diy solar

diy solar

Weird acting Ampere Time battery

First, discharge circuit should be closed. The battery is above -20°C, so there should be no impediment to discharge.

Even if there's a transition between PV and drawing from the battery, what can the heaters possibly pull? 100A? That would be a 1200W heater. 50A, 600W, etc. (and highly unlikely that they're anywhere near this), and aren't most of these batteries rated for 0.5 or 1C discharge?

I don't see how the heaters could possibly cause a dip to 6V when charging is disengaged.

If they are designed to work that way, they are shite and shouldn't be used.

Yup, just watched it and that's EXACTLY what's happening. I guess we'll see what they get back with.
OK so next question, what would be a good battery in place of this? I'm just worried about this same thing happening again. Cold weather, western PA but I have the batteries in an insulated box. Seems like SOK is one of the better options. To the regular, non-heated Ampere Time batteries do this, from anyone's experience?

OK so next question, what would be a good battery in place of this? I'm just worried about this same thing happening again. Cold weather, western PA but I have the batteries in an insulated box. Seems like SOK is one of the better options.

Seem to be. Very few complaints on the forum.

To the regular, non-heated Ampere Time batteries do this, from anyone's experience?

Many posts of folks using AT batteries. I've never heard of this, so I would assume it's the heated version only.

Another option is to get a regular battery and create your own thermal solution with a heat mat and thermostat which will probably end up much cheaper than those heated batteries. Here's a 37 page thread about it. You can also check out this thread and decide for yourself what to set the temperature to. A little below freezing might be fine if the charge rates are low.

If you're looking for a cheap battery, Enjoybot now has a version with low-temperature protection. I have no experience with them, though. It's one I'm considering for my upgrade since support for the Weize batteries seem to be an issue.

Based on others' experience, SOK batteries are very good and now include bluetooth as well as versions that are heated if you really need the heated version. The 100ah heated version is not much more than the regular 100ah, but the 206ah is much more expensive than it's unheated counterpart.

I just pulled the batteries back from the site to isolate and troubleshoot. I made a video to better show whats going on.

I'm using a 13.6v power supply with those clamps. Both batteries are doing the same thing.

Something is probably wrong with the BMS on your battery. I had a brand new powerqueen do something similar

The cells in these batteries are usually good, but they cheap out on the BMSs
Just speculation, I suspect most of these batteries (brands) are made in the same factory

We'll, question: Was the battery 32F or under when you tried to charge in this video?
It may have been, but I tested again after warming back up and it did the same thing. Ampere time got back to me with a sassy comment about not doing what they are asking to troubleshoot when I brought up that last vid. Waiting on a variable DC supply now to complete testing, but ordered a SOK battery so i can get the site back up.

It may have been, but I tested again after warming back up and it did the same thing. Ampere time got back to me with a sassy comment about not doing what they are asking to troubleshoot when I brought up that last vid. Waiting on a variable DC supply now to complete testing, but ordered a SOK battery so i can get the site back up.

Could be possible the battery is drained, and entered low cell protection. Then you're trying to charge it, but it's too cold, so it's using the charge power to run the heater.

Have you left it on the charger for hour, or over? Seems like and hour should be long enough for the heaters to warm it back up, if the ambient temp allows.

Could be possible the battery is drained, and entered low cell protection. Then you're trying to charge it, but it's too cold, so it's using the charge power to run the heater.

Have you left it on the charger for hour, or over? Seems like and hour should be long enough for the heaters to warm it back up, if the ambient temp allows.
I think this issue the OP is having is the same issue that is shown in this youtube review of this battery that was highlighted above in post #23. I linked directly to the part where he describes the issue. The BMS disconnects the battery for a second whenever the charging current turns off. So yeah, I wouldn't buy one of these.

I think this issue the OP is having is the same issue that is shown in this youtube review of this battery that was highlighted above in post #23. I linked directly to the part where he describes the issue. The BMS disconnects the battery for a second whenever the charging current turns off. So yeah, I wouldn't buy one of these.

Ok, yeah I just watch the OP's video again, and I see where it comes back after a few seconds.

Yup that would be a problem if it's resetting his communications equipment.

So I finished out by charging the battery with a 14.6v power supply until the BMS cut off, which only took a couple seconds after all that charging I did with the noco battery charger. It's doing the exact same thing. I let their support know and they are offering an exchange or refund, which im taking the refund.

I already got a SOK 206ah battery with the heater and just installed that tonight, working great so far and doesn't do the same thing as the Ampere Time with the heaters. I imagine the only scenario where that's OK (only OK because it's never ideal) would be an RV where you are disconnecting the load often, or something like a microwave.

Edit: thanks everyone! Mainly for helping me realize im not totally insane ?
Couple pics of the site for those interested:
1671587385408.png

1671587406498.png

1671587415208.png

1671587438967.png
1671587449133.png

If you're looking for a cheap battery, Enjoybot now has a version with low-temperature protection. I have no experience with them, though. It's one I'm considering for my upgrade since support for the Weize batteries seem to be an issue.

Based on others' experience, SOK batteries are very good and now include bluetooth as well as versions that are heated if you really need the heated version. The 100ah heated version is not much more than the regular 100ah, but the 206ah is much more expensive than it's unheated counterpart.
I noticed Enjoybot has the new Plus version with low temperature protection advertised as a feature. Has anyone truly verified this? Remember when Will first reviewed them, they also had said they had low temp protection, but it wasn't true.

I noticed Enjoybot has the new Plus version with low temperature protection advertised as a feature. Has anyone truly verified this? Remember when Will first reviewed them, they also had said they had low temp protection, but it wasn't true.
I recently bought their 300AH version and I just discovered a serious problem with their BMS configuration. They claim that the BMS will shutoff charging at 0C (32F) while discharging is possible up to -20C, but read on.

We are experiencing a cold snap here in Colorado so the travel trailer I have the battery mounted to got to about -5C and the battery is not putting out any power. I emailed Enjoybot and they responded very quickly (they are very good!) and provided the following explanation:

"When the battery is in a static state (or not working), the temperature below 0 ℃ will trigger the low temperature protection of the battery. You will need to put the battery indoors and wait for the temperature to be higher than 0 to 5 degrees, then the battery will restore the voltage and work normally.
When the battery is in the discharge state (or working state), even if the temperature is lower than 0 ℃, the low temperature protection of the battery will not be triggered, and the battery can still work normally."

So clearly, the BMS will disconnect all current (charge or discharge) whenever the temperature drops under 0C. That is, except if you keep a continuous discharge which is totally impractical and unnecessary if they were to configure their BMS correctly.

Luckily I am still within the 90 days refund period so I might just send it back, or ask them to send one with a properly configured BMS but that might actually take a while. I suppose an alternative is to install a heater pad so that it never gets under 0C.

Back