diy solar

diy solar

Well Sh!t I just damaged my charge controller.

syclonedriver

I replaced the data cable on my old Tracer 40 amp MPPT charge controller and damaged the unit. I looked at the old and new cable wire configuration but I missed that the two center wires were transposed. I was experimenting with a bunch of old stuff I had laying around, but something chewed up my data cable. I decided to move everything inside the garage and make a more permanent install. I should have left it alone.

I've been waiting on a Growatt AiO 24/3000 to become available (they are back ordered) but that option is over a month away. Suggestion for an AiO or a reasonably priced MPPT controller?

so the reverse wires is something you did or did the USB cable come that way. It's scary if the cable came that way from the manufacturer.

I haven't connected my computer to my MPPT yet.

The cable in question is an RJ45, think LAN cable. Not all are strait through. I checked it before I plugged it in but I missed it. I am working with old equipment. The display is an MT5. It does still work with my 10 amp Tracer but the 40 is dead. It was totally my fault.

For now I have only 80 watts of panels feeding my 10 amp Tracer MPPT connected to 3 large AGM batteries. The batteries are connected to a 2000 watt inverter. The inverter was supplying a fridge and a freezer in my garage during the day, but not now. When I get a replacement controller I'll put the 400 watts of panels back online.

I'm thinking about a Victron 30 amp MPPT controller. It will be just enough for my 400 watts of panels. I have Victron Smart Shunt on my sailboat and I really like it. I wish Victron made an All in One.

The price has me "pumping the brakes". It costs 3 times what a Growatt costs! Does anyone have experience with Victron AiO units?

The cable in question is an RJ45, think LAN cable. Not all are strait through. I checked it before I plugged it in but I missed it. I am working with old equipment. The display is an MT5. It does still work with my 10 amp Tracer but the 40 is dead. It was totally my fault.

For now I have only 80 watts of panels feeding my 10 amp Tracer MPPT connected to 3 large AGM batteries. The batteries are connected to a 2000 watt inverter. The inverter was supplying a fridge and a freezer in my garage during the day, but not now. When I get a replacement controller I'll put the 400 watts of panels back online.

I'm thinking about a Victron 30 amp MPPT controller. It will be just enough for my 400 watts of panels. I have Victron Smart Shunt on my sailboat and I really like it. I wish Victron made an All in One.
Wrong wiring an RJ45 should not have fried anything. Perhaps your new cable is just bad?

I’m sure it’s a good unit , victron is in the same league as our back , magnum snider .
You get what you pay for with solar equipment .

Wrong wiring an RJ45 should not have fried anything. Perhaps your new cable is just bad?
The charge controller is definitely dead. But the MT5 display still works, on a different controller. I agree that it shouldn't have damaged the controller, but it did. I'll try it again tomorrow.

I was familiar with the Multiplus, would love to have one on my boat but I just don't need it, however the Easysolar unit is new to me.

For now I have only 80 watts of panels feeding my 10 amp Tracer MPPT connected to 3 large AGM batteries.
A pwm in the meantime is better than nothing. Tracer is best bet for MPPT imo.

If you want really cheap, there's this.

Although 30a Tracers are going for 90$

And 40a for 110$

A pwm in the meantime is better than nothing. Tracer is best bet for MPPT imo.

If you want really cheap, there's this.

Although 30a Tracers are going for 90$

And 40a for 110$
I found a 30 amp Victron for $110 *** correction $230 not 110***. Prices sure have come down in the last 5 years or so. I remember paying $210 for my 40 amp Tracer and it was old tech back then.

I'm not sure what I'm going to do at this point, probably lots more research.

Last edited:
Where the heck did you find that? Don't hold out on us!
I double checked that. The add was a little deceptive. It pictured a 30 and listed specs for a 30 but required you to select an option, then the price went to 230.

Sorry about that.

Back