diy solar

diy solar

What is the best combination for diy battery protection, class T fuse/battery disconnect/dc beaker?

The same busbars you connect each cell with can be connected to the ends of a T class fuse. I just bent the bus bar at about a 45° angle. Use proper size bolts with washers/lock washers. My 2000 pound battery sets in a power shed. I am the only one in there. Ever. Once the T class fuse blows and I have blown one. It just sits there, you hear a little pop, that’s it. Even if it did blow apart the two busbars are not gonna come together. The main reason I put it between cells eight and nine are now you have 2 24 V batteries instead of 1 48 V battery. Then I have a bigger class T fuse and another bigger circuit breaker going to my inverters, along with a 350A shunt on the negative. It’s your money, your battery, your PowerShed, and your house. Build it as you wish.
What is the advantage of having the T class fuse in the middle? Almost all EV battery packs have a disconnect 'plug' in the middle, not even a fuse. You then break 400V into 2x 200V, which makes more sense then 24V, as 48V is also considered as safe?

What is the advantage of having the T class fuse in the middle? Almost all EV battery packs have a disconnect 'plug' in the middle, not even a fuse. You then break 400V into 2x 200V, which makes more sense then 24V, as 48V is also considered as safe?
Drop a wrench across cells 4 and 12 and you’ll see my class t fuse blow. Drop one in the same place with a class t on pack positive cable and see July 4th.

The same busbars you connect each cell with can be connected to the ends of a T class fuse. I just bent the bus bar at about a 45° angle. Use proper size bolts with washers/lock washers. My 2000 pound battery sets in a power shed. I am the only one in there. Ever. Once the T class fuse blows and I have blown one. It just sits there, you hear a little pop, that’s it. Even if it did blow apart the two busbars are not gonna come together. The main reason I put it between cells eight and nine are now you have 2 24 V batteries instead of 1 48 V battery. Then I have a bigger class T fuse and another bigger circuit breaker going to my inverters, along with a 350A shunt on the negative. It’s your money, your battery, your PowerShed, and your house. Build it as you wish.
200+ kilowatt hours of LFP DIY. I have dp circuit breakers on every battery, oversized wiring, T-class fuse between cells eight and nine and used busbars to connect them. All batteries surrounded with quarter inch ceramic fiber matting to contain heat in case of one bad cell. All areas of PowerShed near electrical equipment or batteries covered in 5/16” concrete board. Nothing on either my home or shop solar are within 90 feet of the house. DIY CO2 and halon fire extinguishing system. Interconnected smoke alarms with one in the MBR. ?
Drop a wrench across cells 4 and 12 and you’ll see my class t fuse blow. Drop one in the same place with a class t on pack positive cable and see July 4th.
I'm a huge fan of your described setup.

I am currently top balancing 128 - 304 AH EVE cells with plans for 8 - 16s 48V DIY packs, overkill BMS to main buses then to two grid tied parallel solark 15 kpv units, 28 kw of PV on the roof in the next few months. planning to run 2/0 AWG cables to main buses and then 4/0 from main buses to inverters. I feel very safe top balancing in parallel, before I put them in series I want to have the whole plan laid out.

Are you a fan of using littelfuse, bluesea for the T class?

I would love some product recs. Just looking for high quality fuses and high quality DC breakers.

Thinking of these DC breakers for each battery:

Thinking of these fuses for each battery between cells 8 and 9:

What breaker are you using to inverter?
Will this work?

Every time I read about a solar shed, I think to myself, damn, I should just build one right outside near my meter and breathe comfortably at night.

Can you expound more on the fire safety part? I have dually noted the ceramic fiber cloth and kapton tape ideas

You mention CO2 DIY extinguishers

I am trying to be as careful as possible.

Would rather err on too much money spent on safety equipment that I will never use/need.

As you said, it is your own a$$ on the line.

I have been using a TEMCO table about wire size and max amps to make sure my wires are bigger than needed.
Wire size and max amps.jpg
I have read lots of posts about getting properly sized T class fuse and a breaker rated to an AIC of 20,000

Can you also tell me about the 350A shunt you are using. Would appreciate any recs there too. Still lots to learn but want to get learn as much as I can before completing batteries and starting build.

p
Every time I read about a solar shed, I think to myself, damn, I should just build one right outside near my meter and breathe comfortably at night.
With the amount of battery your going to have unless you have a spare bedroom or something similar that you don’t need I would definitely recommend a new shed also the safety factor as another reason, I would go with something at least 10x12 I went 6x9 and wished I had went bigger because a work bench and a mini fridge is mandatory in a solar man cave (shed) and you will have a clean room for future builds

Back