diy solar

diy solar

Where to find Top Post Mount for Panel

I'd say just make your own. I made my very first solar array frames out of steel sheetrock edging. Seems like the most rinky-dink material to use, but if you position diagonal cross members every 8" or so, they can be made very rigid. Those silly frames sat on my roof for years, without a single problem.

I made my first frames out of the edging, held together with #10 bolts. Later I welded them together.

I've made several out of old satellite dish mounts. Here's one I made from an old C-Band dish. You can likely find someone that will let you haul it away if you dig up the pole and then you have the pole as well.. This one has three Renogy 100W panels on it. For a panel your size a Primestar mount would work fine. I've made a 25W panel mount from a DTV mount.

Attachments

• IMG_3198.jpg
    IMG_3198.jpg
    408.7 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_3258.jpg
    IMG_3258.jpg
    323.8 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_3272.jpg
    IMG_3272.jpg
    334.9 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_3275.jpg
    IMG_3275.jpg
    239.9 KB · Views: 16
  • Mount 12.jpg
    Mount 12.jpg
    193.7 KB · Views: 17
Here’s a small one for near the top of a pole :

They go up in size and cost from there, look around the website.

Edit: more options:

I've seen plenty online that can support 2 100 watt panels but they cost a pretty penny.

Definitely cheaper to make your own.
Specialty items can get expensive.

For a 75 watt panel I would use a Primestar mount. You can still find these around in people's yards if you look and they are usually glad to let you haul it away. Here is a pole mount I made out of a DTV mount for a 25W battery charger (I upgraded the clamps with some off a jump start box I found in the trash). And here is a couple of pics of a Primestar mount I recommend for your 75W panel. Its heavy duty and and goes on a larger diameter pole than a DTV mount. Bolt some angle on it vertically, then add horizontal pieces to the width of your panel. Bingo...easy peasy.

Attachments

• DTV 1.jpg
    DTV 1.jpg
    215.4 KB · Views: 3
  • DTV 2.jpg
    DTV 2.jpg
    135.5 KB · Views: 3
  • Primestar 1.jpg
    Primestar 1.jpg
    391 KB · Views: 3
  • Primestar 2.jpg
    Primestar 2.jpg
    472.8 KB · Views: 3
These look pretty neat. You could build something like this with unistrut yourself. His website has individual parts I see. I have no affiliation with his site nor have I used any of his stuff. Video link only for DIY ideas.

That guy has some good videos but also some sketchy stuff. He recommends using a 5 gallon bucket with water in it as a lint trap collector to reuse the heat from your dryer to heat your house. I had an apartment that was set up in a similar way (should be illegal) and had mold and mildew issues all the time. Always need the dryer vented outside. Wayyyyy too much moisture.

Back