diy solar

diy solar

What's the latest opinions on cell compression.

bds70

In the RV situation what is the latest opinions on compression? I am building 4 x 12v 280AH batteries, each of which will be enclosed in its own box, to minimise dust Ingress etc. But the boxes would not necessarily be compressing the cells, unless I design them that way. Most of the stuff I have read is 2 plus years old, so things may have changed.
Any thoughts anyone?

I don’t think anything has changed.
Discharge the cells down to about 10% SOC then fixate them in place with your clamping system. Don’t compress them just snug them in with a slight bit of pressure.
This will prevent them from bulging when you charge them back up.

Seems like compliant foam is the way to go these days. Compensates for the non uniformity of the cell faces, versus say fr4 insulating sheet which may create hotspots of pressure under compression? I’m planning on using poron

still the same info.

eve to my knowledge still state 280kgf.

after months of going down the rabbit hole i settled on tightening them LITERALLY just enough to hold the cells. cells arrive 30/40 percent charged this is when i done it.

still the same info.

eve to my knowledge still state 280kgf.

after months of going down the rabbit hole i settled on tightening them LITERALLY just enough to hold the cells. cells arrive 30/40 percent charged this is when i done it.
I would compress them at the level they were shipped with. Dropping them down to 10% then compressing could cause an over compression situation at full charge?

Reading the Cell specifications and test data, this was mentioned for clamping "initial
clamping force of 3000N
(± 200N), 15mm
aluminium sheet"

How does one convert Newton's to to pound/foot?

Wy ??
If i see this i ask my self wy ?

And

Just finished watching one of those, I think I have my answer. I shall build a "support" fixture because my batteries are stored in an external locker under the floor of my bus, so they need to be restrained from movement, and they will simply be contained rather than compressed per sa.
My next issue is deciding how to protect the BMS from dust without running the risk of overheating it.

Any suggestions?

diy solar

diy solar
Back