diy solar

diy solar

Wheeling my solar array out of my garage every day

Hmm, on second thought, I might like the trailer idea better.
I have no illusions about the cost efficacy of this project.
Sounds like you do.

But a solid 7 to 14 Klw of charge would be worth the effort,
7-15kwh out of a 1000w of panels (in a day) is an impossibility.

However I look forward to the update photos of the progress of this hypothical project. Please include your final budget as well as real world output numbers.

I think you need a larger trailer 4.5 wide and 8 ‘ long
my trailer is 5’x10’ you don’t want it blowing away

This one from Harbor Freight will work nicely. It comes with mounting backets where I could attach the super superstructure for the panels.

Four of these bifacials would give me 1500 watts:

At 6.5 foot long, I would need to tilt them at a 40 degree angle to get a 5 foot length wise measurement to fit the garage parking spot. 40 degrees is not the best angle for the summer. A tilting mechanism to allow them to be lowered might be too complicated, but could be considered for the summer.

Two panels would be mounted in front of the axle, and two panels would be mounted behind the axle. They would use an unfolding mechanism similar to the video.

Hmm, I guess solar panels like to be between 5 and 7 feet long, except for the high end square panels.

I don't see any possible configuration of 100 or 200 watt panels on a 5 x 8 foot area that would equal the 1500 watts produced by the 4 380 watt bifacials. Only putting a series of those smallish, high end 200 watt panels in that area might be equal.

Please include your final budget as well as real world output numbers.

Hmm, being a complete solar newbie, I've discovered why the large 400W panels are only used on the "big" systems that feature the large $1500 inverters: only those inverters can handle the voltage and amps created by the big panels. I found that I'd need to invest in a big mppt/inverter for anything more than 3 400W panels.

This must be common knowledge to anyone other than myself who before yesterday knew anything about solar power. :)

My budget:

Bluetti AC200 Max: $1800.
3 440 Watt Panels: $860.
1 low trailer from Harbor Freight: $500.
Custom built steel or aluminum frame for holding the panels: $200.
Cabling and MP4 adapters: $50.
Mounting hardware: $50.

Total budget: $3460.

That's it. No money spent on tools. No money spent on fuses, crimpers and cable strippers, etc.

The panels are here:

This would be an overpaneled system as the AC200 Max accepts 900 Watts of solar.

My other option is to go for the dual mppt controllers on the AC300, which would allow for using 4 440 Watt panels, but that's a $2000 additional investment for more power, but the prospect of mounting the 4 panels to the trailer might be too much work.

As always: keep it simple stupid.

Also, the goal here is to have fun with this system and use the AC200Max for camping and backup power supply. The AC300 is too large for camping.

The solar panels come back into the garage during the winter, and during wind and hail storms, etc. Think how much longer these panels will survive. :)

I'm keeping this system as simple as possible. I'm not building a DIY system. My plan is to experiment and have fun. I'm planning on selling my home anyway because it's too big for me, and buying a different house that allows installing solar in my yard or on the roof. At that point I would then build a neat DIY system and use the experience gained from this "build it for fun" project.

Last edited:
I don't think anyone pointed out out yet but keep in mind rated power and actual power are usually very different.

If you have them decently angled you may get a bit over 4x the rated power in kwh per sunny day.

The reason for this is complicated but you can't assume that 1000w = 1000w "as long as it's in the sun" and so despite the fact that you may have sun from 7am to 8 pm you certainly will not get much output for most of the morning and evening hours.

Especially compared to perfectly perpendicular (to the sun) placement of panels and the least amount of atmosphere for the light to travel through (solar noon).

The reason for this is complicated but you can't assume that 1000w = 1000w "as long as it's in the sun" and so despite the fact that you may have sun from 7am to 8 pm you certainly will not get much output for most of the morning and evening hours.

On the trailer, I would only have room at the most for 3 440 watt panels. It's an over paneled system using a 900 watt mppt controller. I live in a super sunny area of the country.

Looking around for panels on craiglist: there are a few 300 watt panels (which claim to be new) I can get for $150. I'm not seeing any 400 watt panels. Sadly, I would have to buy bulk (10 panels or more) using the link that I posted above for those 440 watt panels.

I estimate 5 Klw of power into my electric vehicle every day from this array. That equates to 15 miles of driving. I rarely drive more than 15 miles every day during these covid times. I work from home.

Sounds like you got it understood then.

There was just a lot of talk of 7-14kwh lol

Sounds like you do.

7-15kwh out of a 1000w of panels (in a day) is an impossibility.

However I look forward to the update photos of the progress of this hypothical project. Please include your final budget as well as real world output numbers.
Agreed on the output and on the desire for updates. My 2k array provided 12 on its best day. Yesterday it gave me 2

I put mine right in the landscaping....There is wood chips around it. I use an APsystems QS1 4 channel micro inverter for the 4 panels.

solar.jpg

I have 4500 watts a I can get 3750 watts for a hour or so Around noon then less before and after.
I’m in NY so in DEC I can get 2000 watts in the middle of the day
my panels are at 42 o so a little flat for DEC .
I charge up fast until a week before thanks giving, after that it’s like some one turned off the sun☹️
It gets noticeably brighter at the end of january And by the second week of February I’m getting good sun ,
but then there is snow every night

I have 4500 watts a I can get 3750 watts for a hour or so Around noon then less before and after.
I’m in NY so in DEC I can get 2000 watts in the middle of the day
my panels are at 42 o so a little flat for DEC .
I charge up fast until a week before thanks giving, after that it’s like some one turned off the sun☹️
It gets noticeably brighter at the end of january And by the second week of February I’m getting good sun ,
but then there is snow every night
I just started playing “chase the watts” in May. I am in SE PA so get a bit more than you. I’m also able to play the angles though I am doing it by experimentation then research, and I don’t really measure the angle so while someone knows how close I am to optimum, it ain’t me. But I am having fun

I’m in a bad area allso , we get terrible weather.
the thing is the angel changes all year , in June the sun is over head
in DEC the sun is low in the sky just coming over my trees .
If you place a square on your panel you need to have no shadow at noon so you can I aim at the sun every day or week may be
if you mark your bracket buy date , you can adjust to the sun just looking at it .
I’m sure monthly marks would be ok you could maybe just aim the panels in nov, DEC, Jan ?
I get 4.5 sun hours in June and about 2.5 in December ☹️ Not to good .
On a sunny day in DEC I mite get 5000 watts but I use around 3500 4000 a day .
But we don’t get many good days so I just run the honda for a 11/2 hours or so in the morning

Your micro inverter is connected to an AC box?

Is that off grid?

Do you have a battery for storing the power?
It is plugged into a 240VAC outlet. The Micro Inverters put out 240VAC two wire. Easy to put a cord end on the model I used.

It is plugged into a 240VAC outlet. The Micro Inverters put out 240VAC two wire. Easy to put a cord end on the model I used.
You’re the first person I have seen use these so pardon the questions, but Do you also have an auto transformer to generate 120 volts? Do you have storage batteries

You’re the first person I have seen use these so pardon the questions, but Do you also have an auto transformer to generate 120 volts? Do you have storage batteries

Yes, that's my question too. There must be some type of step down transformer or plug you can use. I would want to use my 110V 700 watt 6 amp trickle charger on my car.

He must have his electric vehicle wired directly to the 240 VAC for charging.

What happens if lightning hits the solar panels?

I don't know if the APsystems QS1 4 protects against that.

Could that fry your car?

Yes, that's my question too. There must be some type of step down transformer or plug you can use. I would want to use my 110V 700 watt 6 amp trickle charger on my car.

He must have his electric vehicle wired directly to the 240 VAC for charging.

What happens if lightning hits the solar panels?

I don't know if the APsystems QS1 4 protects against that.

Could that fry your car?
I will take the lightning one: they get blown to hell. Nothing beats lightning

you’re right he could only have 240 volt loads on the system. Interested in finding out

I will take the lightning one: they get blown to hell. Nothing beats lightning

you’re right he could only have 240 volt loads on the system. Interested in finding out

With the four panels and the APsystems QS1 4, you would still only get 1200 watts max out the 240 VAC. I don't think that's enough for even most Level 2 chargers which push way more watts than that.

This would be an overpaneled system as the AC200 Max accepts 900 Watts of solar.

My other option is to go for the dual mppt controllers on the AC300, which would allow for using 4 440 Watt panels, but that's a $2000 additional investment for more power,

You can use this for additional 500w input through the ac charger port - i plan to overpanel mine with 2x350w in parallel

I am grid tied so the neutral is bonded/ connected in the main breaker box so the transformer at the street does the balancing of the voltage like the auto transformer does...

Enphase are the same as these and don't have a neutral wire to even to connect coming out of the inverter.

I'm keeping this system as simple as possible. I'm not building a DIY system. My plan is to experiment and have fun. I'm planning on selling my home anyway because it's too big for me, and buying a different house that allows installing solar in my yard or on the roof. At that point I would then build a neat DIY system and use the experience gained from this "build it for fun" project.

if you've got it on a trailer, take it with you ?

if you're just fooling around, you can learn everything while building a small setup for a lot less dough

Back