diy solar

diy solar

Voltage Drop Calculators

Kornbread

Solar Addict
I am getting some wildly varying results when using online voltage drop calculators. This is going to make a large difference in the cost of the home run wiring. What online calculators have you found to be accurate? ... and a link please.

Best Boat Wire dot com

1644355521433.png

Bay Marine Supply
1644355571866.png

Ok,, I think I see what is going on. The Bay Marine calculator asks for round trip, while calculatordotnet asks for distance one way, and the Best Boat Wire calculator fails to specify either but appears to double the run length. Huge difference in $ wire.

For 92volts/60amps and 100' one way, and considering what the local Lowes has in stock, it looks like two runs of 6awg copper thhn/thwn(cheaper to buy a 500' roll for $325), or Aluminum URD 2-2-4 triplex for ~$120.

IIRC, somewhere there is an NEC code that says only wire gauge of 1/0 or larger can be paralleled. Does this apply to the home run from a ground based solar array, or is it ok to parallel 6awg? Since the home run wires from the array join at the solar inverter, aren't they in effect paralleled even if they start separately at the array?

Back