diy solar

diy solar

When on-grid, does the Sol-Ark 15k support >15kW?

axum

I've been searching for an answer to this question about the Sol-Ark 15k but I can't find a definitive answer anywhere.

It's my understanding that the Sol-Ark 15k has a 200A passthrough but I can't find any detailed information on how that works.
So the specs say that it supports 15kW if there's solar power being generated, or 12kW only from the batteries.
My question is:
Let's say I am connected to the grid (200A feed from the meter), what's going to happen if I draw 20kW (about 80 amps) on the load side? Will it work? If so, will it pull 12kW from the batteries and the remaining 8kW from the grid?
If the answer is no, what's the benefit of having the 200A passthrough?

TIA!

Use the search function on top of these pages. This has been discussed several times.

Use the search function on top of these pages. This has been discussed several times.
I did do a search, and the 200A passthrough has indeed been discussed but I can't find any information about what happens when the load exceeds 15kW.

I did do a search, and the 200A passthrough has indeed been discussed but I can't find any information about what happens when the load exceeds 15kW.
Hi axum,
You can set exactly how much you want to be drawn from batteries. Can be up to the inverter max, or less. Then grid will fill in the gap. If it's sunny out, you have the extra few kW as well as you have seen. I have never even had to think about it really. Only had it a few months though.

I believe you can draw slightly more from battery than 12k even. You could read up on people's experience with that on other threads.

Depending on settings, you could be supplying the load side with solar, battery, and grid all at the same time from what I can tell on the web-app.

Hi axum,
You can set exactly how much you want to be drawn from batteries. Can be up to the inverter max, or less. Then grid will fill in the gap. If it's sunny out, you have the extra few kW as well as you have seen. I have never even had to think about it really. Only had it a few months though.

I believe you can draw slightly more from battery than 12k even. You could read up on people's experience with that on other threads.

Depending on settings, you could be supplying the load side with solar, battery, and grid all at the same time from what I can tell on the web-app.
Thanks for your response. The reason I'm asking the question is that I'm seeing conflicting information on this forum and elsewhere. If the 200A passthrough is acting as a bypass switch, it would be "all-or-nothing", meaning that the grid would supply everything in case more than 15kW is drawn on the load side. The specs of the Sol-Ark 15k say that the max load is 15kW.

The main reason why I want to know how it works is whether I would need one or two inverters for my installation. A very common situation at my home is that I'm charging my EV (48A, 11kW), water heater on (4.5kW) and the "normal" loads (2-3 kW). That would be a total of 18kW. So would the Sol-Ark be able to handle that and only draw the "missing" 3 or 6 kW from the grid, or switch entirely to grid passthrough because the load exceeds 15kW?

The transfer switch can permit 200A to feed through the machine, and up to 15kw of that power can be supplemented by battery and PV. It is not all or nothing, it's a hybrid unit that can blend the power sources.

NOTE: with no PV, only 12kw can come from battery.

The transfer switch can permit 200A to feed through the machine, and up to 15kw of that power can be supplemented by battery and PV. It is not all or nothing, it's a hybrid unit that can blend the power sources.

NOTE: with no PV, only 12kw can come from battery.
Thanks, that's what I was hoping for. The only times I would ever need more than 15kW is when I'm charging my car in combination with some other large load. But of course I'd want most, if not all of that power coming from solar or batteries.

Thanks, that's what I was hoping for. The only times I would ever need more than 15kW is when I'm charging my car in combination with some other large load. But of course I'd want most, if not all of that power coming from solar or batteries.
Use the gen port as a smart load. Put the charger on the smart load. Turn off smart load when grid is down.

Back