diy solar

diy solar

when connecting 3 panels in parallel my amps did not increase-volts stayed the same.

CTF

Why did my amps not increase? when I try them in series, volts increase, amps stay the same. When parallel volts stayed the same [34] and my amps stayed the same. I have two lines of 15 panels trying to parallel 3 then run the 5 sets to a mc4 [5 way] connector. testing to make sure there won't create to many amps for my inverters. Doing this because of partial shading at the end of where my 2 rows of panels

Deleted because not applicable to the question.

Last edited:
but I was told when I parallel the three panels that the amps would increase for each panel added and volts would stay the same. Still learning appreciate the help

That's a different conversation .....

Solar panels and a charge controller is more of a dynamic situation .... The voltage, resistance of the charge controller and current levels aren't static.

I also mistakenly thought you were talking about batteries I skimmed the first part of your post too quickly ..... You'd have to study how an MPPT controller works if that is what you have ..... If its a PWM controller it would be different yet again.

Maybe someone will check in who can explain the dynamics of a solar panels and charge controller. Amps should not have stayed the same when you put the panels in parallel.

What specific panels and charge controller do you have ..... A pic of the specs on the panels would be good.

Last edited:
Why did my amps not increase? when I try them in series, volts increase, amps stay the same. When parallel volts stayed the same [34] and my amps stayed the same. I have two lines of 15 panels trying to parallel 3 then run the 5 sets to a mc4 [5 way] connector. testing to make sure there won't create to many amps for my inverters. Doing this because of partial shading at the end of where my 2 rows of panels
After reading your question again, I am wondering if there is some mixed up terminology. When you say too many amps to your inverters .... are you actually talking about your charge controllers?

Where are you measuring the current?

More detail of your setup needed.

Solarever 410w half-cell Voc-37.12V Vmp 31.35V Max power current 13.08A Short circuit 13.96A EG4 6500EX-48 48VDC/120VAC Sorry I can't download pics on my computer right now.

I am measuring the volts and amps at the solar panels. directly off of the panel wiring

Sounds like I will have to run in series. I get about 10 hours of sun a day, which is sufficient to keep the batteries at 100%. I know these are high voltage inverters just trying to keep the shading in the evening from lowering my power for the last hour. I have fuses for all the panels guess I can still use them for extra protection.

Have 6 life pro batteries, so plenty of power for my needs

Sounds like I will have to run in series. I get about 10 hours of sun a day, which is sufficient to keep the batteries at 100%. I know these are high voltage inverters just trying to keep the shading in the evening from lowering my power for the last hour. I have fuses for all the panels guess I can still use them for extra protection.

There's just not that much power available in that last hour.

A multi meter voltage tester
Lot of confusion here. Obviously you can't measure amps with "voltage tester". You can with multimeter that has amperometer, up to it's fused current range. You can not measure Impp without MPPT controller connected. So from open panel wiring you can only measure Isc short circuit current (in case it's not bigger than your amp meters fused range).

In your specific case, inverters max is 18A, so you can't put even two panels in parallel.

ps. don't use fuses for "extra protection", series string doesn't need it and doesn't give anything extra. Every extra connection is potential extra failure point.

Last edited:

diy solar

diy solar
Back