diy solar

diy solar

What I'd Like to say to the Inspector

garetwo

So often I have had to keep my thought(s) to myself, especially when dealing with an electrically ignorant inspector. I just saw another post in here commenting on it, then thought, "I bet there are a few stories floating around"... After 40 years of electrical contracting I do have a few. The worst are with those who feel they are like a god on the jobsite. It's always been, "do I set him/her straight or just eat it so I can work here again?" Anyone remember Saturday night live and "Jane, you ignorant..."?

So, in harmony with what I would like to say (but never did) - I would liked to have, at times, started off with the Saturday night spiel. Maybe YIS can be a new term on jobsites.

I should say I have also LEARNED a TON from many awesome inspectors.

Last edited:
Inspector who did my parents' old house when they were selling it (old 60s house with 2 wire no ground wiring) gave them all kinds of grief over the ungrounded GFCI in the bathroom. He said that GFCIs had to be grounded or they don't work right.

He did NOT like being told he was wrong.

A few other dumb things he saidd I think really made the buyers wish they didn't even bother with him.

I had to match the breaker size to the actual load of every refrigerator and corded appliance in the kitchen.

The inspector was confused ahy none of the appliances listed max breaker...

I cannot type on this forum what I WANTED to say to him...

Yeah... that guy was in his 80's and he held up the resturant open a month with his stupidity.
Forced them to replace the hood because he couldnt understand how a vfd worked...
Idiots should not have such power. There's got to be other inspectors or 'over his head' means.

I'm not licensed, but I have spent most my life working with my dad (off and on)who is a master.

Around here you can self wire if you pull permits yourself as the homeowner.

Dad always told me to leave something for the inspector to key onto that's obvious and have a really technical question referring to a specific code section. It's always worked for me, but your milage may vary.

I'm not licensed, but I have spent most my life working with my dad (off and on)who is a master.

Around here you can self wire if you pull permits yourself as the homeowner.

Dad always told me to leave something for the inspector to key onto that's obvious and have a really technical question referring to a specific code section. It's always worked for me, but your milage may vary.
So true, like leaving something a little undone and saying "I was having a tough time here on how to do this and was hoping you could..."

There are some inspectors that don't feel like they have done their job, unless they find something to flag. Whenever I am in their area. I always leave something obvious for them to see. That is a 5 minute correction for me.

….And I wanted to say thank you for pointing out my 125 amp breaker was wired with 8 AWG wire.

There are some inspectors that don't feel like they have done their job, unless they find something to flag. Whenever I am in their area. I always leave something obvious for them to see. That is a 5 minute correction for me.
Most inspectors are familiar with my work, they know where to look, and know im up on all the codes...

This guy did not fit into that box.

Most inspectors are familiar with my work, they know where to look, and know im up on all the codes...

This guy did not fit into that box.
Same here. It's an area that I rarely worked in. And even more rarely needed an inspection. In fact, since I started my own company. I don't have any customers in that area. So, it's no longer an issue.

Inspectors around here don't have much power anymore other than enforcement of the architecture/engineering prints. Don't get me wrong they can still shut you down but the municipality doesn't want the liability anymore.

Inspectors around here don't have much power anymore other than enforcement of the architecture/engineering prints. Don't get me wrong they can still shut you down but the municipality doesn't want the liability anymore.
I never thought of that. San Francisco inspectors...they even used to tell me they need certain things for their home...sheesh...I guess times change!

Back