Weak cell issue solved!

sunshine_eggo

Happy Breffast!
FWIW, multi-channel hobby chargers can't be used simultaneously on the same battery/cell unless it is specifically documented it can do that. It will typically be listed as "synchronous mode."

The linked HTRC one definitely won't (I have one), and the HOTA probably won't either.

I have an iCharger 4010B Duo that does have a synchronous mode. Can use both channels to charge at up to 70A/1400W with other limitations, but it needs to be fed from DC with the input current limited to 50A.

Last edited:

sunshine_eggo

Happy Breffast!
Tell me specifically, what i am doing wrong? Tell me how I don't know how to EQ a battery? Tell me how to its wiser to use a "R/C hobby charger" (for remote control cars and planes that utilize a 1500 MILLI a/h battery) Tell me how this R/C charger will fare when it charges a battery 1000 times bigger than it is designed for. As a R/C charger its duty cycle is minutes and charging my forklift battery it will be hours and hours. Tell me it has a big enough heat sync to charge for hours on end?

I am telling you that. Some are made better than others. I've pulled/pushed 300Ah @ 25A with the units I have. One one is done, I immediately start the next - literally running days constantly aside from the switch to the next.

It's important to realize that 100A @ 2.5V is only 250W - this is a trivial amount of power for mid to high range hobby chargers. Even the cheap ones can run continuously for days at 10-20A @ 2.5V (50W max).

home skillet

Mine Hindle runs continuously at 2.6 VDC outputting 13 amps. (it is rated at 10 amps, but will output 13). Ideally i'd like a charger that outputs 100 amps at 2.5 / 2.6 volts. What is the gauge of the wiring that carries 2.6 vdc 100 amps to the battery?

home skillet

do you make these 1 gauge cables yourself or do they come with the charger? Is the output voltage adjustable in .1 volt increments?
i have to find one that runs on 120vac and outputs 2.6vdc at or near 100 amps for a PB battery

sunshine_eggo

Happy Breffast!
do you make these 1 gauge cables yourself or do they come with the charger? Is the output voltage adjustable in .1 volt increments?
i have to find one that runs on 120vac and outputs 2.6vdc at or near 100 amps for a PB battery

I'm confused by your question. I've made no claims along those lines. I answered your explicit question concerning wire gauge for the stated criteria, 2.6V, 100A.

I personally have a 30A hobby charger capable of single cell Pb charging of 2.5V in 0.01V increments. I fabricated 3' leads w/8awg superworm wire.

home skillet

my bad......i never said you made you own cables......but when i look online i see the R/C chargers and they say cables sold separately. I haven't seen any 1 gauge cables.....thats all. I have to make a lot of my own cables out of 4/0 welding cable. Nothing wrong with making your own wiring.