diy solar

diy solar

What happens if LifePo4 cells get wet?

riverbug

Having trouble getting real answer to this question. Nephew says that if a lithium cell gets wet it will immediately explode in flames. Not sure if that applies to lithium ion, LifePO4, both, or neither. Don't really want to test this myself. But I am interested in building my own packs for my 36V trolling motor and wondering if I can use wood boxes (sealed as best I can), or if I need to purchase poly boxes that can be glued closed or closed tightly with rubber gasket seals. How much danger is there in having LifePO4 cells in an environment that has potential to get wet? It would be in a protected but not waterproof storage area under a bench seat. Thanks.

There is no risk of a fire from exposing the cells to moisture ... it is, however, going to wreak havoc on all your connections.

I think a sealed off the shelf pack would be what you want in a marine environment.

There is no risk of a fire from exposing the cells to moisture ... it is, however, going to wreak havoc on all your connections.

I think a sealed off the shelf pack would be what you want in a marine environment.
Thanks. I have been looking at some off the shelf too. I'd prefer to build them myself just because it's a fun project. But have just watched some reviews on Li Time Trolling Motor Battery and at $254, it's hard to compete especially when adding the cost of those waterproof boxes if that also needs to be purchased. Thanks for answering the question though, I wondered why cells phones don't explode into flames when they are dropped in the water but I really couldn't find a direct answer regarding LifePO4 cells that I've been using in the RV.

Thanks. I have been looking at some off the shelf too. I'd prefer to build them myself just because it's a fun project. But have just watched some reviews on Li Time Trolling Motor Battery and at $254, it's hard to compete especially when adding the cost of those waterproof boxes if that also needs to be purchased. Thanks for answering the question though, I wondered why cells phones don't explode into flames when they are dropped in the water but I really couldn't find a direct answer regarding LifePO4 cells that I've been using in the RV.
There are several different chemistry of lithium batteries ..... the LiFePO4 chemistry is very safe compared to some of the early lithium batteries that were used in boats and caused fires.

Your nephew thinks he's chemist but doesn't understand.

Pure lithium metal, along with other alkali metals (Li, Na, K, Rb, Cs, and Fr) react somewhat explosively with water.
However, the lithium in a battery isn't pure and isn't on the outside.

Your nephew is 100% wrong about exploding.

But he's 100% right at the end of the day because you should do everything you can (within reason) to keep the batteries dry.

Here's Will Prowse putting a lithium cell in a bucket full of water... But that's after he drilled a hole in the cell and it caught fire.

Pyrophoric materials have the potential to spontaneously ignite upon exposure to the oxygen in air.
Lithium is a pyrophoric material.

Lithium is not = Lithium Iron Phosphate.

Pyrophoric materials have the potential to spontaneously ignite upon exposure to the oxygen in air.
Lithium is a pyrophoric material.

Lithium is not = Lithium Iron Phosphate.
After your post I started researching as it didn't really make sense to me. I came across this article and there was a very interesting statement..."no lithium remains in fully charged cells, making them highly resistant during oxygen loss compared to the exothermic reactions typical of other lithium cells". I don't claim to understand all of it but interesting. Thanks for bringing up the topic.

You brought up the topic. Isn't your application what a sealed marine battery is for? I would use a marine grade LiFePo battery in a boat without hesitation.

The hazard of these batteries is not just in the chemical makeup of the batteries but also the construction. I would never have a Lithium Ion or Lithium Polymer battery in my house (at least not for solar). But LiFePo batteries are (I hope) completely (or almost completely) safe to use. Look on the internet for Lithium Ion Battery fires, they are all over the place. I don't think there are any on exploding or burning Lifepo batteries. Of course, electricity can start a fire regardless.

You brought up the topic. Isn't your application what a sealed marine battery is for? I would use a marine grade LiFePo battery in a boat without hesitation.
Maybe I'm missing your point. Yep, I brought up the topic to get answers. I got answers and decided that for marine application it makes more sense for me to purchase sealed marine batteries rather than build my own marine packs. I enjoyed building the packs for my RV but those are in an enclosed/dry compartment. All good. Thanks.

Back