diy solar

diy solar

When is the best time to start a solar project?

Right now prices are really good. If i had to buy today what i bought to build my system 1 year ago it would be 20% cheaper.
Sorta stinks to see those numbers drop like that, but since I've had solar deployed I've produced 2488kWh, so there's some savings....of course my system didn't get PTO until December. Other family members keep putting off solar installs cause "it'll get cheaper as time goes on", which is accurate but by how much? Worth it to keep paying the utility?

The best time to start is 'as soon as possible'
If your not too sure about what solar can do, need to work with a budget, would be good to show the better half how a system will get you through a utility outage...start small but plan for the end result. Build it in stages and learn as you go.

4-6 months before your estimated peak savings from solar. That way you still feel good about it when it doesn't work as well.

Best is ten years ago. Second best time is today. Same as planting a tree.... just don't block the solar :cool:

When I win the lotto... gotta have the budget, the paywall is still pretty steep if you want to get the power company off your back at all.

Sorta stinks to see those numbers drop like that, but since I've had solar deployed I've produced 2488kWh, so there's some savings....of course my system didn't get PTO until December. Other family members keep putting off solar installs cause "it'll get cheaper as time goes on", which is accurate but by how much? Worth it to keep paying the utility?
For the things we buy that are produced in China (solar panels, lifepo4 cells) i dont think it will drop much lower than it is now and energy prices will keep going up. If shtf in the middle east, and is kind of hairy right now, one will regret not having started with their solar system now.

December for us, we are in the cool(ish) dry season so every day is a "work on the solar" day :)

I was lucky with my lady, started her off with a small system (4 x 300W panels and a couple of cheap micro-inverters).

Madam immediately spotted the potential for reducing our power bill (OK I showed her our conventional meter going backwards).

We are now at 10.6kWp of grid-tie hybrid with 10kWh of storage, plans for another 2.6kWp of panels and 20kWh of storage.

Solar is an addiction!

For our other addiction we have Madam's "pot plants" :)

Heyy, little debate! When's the prime time to launch your solar project? My vote's early spring – Rome (or a solar system) wasn't built in a day.. Gotta give yourself a few months to get ready for the summer rays!

What's your take? 👇☀️
Just after breakfast on a Saturday, if my honey do list is under control. So about 9 am.

Panel connections get done in the dark because they aren't live then.

I know I did my PV connections to the AIO after sunset.

When is the best time to start a solar project?
Immediately! LOL
Been at this in a serious way since 2020, and every year the prices are lower, the offerings are better, the forum has more and more members with better and better insight & comments!

Back