diy solar

diy solar

What REALLY requires a pure sine inverter?

Pedestal fans don't like msw inverters. They make a strange buzzing sound.
Yes, they belong to the category asynchronous motors that, together with functional plugs (radio controlled and WiFi switches, power meters, programmers etc..., small appliances with electronic timers are fed by a capacitive voltage reducer, that don't like MSW.
Do you have more pictures of the inside of that box? I'm working on something similar and would love some ideas!
1620977383955.png
That is just a quick shot just to fit the purpose, soldering the fuses., still need to include a fan to use the full range of the boost converters.

Last edited:
Speaking from personal experience, audio equipment of all sorts require pure sine wave. It will work on modified sine wave but the resulting buzz, hum and other extraneous noise make it impossible to enjoy. Guitar amplifiers, stereo equipment, etc. For this reason I use a 12 volt radio, a 12 volt guitar amp and have a pure sine wave inverter to run the 120 volt AC stereo equipment. I don’t have a TV and use portable devices for computers, laptops, iPads and iPhone. Modified sine wave works fine for toasters and most small appliances. Some light dimmer switches won’t work with modified sine wave as well. My wife’s sewing machine will work with modified sine wave but works better on pure sine wave. Some of the very elaborate computer controlled and expensive sewing machines should probably be used only with pure sine wave as well,
but I don’t have direct evidence for that and wouldn’t want to risk several thousand $$ or more trying to prove or disprove it.
Oh yes, of course phase control dimmers will obviously not work.
Old small appliances will work, those with electronic timers being fed with capacitor voltage reducers are very likely to be oveloaded.

Back