watt diesel, do I need a new converter charger? And how to connect it? Hope this makes sense..
Mark

Why pay a premium for 12V panels when 60cell 24V panels are cheaper power watt & perform better ?
You'll need a respectable Solar Charge Controller capable of 50A to charge the batteries. A Converter is NOT an Inverter. A very common replacement for that is an Samlex EVO Inverter/Charger which takes shore power, genset power and inverts from the batteries to give you 120VAC. They were designed for marine & RV / Mobile use as well as stationary applications, they even have a Solar Charge port to attach your SCC to them and simplify your system.

More details in my signature.

Why pay a premium for 12V panels when 60cell 24V panels are cheaper power watt & perform better ?
You'll need a respectable Solar Charge Controller capable of 50A to charge the batteries. A Converter is NOT an Inverter. A very common replacement for that is an Samlex EVO Inverter/Charger which takes shore power, genset power and inverts from the batteries to give you 120VAC. They were designed for marine & RV / Mobile use as well as stationary applications, they even have a Solar Charge port to attach your SCC to them and simplify your system.

More details in my signature.
I'm using the renogy because of its ability to charge batteries at 50 amps either by solar or off my alternator, 12v panels because the renogy can only use 30 volts of solar or less, I was thinking of the intellipower 60 amp charger converter, I just didn't know how to hook up the genset leg of the power with the renogy dcc50s, I'm thinking just a direct connect to the battery bank, with the renogy...

Back