diy solar

diy solar

What is so hard to understand about Do laundry during the day!!

Our policy since the very first inverter setup was WE WILL NEVER DO WITHOUT from the solar stuff.

This was tad tricky before the invention of hybrid inverters since it required playing the reliant transfer panel like a piano to keep things running on solar when possible.

After getting the hybrid inverter it's a no brainer. Whatever the solar panels can shave off they shave off. What they can't provided it draws from the grid.

Solar is nice and all but we flat out live by WE WILL NEVER DO WITHOUT because of the solar stuff.

The wife and I had watched tv shows and visited people running on solar and seeing how they tailored their entire lives around what power they had available. Doing without a good bit of the time and being limited on when they could use power for different things.

We found this to be stupid in our opinion thus the reason for the motto :)

She is interested in an indoor system to hang clothes to dry.

You mean, something like this?

619xCDO+A6L._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Driers (the machine kind) are not too common here to begin with compared to washing machines. That said, I went with a heat pump drier as well and it's awesome.

You mean, something like this?

619xCDO+A6L._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Driers (the machine kind) are not too common here to begin with compared to washing machines. That said, I went with a heat pump drier as well and it's awesome.
Not sure yet. Maybe an umbrella ( we have a spare room it would fit in ), or a pully system.

Your wife is right, solar doesn't work. At least not all the time. It's not worth the cost to buy more panels and batteries. I wouldn't have solar if I didn't have grid to supplement or in case there is cloud cover.

Good rant.

Can't this be solved with an extra battery or two and some meditation?

- At some point the infrastructure needs to serve the people, not the other way around.
- At some point I found it helpful to recognize and enjoy (or at least not be annoyed) the embedded traits in my family members.
- My spouse washes clothes too frequently. She doesn't do dishes as often as I'd prefer so that's become my task. She splits and stacks far more than her share of the firewood. She thinks about food needs well before the 45 mile grocery run so I'm not eating sardines all day.
- She tolerates me spending too much time on the internets.

Buy her a battery for Valentine's Day. ;)
We bought 270KWh of batteries
I think that’s enough.
We have a 30kw array and that’s not enough to charge it in the winter.
I would have to cover my yard in panels to charge it up in the winter.

Spring , Summer, Fall. no issue. Do all the laundry you want whenever you want.

Surely we can compromise to do laundry once a week in the winter when there is only 2 of us now.

Your wife is right, solar doesn't work. At least not all the time. It's not worth the cost to buy more panels and batteries. I wouldn't have solar if I didn't have grid to supplement or in case there is cloud cover.
I’m not giving the POCOs another dime if I can help it..

I think i got you all beat, my exwife used to take the lint from the dryer, pull the screen and stuff the lint in the hole. Then she would stuff the screen in on top of the lint. This resulted in huge fights but it was the same as talking to a wall. She eventually caught that dryer on fire and i had to get a new one.
She tried the same crap but this dryer had a differential switch in it that shut it down for plugged discharge. Hah, my dryer was smarter than her. She had no choice but to dig out what she jammed in.
1704504882138.png

All my problems left in a single day and the new girlfriend has no issues following the rules regarding solar use of the dryer. As a matter of fact. She is always asking first before using a lot of hot water or laundry washing.

I still hope all of our laundry issues will go away with the ge all in one heat pump dryer/washer. At least I hope it will.

Last edited:
The LG washing machine I have spins clothes so dry they basically come out barely damp. They dry in about 25 minutes in the dryer or just in the open air.

You could always put a timer on your washer/dryer so they only work during certain times.

Only the Swedes do that. Here in Finland we dry our clothes inside on a rack (like pictured in my post above) in winter: helps increase the humidity levels.
When I visited friends in Poland about 8 years ago, they all had those racks too. Along with very small clothes washers, at least compared to the average size in the US.

I swear my wife is bored or looking for ways to say “ See this Solar doesn’t work”.

How many times now have I asked “Can you please do the laundry once a week during the day?”
Nah every night.
Pair of socks dirty. Do laundry.
Rug got a leaf on it.
Do the laundry.
Washcloth dirty
Do the laundry.

This runs the well pump, the water heater and not to mention a Dryer.

Am I the only one who has this issue?

It’s no wonder I dont have any hair left..

This seems like a good place for a stickup...

REPOST:

When I visited friends in Poland about 8 years ago, they all had those racks too. Along with very small clothes washers, at least compared to the average size in the US.

I actually meant that as a joke: the picture was of a women (she's Swedish. Jonna Jinton) putting clothes to dry in a meter of snow.

Average size in the US is huge in the rest of the world.

I was showing this thread to my wife. Every time someone wrote about saving energy by disconnecting the dishwasher etc… she would ask “who’s energy?”

I made a plug-in charger/battery/inverter box. Charges during the day from the grid-tied solar specifically during strong sunlight hours (9am-3pm). Runs on battery power through the night. Currently only running my desktop computer. I used a dc-dc buck to run the inverter & charger fans constantly on 6.5v so the fan noise wouldn't bother my wife.

@Nobodybusiness you could do a similar thing for the washing machine, this calls for a project :)

Back