diy solar

diy solar

What BMS is now recommended?

harpo

Good at many things, master of none
I might have missed something along the way and hopefully this forum can clear it up. I am looking for a 100A BMS with documented low temp. cut off. I know Will liked the Daly but last I saw their low temp system failed during his testing. My question is; what BMS with low temp cut off is now the standard for putting together a battery?

BTW: I have used both of the Chinese models without problem. I am considering the Chargery for a build but have not played with it yet.

I might have missed something along the way and hopefully this forum can clear it up. I am looking for a 100A BMS with documented low temp. cut off. I know Will liked the Daly but last I saw their low temp system failed during his testing. My question is; what BMS with low temp cut off is now the standard for putting together a battery?

Will's has switched out the Daly for the battery hookup BMS. Its has similar capabilities to the Daly, but also has Bluetooth and Low Temp cutoff. I think the Daly still deserves consideration for simpler builds. Its pretty basic and doesn't have low temp cutoff, but many people don't need that.

From basic to more advanced the BMS' that are getting attention and positive feedback around here are:
  1. Daly
  2. Battery Hookup BMS
  3. Chargery BMS
  4. SBMS0 / Electrodacus
The last option should probably only be considered if you know what you are getting, its fairly non-traditional as far as BMS' go, and more for advanced or adventurous users who have an idea what they are getting into.

Will's has switched out the Daly for the battery hookup BMS. Its has similar capabilities to the Daly, but also has Bluetooth and Low Temp cutoff. I think the Daly still deserves consideration for simpler builds. Its pretty basic and doesn't have low temp cutoff, but many people don't need that.

From basic to more advanced the BMS' that are getting attention and positive feedback around here are:
  1. Daly
  2. Battery Hookup BMS
  3. Chargery BMS
  4. SBMS0 / Electrodacus
The last option should probably only be considered if you know what you are getting, its fairly non-traditional as far as BMS' go, and more for advanced or adventurous users who have an idea what they are getting into.
What is this battery hookup BMS?

So with all of this in mind, which would you say would be the best affordablity/simplicity option if:
1) You did not need low temp cut-off
2) Use a 24v system
3) You want an LCD screen to monitor individual cells
4) Do not care about Bluetooth
5) Want a quick and easy setup?

Thanks for all the replies. I did see the recent video where Will used the Battery Hookup BMS but didn't know if perhaps Daly adjusted their manufacturing process and actually put a low temp cutoff in their unit instead of pretending to. Will seemed to really like the Daly prior to the test where he evaluated the "new" Daly with what was advertised as having a low temp cut off but, as we all know, it failed miserably. One has to wonder about this company now that they advertised something in regards to their product that was blatantly false. Makes me a bit leery. This is exactly why sites like Will's have to purchase the components to be tested rather than have a company send them a product. This is critical for the reliability of the test/review. So easy for a company to send an evaluator product that is not exactly "stock" so that the review will be a positive one. I believe Will found this out with one of the battery companies when they sent him a "modified" product that was more robust than what they were selling to the general public. When similar sites like Hobo Tech review products I am always concerned about the objectivity of the review due to the review either being sponsored by the company that makes the product and/or the company donating the product. To me, that decreases the objectivity factor even if the reviewer tries in fain to be objective.

I just looked at the Chargery BMS specifications. I saw OVER temp protection but did NOT see LOW temperature cut off protection. Please correct me if I missed something.

I just looked at the Chargery BMS specifications. I saw OVER temp protection but did NOT see LOW temperature cut off protection. Please correct me if I missed something.
UPDATE: According to Steve S. on this forum Chargery updated their BMS to have a low temp cutoff. Going to confirm now. Anyone able to confirm?

So with all of this in mind, which would you say would be the best affordablity/simplicity option if:
2) Use a 24v system

The Chargery has a screen. A lot of folks speak highly of the Chargery, but it's set-up is slightly more complicated with the external Charge/discharge relays.

You can get a screen for the Ant BMS: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Smart-Lifepo4-li-ion-Lipo-LTO-Battery-Protection-Board-BMS-48V-72V-Bluetooth-20S/192880341024 (This can also be found on Aliexpress) I have not heard much talk about the screen for the Ant BMS so I don't know how useful it is.

2) Use a 24v system
Chargery hands down

2) Use a 24v system

I just went through this decision and ended up on the Chargery. I believe I paid a small premium but get the LCD and individual cell monitoring which I wanted.

My cells arrived minutes ago and my Chargery should be here for the weekend and I should know more about your #5 then. My use is the 16t but if that’s easy the 8t should be the same.

I just went through this decision and ended up on the Chargery. I believe I paid a small premium but get the LCD and individual cell monitoring which I wanted.

My cells arrived minutes ago and my Chargery should be here for the weekend and I should know more about your #5 then. My use is the 16t but if that’s easy the 8t should be the same.
Do you have a quick link to the one you settled on?

He got it from me the 8T 300amp ones is $115.00 shipped. From my place in California. I bought a few to have here in the states for forum members.

What he said! :cool:

The link is in Craig's signature line.

2) Use a 24v system

Chargery is probably the closest match based on this list. Its not the cheapest or the simplest, but from what I've heard its not super difficult to configure, and the cost is reasonable for what you get. As everyone else has said, talk to @Craig and also read through @Steve_S megathread on the chargery in the BMS section.

He got it from me the 8T 300amp ones is $115.00 shipped. From my place in California. I bought a few to have here in the states for forum members.
Do the ones you have come with the relays and everything needed to hook it right up to a 24v battery?

I'm not seeing it.

Not sure on how much shipping would be to Ecuador though.

Daly doesn’t appear to really have the low temp cutoff. I went thru a long dialogue with them and their temp cutoff is for their internal bms, not battery temperature. Also, no Bluetooth.

diy solar

diy solar
Back