diy solar

diy solar

What is the logic in a 2400W output solar generator… with a 1500Wh battery?

Supervstech

Administrator
Staff member
I mean… with enough solar, I suppose one could power a 2400W load for some time, but if you need that much wattage a 1500Wh battery isn’t going to be very helpful after dark…

And a 2400W capability would allow a microwave to start, to cook a small meal in a few minutes…

1500Wh battery keeps the SG lighter for portability, but you need to setup a huge solar array to run it for very long…

Idk, maybe if they provided an easy way to attach another 1500Wh battery? It just seems counterintuitive to me.

The price is decent at 799 but runtime under load kills it for me.

Microwave, coffee pot, electric chain saw, tailgating. Which unit are you refering to? Most of the 2400 watt solar generators are 2048wh but cost a lot more than $799.

It depends I guess, if it can have another battery "module" attached to it then it would be more sensible. The other side of it, is it maybe to be able to support start surges so you can actually run a fridge or AC or something with a heavy startup ?

Microwave, coffee pot, electric chain saw, tailgating. Which unit are you refering to? Most of the 2400 watt solar generators are 2048wh but cost a lot more than $799.
DC08A9AC-9587-4A7A-BD7A-FBEA395E2C1F.png
I mean, sure, it’s a refurb at that price, but still… 900Wh less than the watts output seems a bad decision to me…

No doubt it is a bad decision. It was probably a marketing decision based on getting to a price point. Sadly many people will be fooled.

No doubt it is a bad decision. It was probably a marketing decision based on getting to a price point. Sadly many people will be fooled.
I do like that it uses LFP cells, but only 31lbs… and it has onboard mppt, and ac charging… not quite sure how it can do all that and be so light…

In the ad images for it, it claims it can run a 1000W coffee maker for 2 hours… um… I can only assume it means while connected to solar… cause if a 1500Wh battery can power 1000 W for 2 hours… Lucy has some ‘splanin to do…

Good for tailgating, various small stuff. Recharging phones would be handy, but of course portable USB battery better for that.
The socket for RV power cord, though ... think maybe it'll run the A/C?

In the ad images for it, it claims it can run a 1000W coffee maker for 2 hours… um… I can only assume it means while connected to solar… cause if a 1500Wh battery can power 1000 W for 2 hours… Lucy has some ‘splanin to do…

Like most loads, there is an on/off duty ratio.
The coffee is brewed in 5 minutes, then warmer cycles on/off to keep carafe hot while the coffee gradually turns into "cop coffee".

Who was it that said better to spend money on energy efficiency?

1686321127154.png

Good for tailgating, various small stuff. Recharging phones would be handy, but of course portable USB battery better for that.
The socket for RV power cord, though ... think maybe it'll run the A/C?

Like most loads, there is an on/off duty ratio.
The coffee is brewed in 5 minutes, then warmer cycles on/off to keep carafe hot while the coffee gradually turns into "cop coffee".

Who was it that said better to spend money on energy efficiency?

View attachment 152317
Sure, true… as to the ac, it all depends on the startup surge… the unit will surge only to 4000W, and likely for only a few milliseconds. So, if equipped with a soft start, maybe? But it won’t run it for long with 650Solar max input, and a 1500Wh storage…

Sure, true… as to the ac, it all depends on the startup surge… the unit will surge only to 4000W, and likely for only a few milliseconds. So, if equipped with a soft start, maybe? But it won’t run it for long with 650Solar max input, and a 1500Wh storage…

Unless I had a specific use in mind, I'd avoid this unit for a variety of reasons and stick with a brand that will likely be around for the length of the warranty.

on a side note, I keep forgetting you are in NC. I'm currently in Greenville, NC but we are building in Ashe county soon so I'll be closer to your neck of the woods.

AllPowers have certainly been around in the power station marketplace for some time. But there have been notable concerns regarding the quality of their products and customer service. A majority of their units, including the Monster series, have proven unreliable and known to have multiple issues. I have briefly highlighted some of these on my YouTube channel. Best to avoid them until they demonstrate improvement.

The Bluetti AC180 goes on initial sale tomorrow, for $799. 1800 watt inverter, but only 1152wh battery. But it weighs 35lbs, so a very handy weight. I can see this being very useful for camping and around my farm for remote power tools.

The Bluetti AC180 goes on initial sale tomorrow, for $799. 1800 watt inverter, but only 1152wh battery. But it weighs 35lbs, so a very handy weight. I can see this being very useful for camping and around my farm for remote power tools.
I've been trying to decide between the ac180 and the Delta 2, currently also at $799. Advantage of the Delta 2 is it supports an extended battery (1 or 2kWh). But I've read reviews that it will spin up it's fans for anything over say 180W output. Not sure what the sound levels are like with the ac180 when discharging.

I mean… with enough solar, I suppose one could power a 2400W load for some time, but if you need that much wattage a 1500Wh battery isn’t going to be very helpful after dark…

And a 2400W capability would allow a microwave to start, to cook a small meal in a few minutes…

1500Wh battery keeps the SG lighter for portability, but you need to setup a huge solar array to run it for very long…

Idk, maybe if they provided an easy way to attach another 1500Wh battery? It just seems counterintuitive to me.

I agree - it is a huge technical mistake.....

As a practical matter - people who do reviews of power stations have shamed the companies that build them into this situation by promoting "smallest / lightest / cheapest" instead of "most practical."

I build power systems based on a different ratio - roughly 2 kW-hrs of usable battery capacity for each 1 kW of inverter rating.

But from a commercial / business view point - I am wrong......

What the PPS setups do instead is to get buyers pulled in with the initial purchase, and then keep adding on options such as more solar, more battery modules, etc.

I guess another way to look at it:
- A single battle born battery with ~ 1 kW-hr usable capacity cost that much.
- A really good quality 2 000 watt inverter costs nearly 2x that much, a medium quality one cost about what they sell the whole unit for
- So maybe for the price it is literally being dumped on the market to wipe out local competition?

Maybe it is really a good quality 1 kW inverter stretched into a 2 kW spec so call it a good way to have coffee, breakfast out of the microwave, and keep the devices charged.

Putting a bunch of 120 vac outlets on a box doesn't make it any more powerful than if it had one or two.

Back