diy solar

diy solar

Will an undersized garage power feed plus an off grid inverter power a bigger load?

woodythegr8

Here is my issue. I have a detached garage that solar was installed on years ago. My issue is the solar company didn't install a 100amp service as they were supposed to, it only has a 30 amp main breaker. This is not enough power to run things like a dust collector (3HP motor) and table saw at the same time. As it will be very expensive to have a new feed wire run to the garage, and I have plenty or unused room on the flat roof for more solar, I was considering an off grid system to power the garage and charge my car. Based on what I have read, two - EG4 6000XPs and a couple batteries would support the load. My question is: Where I have a 30 amp feed that I can also bring into the off grid inverter, will a single inverter likely be enough when combined with the existing feed? Or does "Passthrough" just mean if external power is available it uses just that?

Depends on the inverter. Some can supplement inverter output with grid input (mix them together to power a load larger than the inverter can do). Others simply pass through, which means exactly as it sounds - no inverter use, just passes whatever grid connection it has through to the load.

Here is my issue. I have a detached garage that solar was installed on years ago. My issue is the solar company didn't install a 100amp service as they were supposed to, it only has a 30 amp main breaker. This is not enough power to run things like a dust collector (3HP motor) and table saw at the same time. As it will be very expensive to have a new feed wire run to the garage, and I have plenty or unused room on the flat roof for more solar, I was considering an off grid system to power the garage and charge my car. Based on what I have read, two - EG4 6000XPs and a couple batteries would support the load. My question is: Where I have a 30 amp feed that I can also bring into the off grid inverter, will a single inverter likely be enough when combined with the existing feed? Or does "Passthrough" just mean if external power is available it uses just that?
A Victron multiplus or Quattro will do what you are looking for with their power assist function

Yes, passthrough with an off-grid inverter means exactly that. Either utility power is passing through OR the Inverter is producing power from the batteries and solar but not both at the same time.

Something like a Sol-Ark or Schnider inverter, both are UL1741SB compliant, will sync to the grid and can blend power. For example a Schneider XW Pro has a peak load shave feature where utility current could be limited to 24A and the inverter would supply the remainder up to the limit of the inverter.

Thanks for the help, I read more about the MultiPlus 120x2 and it seems like the version that supports 120/240 in the single unit would be perfect!
No that 120x2 doesn't do what you are thinking. It's designed for RVs using 30A/50A connections. It can pass thru 240V however without grid/generator input it will supply 120V to both legs of an RV panel for example.

Your "undersized" garage feed could charge about 3000 watts per hour into some batteries. If the inverter/batteries are big enough to run the loads, is passthrough really that important? Build a truly "off grid" system for the garage and use the 30 amp connection to charge batteries when the sun takes a vacation.

Back